Question Bedroom TV size 43 or 49

russd1978

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I spend most of my time in a 11.5' x 10' bedroom which currently has a 5 year old Panasonic 42" LCD with a large bezel.

Budget is not a concern but size is. I want something with quite good specs, so narrowed it down to the 43KS7500 or the 49KS7000. I don't really care much for curved TVs so would prefer to get the 49" but I'm worried it will be too big. The wall would fit a the 49 inch and sit about 7-9ft back. I know that technically this is okay for 4k, but I'm wondering whether it's too big for the room, as it will dominate quite a bit.

The thing is, currently my 42" LCD is not wall mounted, and I plan to mount the 49" on the wall, so it will be further back. Also taking into account the bezel of the old one, a 49" would only be about 3" larger in total.

Is it mad to get a 49" TV for a bedroom even if you spend most of your time there or okay? I could get a 43" Sony, but I like the HDR features on the KS7000. I also have a very good price from John Lewis agreed at £799.

Thanks for any advice.

49" is not to big. In fact 55" is not to big either. If you can get OLED with HDR.

Thanks Darkstar - 49" is my limit as that will fit in the space with about 3" either side (as there are two doors on the wall, one for a cupboard and one as the main entrance to the room). Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I spend most of my time in a 11.5' x 10' bedroom which currently has a 5 year old Panasonic 42" LCD with a large bezel.

Budget is not a concern but size is. I want something with quite good specs, so narrowed it down to the 43KS7500 or the 49KS7000. I don't really care much for curved TVs so would prefer to get the 49" but I'm worried it will be too big. The wall would fit a the 49 inch and sit about 7-9ft back. I know that technically this is okay for 4k, but I'm wondering whether it's too big for the room, as it will dominate quite a bit.

The thing is, currently my 42" LCD is not wall mounted, and I plan to mount the 49" on the wall, so it will be further back. Also taking into account the bezel of the old one, a 49" would only be about 3" larger in total.

Is it mad to get a 49" TV for a bedroom even if you spend most of your time there or okay? I could get a 43" Sony, but I like the HDR features on the KS7000. I also have a very good price from John Lewis agreed at £799.

Thanks for any advice.
From what I understand and have seen: For a bedroom, 32" is the norm. For a lounge, 40" Plus, but a lot of people won't go beyond 43". If you have a large lounge, your really unlimited, for a small lounge in a small apartment 43" but may get away with 49" without the home looking silly.

From what I understand and have seen: For a bedroom, 32" is the norm. For a lounge, 40" Plus, but a lot of people won't go beyond 43". If you have a large lounge, your really unlimited, for a small lounge in a small apartment 43" but may get away with 49" without the home looking silly.

The trouble is, the best quality 43" is the KS7500 (which is still only upper mid range really), and you can't get anything like the same specs for TVs under 43". If you want high quality, you have to get bigger (which is frustrating, as I'm sure there's lots of people for whom space is limited but their budget is not). Also 4K is not terribly useful for anything under 43" either.

Its not just okay, you need to sit oddly close to UHD tvs to get the quality increase from resolution alone. See the chart on this link: TV Viewing Distance Guide

I have just seen that chart. According to it, having to sit very close to the screen. I am fixed at 8 feet away from the screen and just hit the 1080p bracket with my 40" TV.

Just put a 49" in my daughters tiny bedroom. It look fine and not too big at all.

Just checked the viewing distance guide and at her distance of 8 feet and 49" screen a 4k tv is just in spec.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom