Been to Geneva? (City break suggestions)

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to book a city break for the end of November.

Geneva strikes us as a nice spot, close enough to the alps for some nice scenery etc and the Christmas markets should be in full swing.

Anyone have any experience?

Or any other European cities that are nice at this time of the year?

I've only been to Geneva with work but I can tell you it's one of the more expensive cities to visit. For example at the time I was there, two pints cost over £15, a two course dinner for one was between £40-50.

That said, it's a lovely city, especially down by the water where there are loads of nice walking routes and the spectacular Jete d'Eau (think that's what it's called) that shoots a column of water a few hundred feet in the air.

Rome is a beautiful city I went in march tho so can't comment on the weather at this time of year.

Lausanne is much nicer than Geneva in my opinion. You can fly to Geneva then get the train to Lausanne, takes about 40 mins. You could base yourself there and then go and see Geneva for the day.

If you fancy the Christmas markets then I would go to Germany. You can do a city break in Berlin, Munich or a few other cities that have great markets.

If you want Switzerland and Christmas markets, go to Zurich, Basel or Luzern.

Otherwise, go to Vienna, Salzburg, Prague, Nuremberg, Munich, Stuttgart or Cologne.

Been to Cologne before, so probably not going to do Germany.

I'm flying from Dublin so options are limited for flights.

I'll look into Lausanne in term of hotels. Geneva is certainly very expensive on that front!

I had a beak in Geneva about 15 years ago. Really enjoyed it. It's one of those cities that makes you feel ugly and poor though - everybody seems to be beautiful and rich. Great watch and chocolate shops.

Have you considered Brugges? Really nice for a few days, excellent food, really nice cafes around the main square. Cruise the canals, take a horse and carriage ride around cobbled streets.

I'd also recommend Llublijana if you like old cities and Vienna if you like spending money. If you go to Vienna, it's only 45 mins on the train to Bratislava which is quite interesting.

Ended up ruling Geneva out based on cost.

£200 on flights, at least £500 for 4 nights in a fairly decent but not spectacular hotel.

Add in spending money for a few days and you're up to well over a grand for a short break. Plus our dog and cat boarding costs €40 a night!

We ended up booking Barcelona. Flights only £110, very s****y 4* hotel just £240.

I gather it's cheaper for eating etc too but even on flights and hotels were down from £700 to £350.

yep, we looked at geneva a while back as there was some very cheap flights (30pp each way?) - but then we saw how much everything else was... :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom