Before I ring PC Repair

akane_1984

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some trouble with PC here, at first monitor wouldn't display seemed like gfx card was out of range, but after time it comes on, now once got into windows I updated gfx card drivers to latest firmware, but now the PC won't stay on for very long before it locks up and eventually shutsdown and powers up again automatically.

. . the amount of time you get in windows before it locks up varys.

anyone any Ideas, the machine is out of warranty with PC world so need to sort it out myself or call in PC repair guy.

Reboot into safe mode uninstall the drivers for the graphics card and then install from fresh. Also update your direct x drivers. If that does not work open up the case and check that the card is ok.

P.S Don't go near pc world near the abbey centre!!!!

Reboot into safe mode uninstall the drivers for the graphics card and then install from fresh. Also update your direct x drivers. If that does not work open up the case and check that the card is ok.

P.S Don't go near pc world near the abbey centre!!!!

Ha that is where my brother got this 'Advent machine' 5 years old now. My machine is custom built and is 6 years old no trouble lol

anyways, will try that now.

uninstalled gfx card drivers, has solved problem of monitor not displaying, displays every time now but still even in safe mode the machine is locking up.

Might be that your graphics card or processer is getting too hot try taking off the side of the case see if it makes any difference. :smashin:

Might be that your graphics card or processer is getting too hot try taking off the side of the case see if it makes any difference. :smashin:

Ok will try that.

I would remove the case and see what happens!!!!

Then run chk dsk in dos works a treat.

Also check your startup for anything strange.

You can also check the event viewer and see if anything is locking up.

Not at a machine but I belive you can get it to do a error dump into a txt file when you crash its quite handy only when you can remember how to do it !!!.

Its on the right click my computer and properties option!!!

Not at a machine but I belive you can get it to do a error dump into a txt file when you crash its quite handy only when you can remember how to do it !!!.

very good ideas thanks. . will give them a go. :smashin:

Hi again, removed the case and re seated the gfx card and memory then checked all other cabling inside, machine seems to sound like its starting up ok but it takes a random amount of times to power it on and off before it will display on tft. . and when it DOES display, this morning I was trying to get into a xp cd to boot but it frooze on bios screen, second time frooze on hit any key to boot from cd. .

anyone any idea whats up. I have give up for the moment as for last 20/30 mins I have been trying to power it on but tft is back to blinking green.

The fact that the screen is blinking green would point to the graphics card/monitor/drivers.

As you have already re-seated the card,and re-installed the drivers, I suspect the graphics card is faulty.

There are a number of other things it could be,Processor/motherboard,but on the description you give,graphics card is favourite.

The only way to find out,is try another card,any card will do,just to test the theory.

Alan

The fact that the screen is blinking green would point to the graphics card/monitor/drivers.

As you have already re-seated the card,and re-installed the drivers, I suspect the graphics card is faulty.

There are a number of other things it could be,Processor/motherboard,but on the description you give,graphics card is favourite.

The only way to find out,is try another card,any card will do,just to test the theory.

Alan

ah ok, would graphics card explain the pc locking up when it does allow you to see whats on the monitor? I have tried my monitor on brothers machine and it blinks green too.

I could try later today putting my card in his machine just as you say to test the theory.

thanks, will report back what happens.

I would personally ask a friend who has a apg/pci-x gfx card and put it in your machine to start narrowing down the problems.

Heat is usually the most common problem but not being able to boot up the disc fully in bios does sound strange.

I would start disconnecting stuff you dont need right away eg 2nd Harddrive, usb web cams etc etc.

just have the most basic requirements

ps2 keyboard
ps2 or usb mouse
dvd/cd drive

and most important of all

TIME!! :rotfl:

I would personally ask a friend who has a apg/pci-x gfx card and put it in your machine to start narrowing down the problems.

Heat is usually the most common problem but not being able to boot up the disc fully in bios does sound strange.

I would start disconnecting stuff you dont need right away eg 2nd Harddrive, usb web cams etc etc.

just have the most basic requirements

ps2 keyboard
ps2 or usb mouse
dvd/cd drive

and most important of all

TIME!! :rotfl:

well tried disconnecting a lot of things only things connected now are mouse & keyboard and gfx and obviously power lol but still tft blinks, occasionally will show on screen but then you don't get much time before the pc locks up and restarts.

gonna try gfx card switch later, or latest tomorrow, and come back with results.

The problem with this sort of fault is that it can only be cured by substituting suspect parts.Easy to do if you have spares lying round,most of us don't.

You say you have tried your monitor on your Brothers computer,and it still flashes green.

How about trying your Brothers monitor on your computer,if it does the same,then the solution is probably the monitor.

Alan

The problem with this sort of fault is that it can only be cured by substituting suspect parts.Easy to do if you have spares lying round,most of us don't.

You say you have tried your monitor on your Brothers computer,and it still flashes green.

How about trying your Brothers monitor on your computer,if it does the same,then the solution is probably the monitor.

Alan

hey another good idea thanks will do that too today.

Ok Update: Tried my gfx card in brothers machine and monitor still blinked green. So then I tried brothers monitor on my machine and it worked first time.

. . so back to square one.

I wouldn't think you are back to square one.

You now have the answer to the problem,the graphics card is faulty.

Alan

I wouldn't think you are back to square one.

You now have the answer to the problem,the graphics card is faulty.

Alan

yes but my gfx card in agp slot wouldn't work?? . . . .

No that is the wrong answer, sounds like your TFT is faulty you have done the following correct? :-

1. Your monitor in your PC - Green Flicker
2. Your monitor into Bro's machine - Green Flicker
3. Your graphics card in Bro's machine with Bro's monitor - Fine
4. Your graphics card in your machine with Bro's Monitor - Fine

I would say the problem is your monitor.

Shouldn't cause your PC to lock up tho, but it might just be your monitor has stopped. Could be worth trying to swap over monitors once booted to see if the display is different.

No that is the wrong answer, sounds like your TFT is faulty you have done the following correct? :-

1. Your monitor in your PC - Green Flicker
2. Your monitor into Bro's machine - Green Flicker
3. Your graphics card in Bro's machine with Bro's monitor - Fine
4. Your graphics card in your machine with Bro's Monitor - Fine

I would say the problem is your monitor.

Shouldn't cause your PC to lock up tho, but it might just be your monitor has stopped. Could be worth trying to swap over monitors once booted to see if the display is different.

maybe am confusing people its brothers pc that is at fault and heres what I have done so far;

1.My monitor on brothers PC - Green Flicker
2.Brothers monitor on my PC - Fine
3. My gfx card in brothers PC with his monitor - Green Flicker
4. My gfx card in brothers PC with my monitor - Green Flicker

. . So it can't be his monitor if his monitor works fine up in my room and I can't understand if his gfx card was broke then how come my gfx card in his machine also cause the monitor to flicker green. Could the agp slot or motherboard be at fault?

Ok my thoughts on this now (thanks for the clarity!) is that you are most probably looking at a motherboard problem.

Random lock-ups, flickering, unable to boot from CD etc. smacks of a motherboard fault. There is also some chance that it could be RAM, if there are two sticks just try using one at a time and see what happens. My experience here though is usually RAM problems will let you load stuff and then just complain about exceptions and crash.

If it is the motherboard, then you are looking at a large refit to fix. It could be a dodgy PSU, but this has likely fried your motherboard in the process. It may be worth looking at changing both.

I know it doesn't help but CPU could also be at fault, but unless you are able to swap it around you won't know.

I would doubt it is simply an overheating problem, as it would have been apparent from the start. It is likely a damaged component, motherboard, RAM or CPU that has just slowly given up.

In times like this, I have usually found the only option is to go for a complete bare-bones refit, as the machine is 5 years old, it is most probably due an overhaul. If you don't have the cash, then you will really need to test everything to work out the fault. You are only really back to square 2 :) You know now the graphics card is not the problem :)

thanks mate for responce, yeah its out of its warranty with PC world funny enough last time we had trouble with it the engineer that came out gave my brother a new mobo and cpu, stuck on what to do really brother is young so really I am just informing mum and dad to what can be done . . I could probably fit another mobo for him but then as you say if the cpu or psu was at fault problem could come back, would it maybe be worth taking it to a pc shop with information I already have and see if they could nail down the problem?

I would also just try a BIOS reset to default setings, make a note of the readings before doing the reset.

I would also just try a BIOS reset to default setings, make a note of the readings before doing the reset.

on the occasions that the machine displays something on boot it doesn't last long before machine locks up.

if you cant even get to the bios you can rule out the cpu as you can go into the bios without a processor in the pc. Ram however i think causes the pc to beep and won't let you into it, though you may be able to get into the bios without any ram either.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom