Bedroom TV. How cheap can you reasonably go and are there makes to avoid?

Tom Tom

Prominent Member
Reaction score
PXL_20220330_145841044.jpg

So I have an old Sony Bravia KDL-32S2030. (Made 2006)

The speakers have started to go, so we were looking at upgrading.

Now it is a 32inch screen however with the old edging it is actually about 38inch.

We use a firestick but have an old PS2 connected via RGB to the back (not essential but would be nice).

My wife found some Bush, Toshiba cheap replacements and while it is just a cheap bedroom TV, I would like a little better.

What is a good replacement on a reasonable budget? What brands are worth avoiding (I have seen some of the Bush TV's and the picture looked terrible despite being an HD TV).

Thanks for the advice,

I think my wife was looking closer to £200, but I didn't specify a price!

Found the cheaper one on Amazon and we have a £50 voucher so can get it for £287

Unless budget really is an issue, I would avoid JVC, Hitachi, Logik and Bush completely and would be wary of Toshiba, too. While one or two of those may have had a reputation for making good-quality products in the past, these days they are just brand-name badges put on cheap, generic models that are 'made to a budget' by a company called Vestel. Vestel have also made some of Panasonic's cheaper LCDs in the past, although I believe they may be switching to TCL.

Personally, if you want a better-quality product, I would stick to manufacturers who make their own TVs like LG, Samsung, Sony and (I think) Philips, many of whom make models that don't cost that much more but if budget is tight, then Hisense might also be worth looking at.

Size-wise, most manufacturers jump from 32" to 43" although you may find one or two ~40" options.

Another vote for the JX8xx model, although if you can fit a 43" you can spend less and get similar performance, something like the Hisense A7G.

If you're still using legacy devices though I'd personally get a second hand HD model for cheap rather than spending money on 4k. 4k is a hinderance compared to a benefit on smaller/cheaper TVs.

So Costco have this one Hisense 40A4GTUK 40 Inch Full HD Smart TV | Costco UK with 10% off too.

Is I think that is a good deal (probably better on space too!)
Yes, that's a good price for a 40" TV - is that including VAT though ? It seems to be favourably reviewed on Amazon, Currys, OA etc. It's listing on the Currys site gives you a much better idea of the features and specs.

Cheap TVs are always going to be a bit of a gamble, so buying from a retailer like Costco who include a free, extended warranty would be a very wise move, whatever you choose.

It does include VAT.

It does include VAT.
In which case it is significantly cheaper than you can buy elsewhere (and that's with a 1 or 2 year warranty) as I'm sure you've already found :)

For a bedroom you usually want a VA panel since most of the time you are looking at the TV straight on so your horizontal viewing angle is zero. VA panels have wide “vertical” viewing angles. Because the vertical viewing angle can be large for bedroom TVs you want to stay away from IPS panels for the bedroom. Also VA panels have better contrast than IPS panels so VA panels are ideal for the bedroom where you often watch your TV with the lights out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom