Been given an N64 + games. questions here

j04nse

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

My neighbour has given me an n64 and about 10 games, so ive got a few questions that i bet u can answer for me

1 - Ive only got the rf lead, what is the best picture / lead i can buy to use on my 40" sony lcd

2 - cant remember what games there are with it but what games should i not miss out on? multiplayer and singleplayer.

3- cant two pads, is a popular auction site best for other pads??

Thanks Mark

1 - RGB Scart is the best you can use I think. You may be able to get away with a Gamecube one, they are the same connection.

2 - Singleplayer - Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Zelda OoT & Majora's Mask.
Multiplayer - Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero.

3 - Yeah fleabay, make sure you stick to official accessories/pads.

1 - RGB Scart is the best you can use I think. You may be able to get away with a Gamecube one, they are the same connection.

2 - Singleplayer - Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Zelda OoT & Majora's Mask.
Multiplayer - Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero.

3 - Yeah fleabay, make sure you stick to official accessories/pads.

Thanks

will it be fullscreen on my tv? if fullscreen will it look terrible due to the size of my tv?anyone else playing older consoles on big tv's?

1 - Rgb scart like dannius said

2 - Anything with Rare or Nintendo on the box and you won't go far wrong. Personally i'd try to grab 2 of the last ever n64 titles Banjo tooie and conkers bad fur day though you may struggle getting hold of them, Imo they are the best games on the system.

Also try to grab Dk64 (needs ram expansion) and perfect dark (needs ram expansion) Failing that i'd go for the same titles that dannius has already mentioned, they were earlier titles in the N64's lifespan and hence should be more popular and easier to obtain cheaply.

3 - Actually if you have a cash converters or similar near you, i'd give them a try first, you should be able to pickup an official N64 pad for about £3 or less, may be able to grab a rgb scart for a couple of quid and if you're lucky they may have an expansion pack for a few quid and even most of the games. (store near me was selling them for about £3 - £10 each a couple of years ago), gamestation sell retro games too, though i know banjo tooie is still selling for £29.99 second hand :eek:

1 - Rgb scart like dannius said

2 - Anything with Rare or Nintendo on the box and you won't go far wrong. Personally i'd try to grab 2 of the last ever n64 titles Banjo tooie and conkers bad fur day though you may struggle getting hold of them, Imo they are the best games on the system.

Also try to grab Dk64 (needs ram expansion) and perfect dark (needs ram expansion) Failing that i'd go for the same titles that dannius has already mentioned, they were earlier titles in the N64's lifespan and hence should be more popular and easier to obtain cheaply.

3 - Actually if you have a cash converters or similar near you, i'd give them a try first, you should be able to pickup an official N64 pad for about £3 or less, may be able to grab a rgb scart for a couple of quid and if you're lucky they may have an expansion pack for a few quid and even most of the games. (store near me was selling them for about £3 - £10 each a couple of years ago), gamestation sell retro games too, though i know banjo tooie is still selling for £29.99 second hand :eek:

Thanks

Not sure if has an expansion pack, to be honest my neighbour just gave me a bag with everything in as i was leaving for work tonight, i have a local gamestation which i think sells retro stuff, i will probably go and have a look in there soon.

I know goldeneye was not in the bag because i looked:D ot, how do you get the paintball cheat in goldeneye used to love playing with that turned on in multiplayer.

Not sure if has an expansion pack, to be honest my neighbour just gave me a bag with everything in as i was leaving for work tonight, i have a local gamestation which i think sells retro stuff, i will probably go and have a look in there soon.
Well as you probably know the ram expansion sits in the little trapdoor thingy on the top of the n64, just unclip the thing and look inside. Gamestation should have a copy of goldeneye in stock everywhere, it was a very popular title and should cost no more than £10 even from them, banjo kazooie is a great game too and should cost about the same, failing that if you have some boxed games maybe gamestation will trade?.

I'd still be inclined to look around for a cash converters or similar though, they have little idea of what titles are worth and you could even get the real gems banjo tooie and conker for less than a fiver, just don't trade against them.

I know goldeneye was not in the bag because i looked:D ot, how do you get the paintball cheat in goldeneye used to love playing with that turned on in multiplayer.
At the cheat menu, press L + Up, C-Up, R + Right, L + R + C-Left, L + Up, R + C-Down, L + C-Down, L + R + C-Down, L + R + Up, L + C-Down. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Well as you probably know the ram expansion sits in the little trapdoor thingy on the top of the n64, just unclip the thing and look inside. Gamestation should have a copy of goldeneye in stock everywhere, it was a very popular title and should cost no more than £10 even from them, banjo kazooie is a great game too and should cost about the same, failing that if you have some boxed games maybe gamestation will trade?.

I'd still be inclined to look around for a cash converters or similar though, they have little idea of what titles are worth and you could even get the real gems banjo tooie and conker for less than a fiver, just don't trade against them.

At the cheat menu, press L + Up, C-Up, R + Right, L + R + C-Left, L + Up, R + C-Down, L + C-Down, L + R + C-Down, L + R + Up, L + C-Down. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

There is a cash generator shop in town, ill have a look there, will post a list of the games i have got tomorrow.

I have a nintendo wii, so i can use the lead off that for scart rgb then on my n64?

Thanks, you have all been very helpful. this is what these forums are about.

tried my wii scart cable, it doesnt fit, the fitting on the wii and n64 are different.

n64 works fine, but through the rf lead the picture isnt very good on my sony 40" lcd.

n64 works fine, but through the rf lead the picture isnt very good on my sony 40" lcd.
I'm not surprised, that's a big screen , even through rgb scart i wouldn't hold my breath on the picture quality, to be honest i would consider a maximum of a 28" tv for use with it, especially if you're using it through the rf lead, do you not have a secondary smaller tv you could use it on? ;)

The n64 has an awesome back catalogue of games and it would be a shame not to sample their delights, but with a screen so large you can only succeed in making them look as bad as possible. :(

Maybe some other members can point you in the direction of a custom lead of some description?

:confused:

I keep reading on other forums and here that the cable supplied with the wii, the one with the phono's ?? that fit on the scart block fit the n64, am i missing something because it wont fit for me.

Take a look in this thread and maybe pm some of the peeps in there, they seem to know a lot about this subject and may know of a better way as they mention lcd's and the standard composites.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495483

I have read that already thanks, but i doesnt really answer my question, think i will just get a scart lead off fleabay for it, shame because i know the picture used to look good on old crts years ago with just the rf lead not the case now with these lcd's

I have read that already thanks, but i doesnt really answer my question, think i will just get a scart lead off fleabay for it, shame because i know the picture used to look good on old crts years ago with just the rf lead not the case now with these lcd's

Quite. I tried a PS2 on my 32" LCD and was appalled at how bad it looked through Scart, and that's a generation ahead of the N64.

Was just about to create a similar thread, but noticed this one first...

On my old Tosh plasma, I bought a lead from Game that allegedly connected the N64 via an S-video connection, but the picture "jumped" 2 or 3 lines every few seconds; I reverted to composite and although the picture was imperfect, the kids didn't complain.

Now I have a Yamaha 761 amp that supposedly converts composite, s-video and component signals into whatever output you select (apart from HDMI). The amp is connected via all available outputs to a Panasonic PZ70 plasma. However, it outputs the signal from the N64 s-video cable as b/w on the s-video socket, colour (but poor quality) on composite and for a split-second on component before displaying nothing. There is a note in the Yamaha manual that says the conversion feature may not work for games consoles, although it converts the PS2 s-video to a glorious component image.

I have noticed a stack of settings in the Yamaha manual, so will do some more digging this weekend and report back if anything useful comes of it.

The PAL N64 can't do RGB scart, only composite, unless it is modified

Unless you do this it will look awful on your big screen tv, it did on mine!

The PAL N64 can't do RGB scart, only composite

The lead I have (Madcatz, I think) has an S-video plug on one end. It used to work on my old Tosh plasma (a rebadged Panasonic), albeit with a jump in the screen every few seconds. But on my new Panasonic PZ70, it produces a b/w picture.

Modding to RGB is easy, you need a special screw driver and soldering iron. but the picture still isnt perfect, I did one and it was too dark.
If youre lucky a modern LCD with good composite input will look fine, Ive used a USA N64 via S-video on a 32" LCD and it looked great.

Get blastcorps, it's made by rare at their best.
It's a unique game, you won't find a game like it on any other console!

why is mario kart missing?!

at uni we don't have new GEN at the mo + terms about to end and money is booze !!!

we have diddy kong racing and no one seems to like it...

Golden eye beats perfect dark most times cos the originality behind golden eye is much greater than perfect dark (suggest on golden:eye... mode:[license to kill] weapons:[slappers only] much laughs !!!)

Conker's bad fur day was good always

donkey kong, and banjo series was good single player.... don't remember them being so good on the multiplayer.... very repetitive, trying to clone conker's multiplayer...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom