Bedroom TV for PS5 and 3080 with £1300 budget

killmassacre

Novice Member
My 55" X900E is starting to die so now I need to replace it. I'm trying to get a new TV under £1300 that has comparable or better PQ compared to my X900E. I'd prefer to spend less but if it's worth it I'd more than willing to spend extra to get a the best deal.

My viewing distance is 6.5 ft or 2m and I have a single window with blinds (although it does get a lot of sunlight).

I'll primarily use it for PS5/switch gaming (50% of the time), my RTX 3080 PC (about 20% of the time), and the rest of the time Youtube/movies. HDMI 2.1 isn't 100% necessary but it would be nice to have (I already have a g-sync monitor for my PC).

The prices are as follows (I'm in Canada, prices converted to GBP):

55" X90H - £577
55" X95H - £693
48" LG CX - £750
55" LG CX - £924
55" LG C1 - £1155
55" Sony A80J - £1270

I'm only considering the Sony A80J since I'm used to Sony's processing and I'm a little worried I might not like the LG's processing.

Which TV represents the best deal?

Last edited:

tvdavid

XH95 if you wish to not worry or watch a lot of Sports
LG CX for PQ or the C1 and A80J the CX has not as good smart apps.
Even Discovery plus is not on LG but my XH95 has it.

Dodgexander

The prices you have show 2021 stock still very expensive, so from a value for money perspective the Sony X950H is the best on your list. The XH90 is a downgrade compared to your current TV. LG CX is also good value, I wouldn't go down to 48" though.

The two others are new models and priced accordingly, if you can hold on to your old TV for a bit you could wait for their prices to come down. Not long now until Black Friday sales.

Sony still have the edge with picture processing, LG better for gaming. Sony A80J would bridge that gap a little with gaming since it has VRR support.

killmassacre

Novice Member
The prices you have show 2021 stock still very expensive, so from a value for money perspective the Sony X950H is the best on your list. The XH90 is a downgrade compared to your current TV. LG CX is also good value, I wouldn't go down to 48" though.

The two others are new models and priced accordingly, if you can hold on to your old TV for a bit you could wait for their prices to come down. Not long now until Black Friday sales.

Sony still have the edge with picture processing, LG better for gaming. Sony A80J would bridge that gap a little with gaming since it has VRR support.

Thanks for your insight. I was going to get the X95H but the last one sold out so I got the 55" LG CX instead.

I have 90 days to return it so even if the C1 or A80J goes on sale for cheaper on BF I can still return the CX.

Thanks again for the help!

killmassacre

Novice Member

I know I'm bringing up this thread from the grave, but I just found some really good deals on 65" OLED's and I'm not sure if I should exchange the 55" CX I got for £924.

I can get a 65" A8H for £1155 on clearance, or a 65" A80J for £1525 with a £205 Gift Card.

I know the A8H doesn't have HDMI 2.1 (for my PS5), but I think I miss Sony's image processing and I'm considering returning my LG CX so I can go back to Sony.

Dodgexander

The 2021 models like the A80J are overpriced, at cost it should be priced the same as the A8H. The gift card on top is just showing that the TV will get cheaper with time.

Processing is very situational, you may not use as much as you think. If you are using external sources a lot of the time they will handle a lot of it already, since many output 4k already to the TV. With gaming 99% of the processing is turned off anyway to reduce input lag.

If its a cable box or an app built in to the TV that only sends 720i or p then its different.

Take a loot at HDTVtests videos on YouTube where he's compared LG OLEDs to Sony's quite a few times, there's not a huge difference in processing like their used to be, but Sony do still have the edge.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom