• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

been waitin ages for hd to come down and now im moving house! any advice please?

L

laughingboy

hi. like many of you ive been waiting for (what seems like years) for sky to do the decent thing and reduce the price of HD for existing customers.

Im moving house next month so do i:

1- cancel, phone them and get a new sub at the new address?

2- as 1, but in my wives name

3- be up front and ask them straight (probably not a good idea with sky's method of treating paying customers)

advice from the floor please!!!

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
No harm in asking outright, but without giving the new address details. plenty of stories on new customers getting HD for £99 on here, although sometimes conditional on taking other services.

Don't forget you're giving them 30 days notice to cancel so if you want to do the new custoemr thing then drop your package right down and then cancel.

dave_turk

Established Member
hi. like many of you ive been waiting for (what seems like years) for sky to do the decent thing and reduce the price of HD for existing customers.

Im moving house next month so do i:

1- cancel, phone them and get a new sub at the new address?

2- as 1, but in my wives name

3- be up front and ask them straight (probably not a good idea with sky's method of treating paying customers)

advice from the floor please!!!

When I moved, sky said to take my box, but leave the dish etc there and they would come and do a new installation for free (I decided not to do this and cancelled anyway). As you want to upgrade to HD, I would personally cancel the sub and take out a new one. Until 31/5 you can get Sky for 99 + 30 install from sky retail (the guys in the shopping centres). Alternatively, there's a guy on digitalspy who can sort it out if you don't have any others in your area (he has sorted mine out, I move next month). I think you might have to use a different bank account to setup the new DD.

Hi-Def

Established Member
I just cancelled at the old place supposed to do it 30 days in advance but we didnt have that long so paid about 2 weeks extra

but got a new sub at the new place with HD for £130 fitted and on the same name and same bank account

no problems at all

sdmac27

Standard Member
When I moved, sky said to take my box, but leave the dish etc there and they would come and do a new installation for free (I decided not to do this and cancelled anyway). As you want to upgrade to HD, I would personally cancel the sub and take out a new one. Until 31/5 you can get Sky for 99 + 30 install from sky retail (the guys in the shopping centres). Alternatively, there's a guy on digitalspy who can sort it out if you don't have any others in your area (he has sorted mine out, I move next month). I think you might have to use a different bank account to setup the new DD.

I did the above as my original sub was in the wife's name. Found a sky retail stand in my local shopping centre and got a weekend installation 4 days later for £129 all in with no other products taken out. I thinks it's definitely the best way to get cheaper HD unless you get a very helpful person on the phone from sky!

L

laughingboy

thanks for the replies.

I spoke to sky yesterday by phone- not a satisfactory experience i can tell you. While i have sympathy for anyone forced to work in a call centre it quickly evaporated after 20 minutes of calm explanation on my part and 20 minutes of patronising condescention on their part. At no point did the common sense part of their brains burst into life.

I explained i was moving to another house, how much to upgrade to HD there? Full £260. I explained i could cancel and join using my flatmates details and get it for much less. Still £260.

So i said fine, ill go ahead with the plan ive just explained, please put me through to cancellations. The guy there tried about 30 different angles on why i shouldnt cancel, none of which was more convincing than £160 saving.

Surely one of these folk should have a little think and realise that im going to do what saves me money and no amount of discussion is going to stop that. In any other business there would be a moment of consideration then 'ok, we'll give it to you for £xxx' but not with these guys!

If there was a viable alternative i would use them. Pity Virgin isnt presently up to scratch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom