1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before I buy a Sony NW-HD5 (need some info if you have one)....

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by abcd9146, Sep 1, 2005.

1. abcd9146

abcd9146

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a question i want to ask.
    if i buy it in sydney, australia (where i live):
    does the hd5 supprt chinese/korean/japanese song titles/album/artists? also, does the machine have japanese menu?
    it is AU$479 retail (anyone know where i can get it for cheaper?)

also, i can buy it in hong kong:
    would it be better to buy in hk because there is a bigger chance that itll display chinese/korean/japanese characters? but then im scared that it will stuff up and i wont be able to get it changed.
    it is HK$2398 (around AU$410) (it can probably be cheaper)

where do you think i should but it? (or not buy it cos it doesnt support chinese/korean/japanese characters.) i dun really care abt price, i jus care abt the chinese/korean/japanese characters and the warranty.

2. johnalkateb

johnalkateb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i have the european version of the hd5 and in the language menu it has a language that i can only describe as chineese looking. So i would guess if the australian version shouldnt be too far of our ones then it should be able to support chineese. hopefully someone else too can confrim what i just said.

3. Aargh

Aargh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Australian version also has a language with an asian character set. I wouldn't have the faintest idea what it is though, you're best bet would be to have a look at one in store and see if it supports what you want. Also you can get it for under the $480 list price in sydney quite easily. I bought mine from G&V Imaging on George St about 2 months ago for about $450

4. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Australian version (which I have) does have an option to display menus in Japanese.

As for whether tracks, albums, and artists can be displayed in Asian languages, I'll try to check tonight. According to the documentation I've read, the "E", Taiwan, Korean, Chinese and Tourist models can display characters in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese and Korean. But I'll try to find out if the Australian model fits into that category.

Andrew

5. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, I don't know if the original poster still wants this info, but I've done some testing on my (Australian) HD5 and although you can display menus in Japanese, it would seem that it does not display tracks, albums or artists in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese or Korean.

(Note that I didn't actually try loading any Chinese/Korean/Japanese music as I don't have any, but I deduced this by looking through the service manual.)

Andrew

6. abcd9146

abcd9146

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, now i have to reconsider getting one :( (and it looks really cool...)

oh, and do u kno if the model sold in hk or japan is the same on as in australia?

7. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, it is not. The one sold in Australia is the Australian model. It would seem you would need to buy your HD5 in HK or Japan.

Andrew

8. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a japanese model HD5, and it seems that US SS doesnt like files with japanese or chinese characters, either that or its because I didnt install japanese/chinese char sets. Either way I renamed the mp3, imported, and transfered, and on the HD5, it was still funny lettered. I switched to japanese menu mode, and it was the same thing. I installed asian language pack for xp, and will try again after a reboot

-Sulk