Bedroom TV - Buying advice

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by PhilSGBR, Jul 28, 2018.

1. PhilSGBR

PhilSGBR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all,

Just looking for a pointer in the right direction. I am looking to replace an old LG 21.5 inch Freeview (but not Freeview HD) LED TV that is in use in our bedroom.

The space available and the elevated placemet, relative to the viewing position, mean that I have a few requirements in mind and was hoping someone would have some good recommendations. I must say I have struggled in my search so far to actually find TV's in store to demo, with the space usually reserved for the bigger sets so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am looking to go up to a 24inch LED TV (I'd striggle to fit anything bigger) with Freeview HD, a decent picture and good viewing angles. Given the size, I am not sure a full HD 1080p resolution is a necessity and nor are Smart features as it will be primarily used to watch Freeview or using with my Chromecast. Also, given the location, as long as I can hear the thing, the sound quality doesn't matter all too much.

There do not seem to be alot available from the big four manufacturers in this size and many of them are smart but with multiple user complaints of underpowered TV's struggling to respond to user inputs which is something I'd like to avoid if I were to go the smart route.

If anyone has any suggestions based on personal experience it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Hey @PhilSGBR and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here!

I always find it hard to recommend small TVs because they tend to be exempt from the usual yearly cycle of new manufacturer releases now.

Therefore the only models available are those that are often a few years old and its quite hard to even get user feedback of them since lower sizes are not a popular purchase nowadays!

Regarding your need of viewing angles, are these horizontal or vertical? LG, Panasonic and Sony TVs tend to use IPS panels which give the best horizontal viewing angles but won't be great viewed at a vertical angle, especially looking upward at a tight angle toward the TV.

Whilst Samsung tend to use VA type which have narrow horizontal angles but better vertical.

But sadly its not quite as definitive as this. Panel information isn't published by manufacturers so its very possible they don't abide by their usual trends with certain models. This means that its very hard to buy knowing exactly what you are going to get.

So I would definitely recommend since you cannot view the TVs before purchase to make sure that you buy from a retailer that offers a no fuss return policy in case you aren't happy with the model you choose. Luckily in the UK if you buy online nowadays you get 7 days by law to return the TV if you are unhappy regardless if you have used it or not.

If you need good vertical viewing angles this is a TV I have seen people say they are happy with before: SAMSUNG T24H390S Smart 24" LED TV

Its a H series which means it was released in 2014 and should use a VA panel, but not 100% sure.

3. PhilSGBR

PhilSGBR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for such a comprehensive reply and the recommendation. From my research, I can understand your difficulty in making arecommendations, it is so somethinging if a minefield it seems for any 24 under 32inches.

The viewing angle need is a verticals one so you recommendation would be suitable in that respect.

Thank you again and if anyone else wishes to chime in, I would be very grateful.