Before I splash out, LCD or Plasma?

S

smirn

Can't decide which route to go for. Looking for 32" model of either variety. Any suggestions? Is screen burn a major problem with plasma?

I found it a choice between blockyness (plasma) and bad black definition (lcd). Still prefer them to crt though

You should visit a large Curry's superstore and compare & contrast plasma & LCD screens. Only you can make the decision as to what is best for you. Personally I prefer LCD, but others will take the opposite view.

A good summary of the differences was published in "What Plasma & LCD TV" (First Issue) which was on sale a month or two back (page 104, LCD vs Plasma).

Cheers
Nigel

At 32" I think LCD are clearly better, partly cos there is really limited choice in plasma, none of the serious players. I personally hate the hitachi 32, sharp, philips and sony do decent lcd panels in this kind of size. I'd choose the new sharp integrated digital one, due out in the next few weeks.

Originally posted by nrmsmith
You should visit a large Curry's superstore and compare & contrast plasma & LCD screens.
As mentioned in other threads if you want a comparison then currys etc aren't the best place to go as where they do have them they are usually badly set up and so give a false idea of quality.
I found through setting up many screens LCD tends to take alot of fiddling to get a reasonable picture whereas the plasmas are good after a few minutes fantastic after a good fiddle.
I'm with plasma all the way, but there aren't any fantastic 32".

If you intend attaching a PC then definitely LCD. Otherwise have a good look around. I agree with not going to Curry's to look at the quality, everything seems to run off a single RF cable! Try going to Somewhere like Hi-Spek where you can ask them to show various inputs (DVD, RF, DVB etc).

Cheers

Alex

Longevity of LCD is till a question to be answered. Plasma screen is not a good choice if you are going to use it all the time instead of a CRT as the life of plasma is quite short. The BBC use them for a year or so and then bin them as the gas inside the tube decays and once the rot starts it spreads along the tube ( a plasma display has one long tube inside I was told) I think LCD is the way to go but as a previous poster said, you need to see one set up properly, perhaps at Richer Sounds, to gauge the quality. For me though, I fancy the 36" Philips Pixel Plus tv, I know it's big but the picture is the best I have seen so far.

How about a 32" Loewe tv. Seen some real corkers about at the mo for less than £1400. The picture is far better than LCD or PLASMAs at two or three times the cost.... Just a consideration.

CH

ps. Tott Court Road has a few on sale as we speak.

System black, you are totally and utterly off beam on plasma. The gas does not decay, leak out, get stolen by aliens, or absorbed by the bottoms of passing trolls. It's the phosphors that decay, just like a CRT, only slower. The beeb cannot afford to throw plasmas away every year, unlike directors. Plasma has a life expectancy around 15 years in regular use, longer if you are a light user. LCD life is well known, they are regular technology. The only ageing component is the backlight, which is usually quoted at around 60 000 hours.

So I never said anything so bold apart from the decaying of the gas. I know they don't leak, I don't believe in aliens and the only trolls I know are the ones who appear in forums who like to be confrontational in their replies to serious statements. I was not aware that it's only the phosphors which go and if they decay less than CRT's, then the life expectancy is more like 30 years. As for the BBC statement, I have it on very good authority from a friend who works for the BBC in Manchester that the gas does go after a while. You can also see the effect in those plasma balls you can buy in gift shops that they do not respond well to stimulation after about six months of being on display. I would like some more technical info if you have it on plasmas as we can only learn by reading or being told.

Did you ever get your leg back after the cricket match was over?

I'm in possession of all my limbs, thank you for your concern. Your friend at the beeb is misinformed. You however can cure your misinformation right here with the search facility. There are about 1000 threads on plasma life. 30 years might be pushing it I reckon, they have what is described as a 1/2 life, 1/2 brightness, 1/2 contrast. Just like a CRT again. When you've owned a CRT a while you get used to the gradual fall off and scarecely notice it till you buy a shiny new one. Then the colours seem brilliant, and the screen glows with vibrant life. This is cos the goons in the factory turn brightness and contrast to max to make it look exiting out of the box.

I have had mine for around 14 months now and use it for 8 hours daily (for Sky, PC and DVD viewing). i.e it has run for around 3000 hours. I have noticed nil deterioration in PQ whatsoever and haven't touched the brightness or contrast settings since I set them up over a year ago!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom