Before I purchase...

paul cliff

Looking at replacing my Logitech z-5400 with a receiver and 5.1 arrangement.

Richersounds have the Denon AVR-x500 for £99 in store (assuming its in stock), which seems like a steal to me.

I was thinking of pairing with the BA system here: Boston Acoustics 5.1 MKII Surround Sound Speaker System - Black: Amazon.co.uk: TV

I'd like to keep it under £350 but could stretch to £400 - on that point I'd need to buy a sub cable as well.

Anything I should know/advice?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I've got last years version of the x500, the 1513, and it's a perfectly good amp. Only problem is no room correction on this model and that might be important. You could match the Bostons with a Yamaha 375 and still come in under 400. I'd prefer that option to the denon. The sub cable is a fiver on amazon.

paul cliff

I've got last years version of the x500, the 1513, and it's a perfectly good amp. Only problem is no room correction on this model and that might be important. You could match the Bostons with a Yamaha 375 and still come in under 400. I'd prefer that option to the denon. The sub cable is a fiver on amazon.

Thanks, can you explain room correction, is that different to setting individual levels for each speaker? or is it some automated process?

I did see the Yamaha 375 but I liked the forward facing HDMI port on the Denon, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Are cheap sub cables OK then (or this a question nobody will ever agree on)?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Room correction is more than just setting the levels. Yamaha uses a proprietary algorithm called ypao. It takes into account the room characteristics and tries to compensate and improve the audio. Usually it's worthwhile and you can hear the difference. It will set the levels of the speakers for you aiming to have equal volume on each speaker arriving at the listening point at the same time.

Cheap sub cables are fine and I think I'm currently using the one below. I've got more bass than I know what to do with :thumbsdow

Fisual Subwoofer Cable - 3m - Pro Install Series: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

paul cliff

Cheap cable it is then :lesson:

Thanks, I'll check out the ypao and see if the Yamaha is worth the extra £70

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom