Been away for a while....... what is the current state of play ?

Daipac

Established Member
Reaction score
Been working in Barcelona for the last 2-3 weeks and so I have not been on the boards. I have seen that there are many threads popping up concerning problems with the PV500 which I was not expecting.

I did have my heart set on one of these but I am not too sure anymore.

What happened with the new Samsung models ? Have there been any decent reviews on these yet ?

Also, is there any news on new models coming out in the next few months that could be worth a look ?

Cheers,

Dai

I will state the problems that people have found:

1. Contrast change - afftect ALL PV500's, it is a built in feature. You can see changes in black levels as it adjusts the contrast. I have only seen it ONCE on freeview. Not a problem in my eyes.
2. Horizontal line - the screen is split horizontally 50/50 when processing. There is a very slight difference is shade between the top half and the bottom half of the screen.3 people have noticed this (Ekko Star, ktulu, xenon) according to my poll. It is viewable on certain test patterns (light blue is worst I think).
I regard this as a fault and those people should get a replacement.
3. Buzzing - 4 people (205009, badkarma, mortimar, wrooney) have notice buzzing coming from the set, noticable at low volume. This is also a fault, probably the PSU and should be sent back for a replacement.

So, then main problem that isn't a fault is the contrast change.
I noticed it once on a channel 4 program where it was a black background and there were bright boxes flying around the screen, I could see the contrast change, mainly because I knew what to look for. I have watched a few DVD's including ones with dark scenes (Harry Potter) and haven't noticed it even though I knew what to look for.
At the moment there isn't a software fix to turn this off, but most people havn't seen this in normal viewing.

I am 100% happy with my PV500, the picture is FANTASTIC.

If you buy one of these and it has buzzing or a horizontal line then you shoud get a replacement.
Are you best to wait - probably - there is always something better on the horizon, but I am not going to be sending mine back. Very happy :thumbsup:

AS for the Samsungs, a couple of people have bought the SD panel (PS42S5d) and about 3 have bought the HD (PS42H5D). There haven't been a great many reviews and not a huge amount of depth to those reviews posted. Comments have largely been positive except for:
1. one SD panel which broke after only a few days and Samsung have not covered themselves in glory with the repair
2. some average knee jerk views on the HD panel from a German forum, although their views seem to have warmed to the screen as the screen has warmed up (and settings have been changed from the frankly disasterous sounding factory defaults)

As for other screens, Panasonic have started to release info on the PWD8 series commercial panels (which will include an HD option) and Pioneer have announced the 436 series. All of which are due out some time between August and the end of the year. The Panasonic panels were looking quite good because they have an incredibly thin bezel but it turned out that they will have the same sort of thick black area at the edge of the glass as the PV500 does.

I think, anyway.

Pretty good summaries!

Should be a Sticky !!

Gussie :)

Gotta agree with Gussie there, thanks for that guys.

The money is now burning a hole in my pocket and I will have to make the move soon. So much information to take in with all the pros and cons of each model tho.

The Hitachi PD7200 is also getting good reviews and seems a very good alternative. Some people have been complaining about the black levels tho ?

It is all so confusing..........

Black levels for the Hitachi are not as good as the Panny.
But not a problem, IMO.
You can get a very good picture with the right settings.
But I may be biased, because I have one :smashin:

THe pv500 is probably the best of the bunch,yes bias i have one and all that :eek: also mal is correct in his summary,the contrast issue is a non problem and the horizontal line is a fault,get it replaced if u have it.The only problem i suspect is a real problem is maybe the noisey ps.Mine is quiet and hope it stays that way but others have noticed it whilst watching the tv.
Freeview,sky and dvd all look superb and i havent seen a better plasma as up to today that can do all the above as well as the panny.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom