1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been and gone and ordered a gold Denon 3802...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Adele, Feb 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered today from Hi-Fi Junkies at £662....none in stock just now, but I'm not in too much of a hurry - escpecially as they don't take any money from you until dispatching.

This is the first of my AV purchases - feeling a bit apprehensive (i.e. I hope I've bought the right one, from the right supplier etc. etc) General reassurance on my decision would be lovely thanks.....

All I need now is to decide on new speakers, DVD player etc.....

Current Setup

*4 year old 21" Sony 4:3 TV (old, limited functions - but fantastic picture!)
    *CD: Marantz 63
    *NAD C3020 amp (the Denon will replace this)
    *Grundig Sky digibox
    *JPW speakers - again, fairly old (9 years) but still sound cracking - quite fancy the Wharfdale Diamond 8s as a surround package to replace - 8.3s at front 8.1s at back
    *Sony PS2 for DVDs - will add a proper player...possibly a Toshiba 510e

Will upgrade to surround & widescreen all in good time - no rush as my old hi-fi setup still sounds excellent (it's a fairly small living room - 4m by 3.7m) - I've got my TV/Digibox/PS2 connected to the Hi-Fi for now.

2. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Bought my 3802 from HiFiJunkies back in December when they were still £625 (think they put the price up beacuse they were always sold out). I got mine on a day they took delivary of 30.
    They all went that day apparently.

I was very happy with the service I got from them. Arrived the next day.

Hope that helps to keep you happy.

Also for refference.

I use KEF Eggs + Sub with mine, a Tosh 210DVD and Tosh 36zp18b TV

Im very happy with the result.

3. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've not used Hi-Fi Junkies but you will be thrilled with the Denon 3802. Got mine set-up at the weekend and it is awesome.

Like Desticado, I run the Kef KHT2005 speakers and am very pleased with the results.

Like you I have building my home cinema set-up slowly. You should definitely get a dedicated DVD player. The PS2 is great for games but DVD's.......

Enjoy.

4. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to hear that my decision's not a disaster.....

I'd looked at the KEF eggs....not convinced about their hi-fi stereo performance - though they look great and would be fantastic for my very small room! Will need to demo them and see. (I'm swaying towards the Wharfdale 8.3 floorstanders as front L/Rs for music - together with a REL Q150E and building up the surround system from that)

....but I suppose that's a topic for a whole other discussion forum!

Definitely agree about upgrading the PS2 to a proper player - that's my next purchase....

My strategy is to buy the best separates I can afford, bit by bit. I really fancied the Denon 3802 as I can upgrade my other system components around it, from stereo, to 5.1 and beyond!! And it sounds good for music too.

I got a friendly email from Jason at Hi-Fi junkies as soon as I had ordered....they hope to get more 3802s in a few weeks - which suits me as I've got a few days off work to study around then (so I can be in when the UPS guy comes to deliver - I don't think they deliver to addresses other than that linked to the credit card!)

Thanks for your replies guys..

5. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    given your current setup, should you not have gone for a widescreen tv before the amp?

(ps. this is not intended as a criticism, I was just curious whay you went for an amp as your first priority).

John

btw - I've got the 3802, I think it's the dogs whatsits

6. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I admit, it may indeed seem curious to buy the amp before the TV.....I HAVE been looking for a good w/s TV, but I've kinda been put off a lot of them by reading about all the problems with certain models in the TV forums...

I'm more concerned about sound at the moment - I know that the 21" 4:3 Sony TV I have sounds rubbish to those with big w/s TVs, but it really does give an excellent picture. And it doesn't feel too small as my living room's very small (4m by 3.6m - I only sit about 1.5-2m from the TV!!)

I saw the opportunity to buy the 3802 at what I think's a fairly good price (£662) from what I think's a fairly reputable source (HiFi Junkies), so decided to just go for it before their prices went up again! New TV or no new TV! So -I'm quite happy to build up my system from the amp....strange as it may sound!!

I fell in love with the 3802 as soon as I first saw/heard it in the shops...but I've just not seen a TV yet that's yelled "BUY ME" , a problem to put to another forum methinks...

My husband's just not into all this AV stuff - he thinks I'm turning into a nerd! Just wait 'til he sees the end results though!

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That is nice to read as it is traditionally the other way around. There will be a lot of jealous men reading this thinking "Why can't my wife be more like that"

When reading about widescreen TV problems remember that it is human nature to complain about something that isn't right but not to to praise something that is and there will be many thousands of very happy widescreen owners out there completely oblivious to any slight imperfection in the geometry.

I was thinking of buying a Denon but not having your patience I didn't want to wait so bought something else instead.

Enjoy

8. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about the problem of choosing a TV. I bought a Tosh 32ZP18P on a whim, and I'm deeply regretting it.

Perhaps plasmas will be a viable proposition in a year or two.

John

9. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adele

You are not going to be disappointed with the 3802. It is a superb amp packed with features, excellent digital surround and, of course, DPL2 which is superb for analogue Dolby Surround sources and stereo music. I have teamed it up with Keff Eggs which sound great but still have about 30 hours to go before they are completely on song. But it sounds like you have some time to go and audition a few systems - you can't beat your own ears.

Regarding the TV. I am still struggling to decide especially with the rate of development in TV technology. I eventually wondered into a Martin Dawes rental shop (http://www.martindawes.co.uk/) and picked up a reconditioned Panasonic 32PK1 for £30/month with a minimal rental period of only 1 month. The quality is excellent and as soon as I decide to buy I will return the Pany. Alternatively, and subject to what ever they have available, I can upgrade to a better unit at any time.

Enjoy the Denon

Epithet.

10. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat.
    Ordered the Denon in Jan, but it seems no one has any in stock.

Denon have told me that they expect some in the uk end of the month but after talking with the shop I have ordered from, there may be too few to go round. They quote they have around 100 on order:eek: (good kit, well all want it)

So I will wait like the rest of you and look forward to the day they get them in.

On the bright side it gives me time to find a new player as well, finsh the new cinema room (panasonic arrived this week, and bed in the new Monitor Audio speakers (8i,10i & Fxi) on the old system).;)

11. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone got any thoughts on my dilemma. 3802 or sony str-va555es. ive had alisten to the sony-great imo but not the denon yet, I would appreciate your opinions thanks.

12. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered the Denon 3802 from HiFi Junkies for £672 (inc £10 delivery - I live in Edinburgh) but I've seen this amp on sale at Unbeatable for £645.96 with a ONE year warranty (with the option of spending an extra £34 for the extended 3 year warranty)

The HiFi Junkies price seems to include a TWO year warranty, but they've said they can match the unbeatable price - what warranty SHOULD HiFi Junkies as an official stockist be giving?

I've asked them if they can up the warranty to three years if I pay an extra £3.95 =>£675.97 total cost (matching Unbeatable)

Incidentally.....I see that Hi Fi Junkies have put the price up from £662 to £765 for the 3802 this week. Glad I ordered when I did!

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,078
    I have one on order from Hifi Junkies aswell.

I ordered it in Jan at the price of £640.00 with free delivery. It stated it came with a three year warranty at this time.

I may have to contact them to see if I am still getting the three year warranty as it has now changed to just two years.

As they have changed it, it may mean they are no longer an official Denon agent (if they were before).

Greg

14. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greg, I've just looked up the Denon UK website, which states....

"All Denon consumer products used for non-commercial purposes carry a two-year parts and labour warranty"

..so maybe it's Denon themselves who have changed the warranty period from 3 to 2 years?

Do you have anything in writing from HiFi Junkies confirming the 3 year warranty period?

I'm waiting for Jason to reply to my email asking them to match Unbeatable's £675.95 price which includes a 3 year warranty as I think the £672 price I ordered at only has 2 year warranty - I'm willing to pay an extra £3.95 for a year's extra peace of mind!

15. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adele

Most credit cards will extend a 2 year warranty to 3 years for free. Barclaycard will also provide a price promise and will refund the difference between the price you pay and the cheapest you can find it in the UK (retail or web site).

But note - although they extended the warranty on my 3802 (and refunded me £40 on the price promice - final cost £640 based on Unbeatable price), they were not prepared to extend the warranty on my DVD 2800 because they are unable to service "the technology".

Btw - have you downloaded the 3802 owner's manual from Denon's US site (www.denon.com)? I recommend you start reading it now.

Regards

Epithet.

16. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yikes! - Just downloaded the 3802 manual from the Denon site - all 74 pages of it!

Looks like I've got some homework to do! I will indeed start reading it now....

17. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,078
    Adele

I don't have anything in writing from Hifijunkies and to be honest now you mention it I can't be 100% positive it was three years anyway.

If I buy it on my Barclaycard I get an extra years cover for free so it doesn't really matter if the warranty offered is only the two year one.

I am also waiting for an email from Jason to tell me when they have got stocks in and some prices on speakers and cable.

Greg