Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Been to any concerts?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by The_Curmudgeon, Jun 24, 2003.

1. The_Curmudgeon

The_Curmudgeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this topic has been brought up before, but that was before The Curmudgeon's time, therefore meaningless.

I've just came back from a (shudder) Bon Jovi concert. NOT The Curmudgeon's idea, more to keep my girlfriend happy. And, annoyingly, it wasn't terrible. In fact, ultra annoyingly, it was far from terrible. What they do, they do very well, I'll give them that. And even the hardest heart warms to "Living On A Prayer".

Still, I love live gigs. Been to see, in no order, Foo Fighters, Marilyn Manson, Prince, Placebo, Blur, Ash, Sonic Youth, Idlewild, Redd Kross, Aerosmith, Reef, Kenickie, Garbage, Soundgarden, Terrorvision, Jamiroquai, Bush, Feeder, Seafood, Electric Six and Electric Soft Parade, among others.

In another "please girlfriend" moment, I am also going to see Robbie Williams next week. I don't mind that as much, but, tchoh! Can you IMAGINE the crowd?

Anyone else?

2. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have seen Robbie twice Aberdeen & Hampden Park Glasgow real ladies man but puts on a hell of a concert went with my missus and 2 daughters and had a whale of a time.Quite a sight to see 40,000 bouncing and swinging all night and that was just the ladies!!!!!!!!. Seen Oasis a couple of times as well but being in the middle of that kind of crowd is a little scary for a littleish guy,would love to see the Eagles in concert big fan went to a tribute gig once illegal eagles and they were fantastic.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Off to see The Thrills tonight at the Cornerhouse in Middlesborough and Kevin Montgomery and the Road Trippers at a local blues club and The Black Keys at Nottingham next month.
    Finally October for The Donnas at Rock City.

Went to see Hell is For Heroes at Newcastle Uni and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Notts, just missed tickets for Radiohead at Newcastle Arena:(

4. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to go see small local bands play at my local hang out. There's normally someone on every weekend, the most famours people to play there were "The Burn" (BlackBURN is their home town) and Mr Scruff did a set here not long ago. Favorites who you'll never hear of include Rocket Dog and Sleeping at the Popes.

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Saw QOTSA and Sparta at Brixton Academy on Sunday night - a really good gig. The week before that I saw Tricky at the Royal Festival Hall, saw The Hives, The Chili peppers, White Stripes and a few others in the past few months. Off to glastonbury on thursday (if that counts) and have tickets for Radiohead in November. My missus loves live music too so I dont get any grief about spending too much on tickets. Which is nice.

6. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    went to see an irish band called relish a couple of weeks ago and they were excellent.i`m sure they will make inroads into the british market soon.
    in august i`m off to slane to see red hot chili peppers,foo fighters, qotsa, feeder,and pj harvey.

7. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Caught them on Saturday as part of The Coral event and they were excellent so you'll get a good show tonight. Are The Zutons supporting ? If so, they are worth a listen on the strength of their debut single alone.

Re: The Coral gig. Only caught the last 3 bands i.e. The Thrills, The Libertines, The Coral. ALL were exceptional and a priviledge to see but The Libertines stole the show for me. I've never paid much attention to their output but they're blistering live...even with a band member missing. Recommended.

8. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    went to see eminem and 50cents at milton keynes on this saturday, very good indeed

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I dont know who is supporting them ?

Seen the Libertines on TV a few times and listened to a few tracks and I am also impressed, not sure I would buy an album on the strength of their live stuff just yet.

10. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Apparantly 50 Cent was wearing a bullet proof vest on stage until about half way through when he took his shirt off. Not suprised though the bloke has been shot about 9 times, I'd be paranoid.

11. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously.... METALLICA x 5 ( and Reading in August), plus Sepultura, Live x 3, Machine Head, Megadeth x 3, Slayer x 3, Faith No More x 2, The Rollins Band, Anthrax, QOTSA, Motorhead, Donington '94, ' 95, '96, Ozzfest x 3 , AC/DC, The offspring, Ozzy & Sabbath, Queensryche

and the coolest ever.... KYUSS 1995

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The Zutons were support and I have to say I thought they were better than The Thrills (who were slightly less than thrilling). The Zutons final two songs included the single (not that I knew it was the single, except somebody next to me told me), both excellent tracks, the single is fantastic. Great interplay between guitars and sax, they look like a group to watch, but Im not sure about that name:rolleyes:

The Thrills were good, but the sound was poor, some people tried to mosh along to stuff that sounded suspiciously like Rod Stewart and the Faces, they also started the gig late at around 10:30, with a guitarist that looked completely off his block and made a right hash of a solo.

13. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The single is indeed great and very refreshing. I was suspecting a La's sound before spinning it but ploughs its own furrow. A little like Alfie, I suppose.

So you didn't get the sound of the summer ? A Teenage Fanclub without the grunge record collection ? To be fair, I can't see them working live without the sound being spot on. They rely too much on harmonies if nothing else.

Late bands too. Who needs it ? Never sets the audience up to be in the most receptive of moods.

14. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    :mad: :mad: :mad: was wot we was waiting for them to open the doors.

Where can I get a download of the single?? as it seems you can only buy one for 30 quid on ebay:rolleyes:

15. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Karkus -- You have a PM.

16. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Saw 'Joe Jackson' on Tuesday night.
    First time i've seen him live. He was brilliant, as well as the rest of the band ofcoarse.
    If he's playing in your area go and see him, you won't be disappointed (that's if you like his music:))

I've also seen:
    Depeche mode
    The who
    Smashing pumpkins
    Orbital
    Air
    Slipknot :)
    Gary numan
    The Hives
    The mighty mighty bosstones

Did have tickets to see 'Fishcerspooner' but they cancelled at the last minute which was a disappointment.

17. Stevo99

Stevo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Saw Bon Jovi last night at Old Trafford, it was awesome, thats the 3rd time ive seen them now.

Also seen Oasis x2, Eminem, Texas, Westlife, Pop Idol concert, Kylie, thats it i think

18. Chownie

Chownie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I went to the Download festival which has put me in the mood for concerts. I had previously only been to 2 concerts before and they whre Madonna and Genesis years ago. This year I am going to see Murder Dolls, The Cramps, The Meteors and Gary Numan (can't wait for GN, the 'Hybrid' album is awesome!)

19. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm in desperate need of a decent concert at some point soon, although I have been to see in my time

Metallica, Guns 'N' Roses, The Black Crowes, Blur, Paul Weller x3/4, The Eagles (good), Depeche Mode (really good) and Neil Finn (even better!) among others.

Not seen anything since Depeche Mode at Manchester MEN in Sept/Oct 2001

20. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rocket Dog are playing the Cellar Bar in Blackburn for anyone in this area - I strongly suggest you go to this gig, it'll be ace.

21. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    i'm taking my daughter to see Good Charlotte on friday at the Glasgow Academy.

adrenochrome.

22. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Saw Deep Purple, Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Darkness recently, muchly good gig. 'Free Bird' live is something I will not forget until I'm pushing up daisies.

23. Patrick Navin

Patrick Navin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This year is shaping up well (after a dismal 2002 for decent gigs). So far I've seen the Jayhawks (acoustic gig at Dingwalls), The Be-Good Tanyas, Teenage Fanclub, Brendan Benson, Queens of the Stoneage, Will Oldham, Smog and have tickets to Sparklehorse, the Pernice Brothers and Cracker.

What with The Thorns, Fountains of Wayne and possibly Wilco touring later in the year, it's looking exceptional.

My only fear is that one or other of my favourites will eventually get popular and I'll be left with the "do I go to an enormodome concert" dilemma

Patrick (who simply wont go if its any bigger than Sheperds Bush Empire)

:rolleyes:

24. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    just back from this and can honestly say i was very impressed these guys have tons of energy really made me feel my age :(

my daughter tells me we shall be seeing them when they come back in december:smashin:

adrenochrome.