Been given a grand to get a LCD for my dad.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by stepp, Jan 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. stepp

stepp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi all

Basically my dad has had enough of his bulky 44" rear projection Sony, its massive and has aged a bit but has served him well over the years.

He has given me a grand to get a new tv...he said 50" but im pretty sure you cant get LCD tvs in that size....47" is what he needs i reckon.

Ive been looking at this http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=675895&camp_id=froogle

The LG 47LF65

Would that be a good deal, or are there better TVs out there, i have been told LG are a good brand though.

Sorry to ask such a boring same old question but if you guys had a grand what would you go for?

Must be 47" at least as he has a pretty big living room, the TV will be connected via SKY ( not HD, but it may come at a later date ).

Might go for this LG, but thought i would ask here first! :)

Thanks

2. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have yet to see an LCD that impressed me. The detail always seems to be washed out, peoples faces look like mono colour/texture like they have loads of makeup on or have been airbrushed.

Watch out many shops demo screens with animation footage - not a good source for looking for fine detail.LCD's also have a habit of looking very 'colourfull' which can initially impress.

If it was me, spending my own £1k I would be looking at plasma screens. Bit out of whats good at the mo, had my screen a while now.

Just my 2p

3. ttreaders

ttreaders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have always been told the opposite, have also seen some LG's and not impressed. If I was you I would go for a better brand tv such as the samsung f86 40", smaller than what you wanted but still a good size and can be had for around £1000 now. It's an awesome tv.

Also, don't buy from Dixons! They don't know what customer service is...there are also much better deals from the likes of Crampton and Moore - excellent customer service and 3 year warranty.

4. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    I think 40" is a step down,so convince him to give £60 more and get Sharp LC-46X20+SHARP BLU RAY PLAYER+5YEAR WARRANTY from RWL

5. stepp

stepp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Cheers guys youve just made my task even harder now lol.....was looking at plasmas but read a lot about burn in etc, he wouldnt be too happy with that.

Went to Comet this morning and they had a few plasma 50" for around agrand and i must admit the picture was pretty good but when i read about the burn in on them i ruled them out, might go back and do some more reaserch.

Will keep looking about online but if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks

6. ttreaders

ttreaders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah the Sharp is a good buy but they have had so many problems with those sets.. granted so has the samsungs but most of the problems have been ironed out now.

7. Kevstir

Kevstir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    burn in is a thing of the past m8, go have a look in the plasma section, you don't find any threads regarding plasmas suffering burn in..

have you started the same thread in the plasma section?? might be better to start one in there to help you choose.

Kev

8. stepp

stepp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    No i havent got one in the plasma thread, will do one right away, thanks for all the information so far guys. :thumbsup:

9. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Anyway the burn in is still an issue,not as bad as older but STILL an issue

10. jsandel1

jsandel1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    HIya

i have both and and have no problems with Burn!!! Playing both Xbox and PS3 on them ...

I did however see an LCD with burn today..It was a toshiba wlt66 used for the displaying the stats in a call centre......was really bad.....A plasma would of had the same burn if the image was left on all day !!

Think the burn thing is overated!!!!!!

11. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Burn on plasma is said to be 'less' of an issue now than in the past, less but not non existant...

I took a considerable amount of trouble to run my plasma in. contrast, brightness and colour all real low for the first 200 hours. Yes it was a bit of a pain and the picture in that run in period was poor but its only the first few hours. The PQ after this period was fanatstic. Gat a copy of DVE age set the screen up correctly whatever you get this makes a BIG difference, it cant be done 'by eye' on on normal programming.

Many of the issues around burn seem to run back to Xbox/games usage I dont use my screen for this. Will your Dad have an Xbox...?

12. stepp

stepp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    No, no video games, just strictly tv viewing via sky ( sd not hd, although he may get HD in the next 6 months ).

Again thanks, any input is great

13. jsandel1

jsandel1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    IF no gaming is going to be done then I would go down the plasma route!

Infact I would if you were going to be gaming.! IMO.

Does your dad watch sport on his TV much? football? motor racing?

if so then I would go Plasma route again.......People may disagree with me but football on my LCD is pretty pants.

Cheers