Been offered a new HD box for FREE!?!?!

dogllabtoof

Standard Member
Hello,

My wife has just had a phone call from SKY, and they have offered to upgrade our HD box free of charge.
Was just wondering if this is genuine or if it is some kind of scam??? Probably not i know, but just seems too good to be true. Especially as they have been neverending phone calls over the last year or two trying to get me to buy insurance incase my box breaks down.

If this is genuine, does anyone know if i own my current box???? and therefore can insist that i keep it as a spare should the new one fail once the warrenty is up???

Thanks

tvdavid

Is there any chance your also with Sky BB if so they might be offering this to you for the new anytime+.
If you do take the offer I think you will be tide to a new 12 month contract to.

The current box is yours so you can have it in another room after.

dogllabtoof

Standard Member
Yeah have the Broadband as well. Is the sky anytime+ a completely free service or do you get charged for whatever you watch?

logiciel

Hi and welcome to AVF,
It's one of the first forum rules that you check to see whether your topic has been discussed before, and this one has - many times - as you'll see from numerous adjacent threads.
They've been giving people free receivers for ages now just for the asking, and they have recently starting using the Anytime+ thing as a reason for doing it the other way and actually contacting people to take one.
They often tell people it's an exchange and try to take your current receiver, but it's yours and the thing to do is to refuse to let it go anywhere.
The best way to do that is to insist on the new one being delivered by Parcelforce, rather than take the so-called "installation" that consists of their guy plugging in a few cables.
The Anytime+ thing IS free, though whether it's worth that much is a matter of opinion.:D

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Hello,

My wife has just had a phone call from SKY, and they have offered to upgrade our HD box free of charge.
Was just wondering if this is genuine or if it is some kind of scam??? Probably not i know, but just seems too good to be true. Especially as they have been neverending phone calls over the last year or two trying to get me to buy insurance incase my box breaks down.

If this is genuine, does anyone know if i own my current box???? and therefore can insist that i keep it as a spare should the new one fail once the warrenty is up???

Thanks

The offer is genuine and it was stressed to me when Sky phoned me with this deal that it was an exchange of a brand new box for my old Thomson . On this basis they are perfectly entitled to remove your old box in exchange for the new one (contrary to Logiciels advice?? above - if you don't want to lose your old box then don't accept the new one). Sky are doing this exchange scheme to remove Thomson boxes from the subscriber base as they will no longer be supporting them with software upgrades or any technical support. There is a distinct possibility even if you managed to keep your old box that it would be incompatible by the time that your warranty ran out and as was intimated to me that Customer Service would no longer be able to pair viewing cards with these boxes (something their system is quite capable of doing).

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Is there any chance your also with Sky BB if so they might be offering this to you for the new anytime+.
If you do take the offer I think you will be tide to a new 12 month contract to.

The current box is yours so you can have it in another room after.

The latest exchange scheme is not linked to having Sky BB. I was phoned with this offer although I do not have Sky BB and the Thomson HD box was on a multiroom sub without the HD sub and there was no mention whatsoever of an additional 12 month contract.

Although the current box is my property it was stressed that the new box was an exchange for my old box as Sky are removing them from the subscriber base.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
They've been giving people free receivers for ages now just for the asking, and they have recently starting using the Anytime+ thing as a reason for doing it the other way and actually contacting people to take one.
They often tell people it's an exchange and try to take your current receiver, but it's yours and the thing to do is to refuse to let it go anywhere.
The best way to do that is to insist on the new one being delivered by Parcelforce, rather than take the so-called "installation" that consists of their guy plugging in a few cables.
The Anytime+ thing IS free, though whether it's worth that much is a matter of opinion.:D

Why do you persist in this fallacious advice. Sky have finally got round to doing a "recall" on the old Thomson HD boxes - something many people have been saying they should have been doing for some time. The latest offer is an exchange scheme to remove the old boxes and replace them with new ones - the key word being replace NOT just give you a new box. The main reason behind it is that Sky will no longer be supporting the Thomson HD boxes either software or technical support as they are incompatible with the latest Darwin software and not just for Anytime+ and they are attempting to remove the Thomson boxes from the subscriber base. If this was a recall on some different appliance would you then think it totally OK to say keep your old one and demand a new one?

Installation if done correctly should involve at least a basic health check on the current system which as the boxes are at least 3 years old would mean that the rest of the setup is at least as old and in most cases where the HD box was an upgrade considerably older so self installation is not an option on their system in this scheme.

Last edited:

czytt

I wonder how peristent they will be.

I don't want to swap out my (very - day 1) old Thomson, if I do have it forced on me I'll want to copy stuff from the HDD, which means I'll have to put the original HDD back in before the swap. Sigh.

Not only that, I had the video processor calibrated with the Thomson, and I can't afford to get that done again.

Those who use the component output (not me, thankfully) are going to have to kiss their TV/projector behind, I assume.

I'd better go and search for that thread on copying from Thomson to the 1.5 Tb Amstrad (and yes, I know I wouldn't get that box for free) ...

Jerry

Last edited:

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I wonder how peristent they will be.

I don't want to swap out my (very - day 1) old Thomson, if I do have it forced on me I'll want to copy stuff from the HDD, which means I'll have to put the original HDD back in before the swap. Sigh.

It depends on the "engineer" you get for the installation.

When I rang Sky about Anytime + (knowing my Thompson was incompatible) the lady on the phone offered me the new free box and said the Thompson was mine to do with what I liked.

The "engineer" insisted he was supposed to take it away as they'd had a circular saying this was a straight swap and they had to take the old box away. I explained that I hadn't been offered the deal in question and explained what they'd said on the phone and he left it at that.

simon194

The terms in the official flyer I got through the post states it's a replacement box so the installer should take the old box. It's why there isn't a self install option for the offer.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
The box mine came in distinctly had "Swap" on the delivery label.

dogma6

Well I got my free replacement box on Friday :thumbsup: I don't have sky bb and the engineer clearly stated that the old HD box was mines and they didn't want them back. The new box was brand new and not a refurb.

I was also told by sky that I was not tied into a new contract. They are just trying to get rid of all the old HD boxes out there.

cheers

logiciel

it was stressed to me when Sky phoned me with this deal that it was an exchange of a brand new box for my old Thomson. On this basis they are perfectly entitled to remove your old box in exchange for the new one (contrary to Logiciels advice?)
That would be absolutely right, IF they always stressed that or even mentioned it, and IF the installers always tried to take the old one, which in both cases they often - or usually - don't.

Again your comment on the "installation", that it includes "a basic health check on the current system", is fine. However my "advice" on that is based on the customer being prepared to forego that service - it should be up to him to decide.

I do question though, that "Sky have finally got round to doing a "recall" on the old Thomson HD boxes", is a fact; or that doing is so is something "they should have been doing for some time". The Thomsons are popular with many users who would be want to keep them, if only for secondary use.

Posts #12 and #13 confirm that this is not a clear-cut matter. It does all depend on the Sky individuals involved in the particular case.

Last edited:

Trev S-J

Standard Member
Just like to add what Sky said in a reply from their customer service regarding a faulty thomson box which I asked to be replaced.......
Quote:
"Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
I have looked into your account and I have checked your box replacement. You will not be eligable for the box swap out as this is an offer for customers who have unlimited broadband in order for you to receive our sky anytime+ service.
As you do not have the unlimited broadband you will not benefit from our anytime+ services, therefore your box will not be replaced. I apologise for the inconvenience this may cause to you.
In regards to the failed recordings that you are getting what is the reason the recordings are failing? You will have a reason in the information part next to the mini TV. It will say failed recording due to (No signal, power cut etc)."

It went on to state the usual dross regarding how to reboot etc.which I am perfectly capable of doing.
Suffice to say I decided to get a receiver from ebay with a larger harddrive and at half the price the lady I spoke later to at Sky offered me as a
" special offer and the best I can do in the circumstances ".
This is the best they could do for a customer of 21yrs and with the full Sky World package /multiroom and ESPN !!!.

So much for loyalty (unfortunately there is no alternative for our area of the country like many others have found out and I believe Sky must be aware of this by virtue of postcode etc. ) At least I have a reliable receiver now !!??(by the way the psu had already been repaired by a reputable engineer on the original Thomson ) I am beginning to think it`s more like a lucky draw when you contact Sky nowadays !!

Trev S-J

logiciel

That last point is correct, and confirms that you could have persisted and got the new receiver for nothing.
Having their internet has come into it only recently - many people have had, and are still having, the new receivers without that being involved.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I am getting mine installed tomorrow and have spoken to installer who was planning to replace dish and has agreed to use the zone 2 dish I was going to install myself. I do not have Sky BB and the box being replaced is a second (multiroom) box without the HD sub on it. If the installer does take away a box it will be an old failed one with duff PSU and failing HDD which I was intending to repair but with this offer I will be using afterwards the working Thomson with an old blue viewing card that allows FTA recording sub free. So a result two HD boxes with subscription cards plus what will be basically a sub free freesat PVR with a Sky EPG.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom