Been given 2 projectors - what would you do

makuk

Standard Member
Hi All, i am new to the forum and found lots of very useful info here.

As the title suggests I have been given 2 projectors and they are as follows:

1. HP vp6210
2. Dell 1100MP

The HP is in perfect working order with 1500 hours on the bulb.

The DELL has a faulty rear fan (easily replaced) and also has a bulb life of 1500 hours. The dell also works perfectly apart from the faulty fan.

In my living room I currently have a 50" plasma but really want to upgrade to a 60" plus plasma but cannot due to the weight of them and the living room only having stud walls - I am still unsure how the 50" has managed to stay on the wall for the last year!

So my question really is, would it be worth me using either of these projectors that were given to me and use it to project onto a motorised screen in front of the tv thus giving me a large screen for watching movies?

Are these projectors going to give me a good image, I think the HP goes to 1080i

Which out of the 2 projectors is better, which one would you use?

Or should I just stick them on ebay and stop being a donkey because neither of these projectors is gonna be any good.

I am hoping you are going to say they will both be ok and give me cinema like movies.

I really look forward to your responses.

Thanks very much.

jacko5

Hi All, i am new to the forum and found lots of very useful info here.

As the title suggests I have been given 2 projectors and they are as follows:

1. HP vp6210
2. Dell 1100MP

The HP is in perfect working order with 1500 hours on the bulb.

The DELL has a faulty rear fan (easily replaced) and also has a bulb life of 1500 hours. The dell also works perfectly apart from the faulty fan.

In my living room I currently have a 50" plasma but really want to upgrade to a 60" plus plasma but cannot due to the weight of them and the living room only having stud walls - I am still unsure how the 50" has managed to stay on the wall for the last year!

So my question really is, would it be worth me using either of these projectors that were given to me and use it to project onto a motorised screen in front of the tv thus giving me a large screen for watching movies?

Are these projectors going to give me a good image, I think the HP goes to 1080i

Which out of the 2 projectors is better, which one would you use?

Or should I just stick them on ebay and stop being a donkey because neither of these projectors is gonna be any good.

I am hoping you are going to say they will both be ok and give me cinema like movies.

I really look forward to your responses.

Thanks very much.
I can't be bothered to research those 2 PJs, but I wouldn't mind betting that they are low res data projectors not designed for home theatre use. The HP might accept 1080i, but it will almost certainly down scale the image, probably to 480p.
If the Dell is working perfectly, project an image onto a blank wall and see what you think of the image quality. Does it project 16:9? what connections does it have?

Last edited:

Showoff

Distinguished Member
The HP is SVGA and I think it will do 16:9 wide screen, though I agree with jacko5 I think it's more a business projector.

The Dell 1100MP (2100:1 Contrast Ratio) I think is SVGA as well. It's a multipurpose projector, light enough for business purposes, but also bright enough (1400 ANSI lumens) for Home Cinema use. I think it's also only 4:3 native aspect ratio.

I'd say the Dell is the better projector for Home use.

You've probably only got a few hundred hours on the lamps of both which is why they were probably given to you. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom