Been offered a new 3d set

offitmassive

Currently have a sammy ue46c7000 and after 10 months it started having big problems, its come back from its 3rd repair (tv now only 13 months old) and have been offered either a 95% refund of original purchase price which was 1435 or a ue46d8000 in replacement. do i either take the 95% which is around 1200 and get a different set (if so which one? plasma or led etc) or take the d8000 series and as for the 5 year warranty i was given with the original set i bought?? scared its gonna happen again and all this repair process starts again, but love the look of the set. opinions and reasons for would be massively appreciated

offitmassive

what should i replace it with??

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
As I'm 3D crazy, I'd treat myself to one of the LG or Toshiba passive sets.

...and then end up with far better 3D and cash in hand too :smashin:

offitmassive

ok, do you have any recommendations and what are the differences with passive and active?? my 3d player is my ps3 btw

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
ok, do you have any recommendations and what are the differences with passive and active??
Passive or Active is the single biggest decision when buying 3D TV. (if you like a good read then there are many threads on the topic within this Forum)

If you're enthusiastic about 3D then I strongly recomenend you go the passive route as it will almost certainly provide the better 3D experience.

Provided you keep to well known brands like LG and Toshiba then there aren't any bad passive sets so it just comes down to how much you want to spend and size of screen you want :)

offitmassive

seen the 47LD950 you have and it mentions
Black level and contrast ratio could be better
Problems when dealing with 1080p 3D material need to be addressed
Ability to display full 1080p 3D material would be an improvement
Downward facing HDMI inputs would make more sense for wall mounting
CMS should be upgraded to allow separate control of Luminance, Colour and Hue

any issues you found with ur 3d set? whats the 3d quality like in hd?
how does the firmware get updated as my ue46c7000 does it wired up to router or via usb stick

offitmassive

I would have around £1300 to spend....

any of the usual lcd/led judder on fast moving scenes?

just seen a nice smart sony KDL-55EX723

Last edited:

offitmassive

want it to look nice like the new sony tv's or samsung sets, prefer it to be led, but may consider a slim plasma (like i think 51" sammy??)

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
seen the 47LD950 you have and it mentions
Black level and contrast ratio could be better
Problems when dealing with 1080p 3D material need to be addressed
Ability to display full 1080p 3D material would be an improvement
Downward facing HDMI inputs would make more sense for wall mounting
CMS should be upgraded to allow separate control of Luminance, Colour and Hue

any issues you found with ur 3d set? whats the 3d quality like in hd?
how does the firmware get updated as my ue46c7000 does it wired up to router or via usb stick
It's a great set (had mine since January) but I'd class it more of a 3D enthusiasts TV as you need to buy a fair bit to bring it up to spec. with modern LG passives (see my sig) and the number of remotes you end up would drive many people crazy :D. They're also very thin on the ground now but the user thread is here if you want a long read (the stuff you quoted is very old and outdated now) ;)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1403958-lg-ld950-ld920-owners-thread.html

However, I suspect you'll probably want to checkout the current LG models such as the LG 55LW550T or 650T say.

offitmassive

been looking at sets, the hx820/823 from sony looks the mutz nutz and has good reviews and within my budget at 46", the other half wants another sammy unit and likes the d8000 (also good reviews but are they good cuz the tv looks lush?) and im wary of another sammycuz of the 5mm frame around the screen, but they were side by side the sammy and sony but sammy looked too bright and very artificial compared to the sony but sammy has 800mhz whilst sony has 400hz. or should i hold ouit till new year and see if i can get a 55" set perhaps the d7000 from sammy?? as d8000 is near 2k!!

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
So do we assume you have no great interest in 3D then ?

I'd take a look at some of LG's if I was you as you might change your mind (I can promise you'll be stunned after a owning a C7000) :)

golly99

Being an ex owner of a LG 47 550t, yep the 3D is great, but the 2D suffered from banding and poor motion, got a refund and now own the Samsung 51d6900 and it's a great set, no banding, great motion and colours and from the 3d i've tested it compares well to the LG, prefer the styling too :)

offitmassive

So do we assume you have no great interest in 3D then ?

I'd take a look at some of LG's if I was you as you might change your mind (I can promise you'll be stunned after a owning a C7000) :)

no i have massive interest in 3d, have sky 3d and 3d enabled ps3. ive heard mixed stories of LG, i used to work in a warranty company and some of the departments said LG had the biggest number of warranty claims

offitmassive

Being an ex owner of a LG 47 550t, yep the 3D is great, but the 2D suffered from banding and poor motion, got a refund and now own the Samsung 51d6900 and it's a great set, no banding, great motion and colours and from the 3d i've tested it compares well to the LG, prefer the styling too :)

is that the slim plasma set? i used to have banding on an old panny plasma. ive had the 51d6900 on my mind, il have another look

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
..i used to work in a warranty company and some of the departments said LG had the biggest number of warranty claims
Seems rather a weak argument to me for missing out on great 3D :( Possibly in the past, the LG brand might have been one to avoid but things have changed greatly over the years - and you only have to read posts in this Forum to see that.

Besides, you can take the Toshiba route if you prefer (although you still end up with an LG screen)

Either way it's your choice!

offitmassive

yeh i like the toshiba but for a decent sized screen, theyre pretty pricey!! the sammy d6900 is £880 from argos and probs cheaper elsewhere though. with nuff money to buy a banging 3d bluray player as ps3 in bedroom now

golly99

Get John lewis to price match Argos then you get the 5year warranty and if the price drops in the next 28 days you can claim it back (against a shop store)

offitmassive

getting closer to a Samsung PS51D8000, seen it for £1099 with free delivery + £50 cash back + £50 movie on demand credit!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett