been asked before i think?

Sly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
sure i've seen this somewere,but..............................
is there a xbox chip that does:
a)multi region dvd playback
b)prog scan output
c)multi region game playback
d)also what is the dvd playback like compared to my toshiba sd100e(picture and layer change)with or without prog scan on.
e)any chance a converted machine won't run on xbox live?
f)anything else i should know?
ta.

yes there is its called the X-ecuter 1.1 im not sure about prog scan though, but it does everything else you want it to do.

Gary

thanks for the info does anyone know anymore info...............?
neoblade?

There are a few mod chips to choose from really. I've got my eye on the Xbox BIOS chip (forgot the official name ^_^). Basically its a chip just like the X-Ecuter but its own BIOS can be flashed. Why? To make it more future proof so whenever Microsoft decides to implement software code to block out mod chips (like Sony did) then all you would need is a quick flash of the BIOS and job done. Also with this chip you have a switch I believe so you can turn the mod chip on or off... Not when the console is still on of course. So to summerise...

a)multi region dvd playback
Yes via a software "patch" once your Xbox has been modded.

b)prog scan output
Yes for videogames only thus far I believe. You would require a video boot disk to convert a PAL Xbox into an NTSC one and then a suitable display (not all CRTs can display prog.scan) and a component cable. As for DVD... Keep an eye on the Xbox dev scene. Sadly I lost all of my links so hopefully a kind soul can post one up for us ^_^ If not then run a search on the Xbox since all of this data has been posted before.

c)multi region game playback
Yep, the chip handles all of this.

d)also what is the dvd playback like compared to my toshiba sd100e(picture and layer change)with or without prog scan on.
Your Tosh SD100e would still probably edge it. I'm not a fan of using consoles as a dedicated DVD player at all... The Toshiba SD220E is stupidly cheap (£135 online, multiregion) and is worth every penny and the difference will show. Save up for it ^_^

e)any chance a converted machine won't run on xbox live?
Chances could be high if Microsoft really does fulfil their promise... However with most mod-chips you can just turn it off and no-one will ever know...

f)anything else i should know?
Other than to keep a keen eye on the dev scene (DivX players, MAME, emus etc) there isn't a lot to be said. Most Xbox mod chips are easy to install, if in doubt find a good mate who knows how to solder.

Also prog.scan on videogames I believe is enabled on a hardware level so in theory all games can run in prog.scan. On the PS2 and Gamecube it is enabled via software and so far there isn't a way to keep it enabled... My next test along with others is to use a FreeLoader on a PAL Gamecube and use a NTSC game with prog.scan to find out the results...

Happy Gaming ^_^

thanks neoblade your a star!
let me know if you hear anymore.
ta.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom