1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been a fool - Now to cure prob!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by steveinuk, Feb 14, 2005.

1. steveinuk

steveinuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently paid a visit to Hong Kong and thought I'd be smart and get a nice updated camcorder... after wandering the streets for a couple of hours, realising I could get the SONY HC1000 Digital Camcorder for HK$5400 (about £380), I got excited and got myself a camera :D . They didn't have this cam in stock in the PAL format, and talked me around to a Panasonic equivalent, still with the 3CCD etc...

I am very happy with the camera, quality, sound, etc, etc.... the sales guy showed me all the details on the packaging, which stated PAL. I've got back to UK and have only just realised that the sneaky Chinese sales guy had put an NTSC camera in a PAL box to make the sale... :mad:

Now I'm not too bothered as my Panasonic 37" plasma has no problem with this, and I bought the cam for video editing on my PC (Matrox RTX100).

I'm not an expert with Adobe Premier yet, but would like to know the best way to make a PAL movie from the 720x480 30fps footage. I don't really want it to add a few extra mae up lines, but I don't mind it creating a thin black border at top and bottom.

Is this how it would do it anyway or does it literally make a few lines up and stick them in randomly? :confused: Any help appreciated.

Rgds
    Steve

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let this serve to a warning for anybody looking for a bargain from abroad!...

They can be had, but so can you, & comeback isn't easy!.

What version of Premiere do you use?.

Elements can output onto DVD as NTSC or PAL regardless of the origination format, I'm not sure if Adobe Encore supports the same function.

If it's any consolation I know a few guys who actualy originate on NTSC for the UK market, as NTSC has a warmer feel to it (less resolution, lower quality colour capability = a warmer picture, crazy, but I've seen the results) some folk find DV PAL has hard edges and so looks very 'video' footage from NTSC tends to look more filimic.

They have broadcast decks which can be switched between PAL & NTSC.

If you are only outputting to your camcorder you should be able to do the whole project as NTSC and just use your camcorder as a player.

If you want to have a PAL DVD then as long as your camcorder can have it's playback switched for the PAL format (this is a menu setting on Sony NTSC camcorders, may be the same on Pannys, not sure offhand) then you can edit on Premiere, dump to your camcorder, then dump to a PAL stand alone DVD recorder. In fact if you go through firewire into your camcorder, then analogue out to a DVD recorder then you should be able to record your edit probgramme live from your PC.

As the DVD resolution is roughly on a par with NTSC broadcast you shouldn't lose that much from if you had orginated and edited on PAL in the first place.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps. would 'sneaky sales guy' not have done?. You were in Hong Kong, so we could probably have guessed the rest...

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Did you pay for the camcorder on a credit card? If you did then phone them up as you get a lot of protection with credit card purchases and you may be able to get some or all of your money back!

Mark.

5. steveinuk

steveinuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the version of Premier that comes with the Matrox RTX100 Xtreme Pro Suite. 6 rings a bell? Could it be version 6?

If I report to CC company wouldn't I have to pay some duty? That's if I didn't of course :rolleyes:

Rgds
    Steve

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    RT.X100 comes with Premiere Pro

The credit card company will already know you made a high cost purchase in Hong Kong anyway as it will appear on your statement. It is not up to them to report you to customs as they wont know if you declared your purchase on reentering the UK or even if the product stayed in HK! I would say this would be your best bet, but they may want to take the cam off you in return for a refund. Give them a call and see what they say.

Mark.