1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bedroom troubles....

Discussion in 'TVs' started by micks_address, Dec 6, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    hi all,

bit of a funny one this so bear with me...

we've just done up our bedroom and now have a space at one end where eventually we will be putting a built in wardrobe.. today we got sky plus in with multiroom so we have a digibox in bedroom...

we have a sony 32" crt downstairs... which replaced a 18 month old philips crt.. the tube was gone in the philips.. and i'd been told by most retailers that it would be pointless getting it fixed as a new tube would cost more than the tv... last week i was chatting to a retailer who said he'd get onto philips and see if they would cover the tube as the tv was quite new... they agreed so all he's going to charge me is for fitting the tube.. about 180 euro...

i havent agreed to anything yet but i'm thinking its probably worth getting the tv fixed.. i mean you wont get much in the line of a new tv for 200 euro and i used to like the pic on it while it worked.. the only downside is that its a 50 hrtz tv so i'm wondering if its going to wreck our heads switching from watching the 100hrtz sony in the siting room to the 50 hertz upstairs? i notice the flicker on my parents tv quite a lot when we visit

the other thing is that the phillips even though is only a 28" TV is still quite big .. so if we try and build our wardrobe around it - its' going to eat up a load of wardrobe space that we could do with...

i suppose a nice little flat screen lcd or plasma would be ideal but sadly out of the question....

just to throw another option into the pot.. the retailer has lent us a 14" portable while we wait to get the 28" fixed.... but my thinking is that a 14" just wont cut it... size matters and all that...

i suppose what i'm wondering is if anyone has any innovative solutions for placing something like a widescreen tv in a bedroom..?

Cheers,
    Mick

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    We have a 28" widescreen in our bedroom and to be honest it is too bulky :thumbsdow

Keep meaning to buy an lcd 17" or 20" but think it is going to be too small :rolleyes:

Adrenochrome.

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    so if i were to say get the 28" fixed... then sell it on for 200 euro.. i think a fair price for a tv with a new tube... maybe i could be the money towards a nice panel... maybe 17 or 20"... next qestion is how much of a budget would i need? what should i be looking at regards makes etc?

Cheers,
    Mick

4. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say don't be tempted by the cheapies. There's more variation in picture quality in LCD TVs than in conventional tellies right now and you really do get what you pay for. Having said that the big brands themselves aren't always great. My wife and I had a 23" Philips in our bedroom for a while but it was deemed unwatchable (by her) and was returned after a couple of weeks.

We tried the Sony 17" too. That was much better, but the picture was just too small when it was positioned at the opposite end of the bedroom.

I've heard good things about the 26" Sony LCD with Wega Engine picture enhancement technology (whatever that is) but it was on the high side of £1300 last time I checked on Pricerunner. I don't know how much they go for in Dublin but that must be getting on for 2K Euros!