Question Bedside Clock Radio with Wifi\Internet Radio

PerfectBlue97

I'm looking to replace my ageing smart speaker\alarm clock with something new, as the device that I have is giving me problems and is no longer supported by the manufacturer.

I basically need a bedside clock radio, but which uses internet radio instead of AM\FM\DAB so that I can pick up international stations, and because the reception here for regular radio is poor.

What I'm looking for is a mains powered device with an always on clock that's large enough to read from a couple of meters away at night, but which is small enough to sit on a night-stand. Which I can connect to my Wifi so that I can listen to internet radio stations, and preferably set a radio station as my alarm.

The big catch is that it absolutely cannot be a mobile phone, or a docked mobile phone. It needs to be a standalone unit that doesn't have space for a SIM card. Please don't ask why, but it's a big requirement.

PerfectBlue97

Under £200.

I currently have an Archos home connect 35. Which is essentially an Android powered clock radio\smart speaker hybrid. It's incredibly useful as it runs a version of the TuneIn Radio app, and lets me set unlimited custom alarms.

The most important thing is that it can't be a docked mobile phone, it needs to be a standalone device with a solid base on it that won't slide around, and can't contain a SIM card.

PerfectBlue97

Pure, Roberts & Revo all have products that fit the bill. I've linked to a few for starters.

You may get more response from this forum.
All of these meet the internet radio part, hands down.

It's the clock part that they aren't the best at.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
It's the clock part that they aren't the best at.
Then maybe a tablet on a stand linked to a BT speaker? Plenty of cheap tablets that don't have a SIM slot.

Or a bit left field but how about the Amazon Echo? It supports Tune-in & multiple alarms. No display but you can ask it the time without lifting your head from the pillow.

PerfectBlue97

Then maybe a tablet on a stand linked to a BT speaker? Plenty of cheap tablets that don't have a SIM slot.

Or a bit left field but how about the Amazon Echo? It supports Tune-in & multiple alarms. No display but you can ask it the time without lifting your head from the pillow.
All good ideas and good products, but I'm trying to get as close to my existing product as possible. I'm in slightly unusual circumstances so I'm a little picky.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Zettaly Avy

That's about all I can find available in the UK with a big screen. Seems to have some battery issues but if you're only using it bedside that may not be a problem.

Last edited:

PerfectBlue97

Zettaly Avy

That's about all I can find available in the UK with a big screen. Seems to have some battery issues but if you're only using it bedside that may not be a problem.
I saw this a while back, and it's in my top 3. The main reason that I haven't already brought it is the battery issue, and that some people have reported trouble getting the screen to be always on for the clock.

I've also seen this as yet unreleased product, Clazio: Alexa & Android Touchscreen Smart Speaker but it's a US crowd funded project and I've had bad experiences with them before. Mostly that they tend to send things in without a VAT declaration, and you have to page 20% and a handling cost on top of the price. So they end up rather more expensive than you think.

PerfectBlue97

XORO also seem promising, but I can't find a UK reseller. and the Medion series looked good but they don't seem to be in production any more.

I think that the mobile phone pretty much did away with this kind of product.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom