been sold copies??

calibradtm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I ordered duck dynasty season 1 from play.com. the seller was called cannystore1 and has 100% feedback from 105 transactions. on inspection the tops of the dvd's look legitimate but alarm bells started ringing when I looked at the bottom of the discs, they are purple and you can even see where the data has been burnt onto the disc! surely these are illegal copies I've been sold?

this is an email I have just had from them:

Hi,

Thank you for emailing,

Please be assured that we officially work with many rights owning groups in offering their titles through our DVD on demand systems. Partners include The History Channel, The Discovery Channel, The Open University and many others. This means the discs are reproduced on the highest grade dvd-r discs.

If you aren't 100% happy with this process I can offer you a full refund,

Best,

Mike

Cheeky SOB's !

Yes they are illegal copies , see if you can get a refund !

to be fair they have offered me a full refund so I will take it and return the discs to them.

to be fair they have offered me a full refund so I will take it and return the discs to them.

Don't send them back just throw them into the bin as legally you can't send counterfeit goods through the post

Don't send them back just throw them into the bin as legally you can't send counterfeit goods through the post

Most of these criminals have a dodgy "business model" whereby you either have to pay to return the goods and its not worth it , or in this case you cannot return the goods without breaking the law yourself,

Maybe its best to just go straight to the Police ? I would report them in any case , regardless of whether I get a refund or not , and also post a warning on every single site like this that I know about , its surprising how quickly word gets around about dodgy sellers like this.

full refund received, told me to keep the discs (probably don't want bad publicity)

Amazon.com do an "On Demand" service which I imagine is fairly similar

I had something similar around 2 years back when I ordered a Family Guy set from a PlayTrade seller. Had good feedback and was at a pretty good price. Upon receiving it I noticed straight away that it looked like a copy, the fact the case art looked like a scanned printout and had a faded look to it.
The slipcase was really well done and compared to the real slip the difference was minimal.

When I played the disc it just seemed slightly off and the image had a slight judder to it. Also the little ad at the start that says thank you for buying this genuine dvd started about 3 seconds in! I emailed the seller and they tried to say it was a region 1 disc and this was the reason for the slight variations. I wasn't having any of it as I know it couldn't of been as it was all plastered with region 2 logos and BBFC ratings that would not appear on region 1 discs.

I emailed them back and said I was going to take it further and they offered me a full refund and even said keep the one I had. I sent an email to Play regarding it but nothing came of it and as far as I know they are still selling. Be careful is all I say.

Amazon.com do an "On Demand" service which I imagine is fairly similar
Yes, but Amazon's "On Demand" service is for minority interest releases that would otherwise not be available to buy as there isn't enough interest for a full release. They don't do "On-Demand" for titles that are already available on DVD.

Cannystore seems to be doing "On Demand" for readily available titles.
They also have BBC titles such as Planet Earth, Doctor Who etc AND Disney Titles!!! I'll eat my hat if the BBC & especially Disney has authorised Cannystore to sell DVD-Rs:suicide:

I had something similar around 2 years back when I ordered a Family Guy set from a PlayTrade seller. . . .

When I played the disc it just seemed slightly off and the image had a slight judder to it.
Did you re-order Family Guy? I seem to recall the first couple of seasons did look terrible anyway.

Yes, but Amazon's "On Demand" service is for minority interest releases that would otherwise not be available to buy as there isn't enough interest for a full release. They don't do "On-Demand" for titles that are already available on DVD.

They also have BBC titles such as Planet Earth, Doctor Who etc AND Disney Titles!!! I'll eat my hat if the BBC & especially Disney has authorised Cannystore to sell DVD-Rs:suicide:

Fair point :)

Out of curiosity I have sent a question to the BBC - I'll let you know what they say...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom