Bedroom system

Metman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to put in a small stereo Hi-Fi system in our small spare bedroom - looking at CD player, amp and speakers. The system has to be fairly small (bookshelf size speakers), sound good (not 'bright' but not too 'big') and be aesthetically pleasing to the eye - so no boxy speakers, black-box style amp and CD players.

An input for my iPod would be advantageous as well.

The Blueroom Minipods have caught my eye - but not my ear yet. Does anyone have any experience of these? If so what would partner them?

Budget will be up to £600 including cables and any stands that will be required.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Metman said:
I want to put in a small stereo Hi-Fi system in our small spare bedroom - looking at CD player, amp and speakers. The system has to be fairly small (bookshelf size speakers), sound good (not 'bright' but not too 'big') and be aesthetically pleasing to the eye - so no boxy speakers, black-box style amp and CD players.

An input for my iPod would be advantageous as well.

The Blueroom Minipods have caught my eye - but not my ear yet. Does anyone have any experience of these? If so what would partner them?

Budget will be up to £600 including cables and any stands that will be required.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.richersounds.com/information.php?cda=static&cst=hifisystems

try system 2 u can get the amp and cd players in black if u ask nicely!!!

quality system for the money big saver 2!

oh yeah the bluerooms are not bad but no bass u need to shell out for the matching sub to get anything worth while out of them!!

I would say that the minipods have surprisingly good bass response and give a balanced sound all on their own. Also as the original poster stated it was a small bedroom I would suggest one might be completely happy without a sub in these circumstances. Sorry if that confuses things. ;)

Dom996 said:
I would say that the minipods have surprisingly good bass response and give a balanced sound all on their own. Also as the original poster stated it was a small bedroom I would suggest one might be completely happy without a sub in these circumstances. Sorry if that confuses things. ;)

The room is pretty small - 10ft x 6ft so a sub would be overwhelming. I don't want too much bass, but a nice balanced sound and something that will sound good at the modest volumes I will have to use for a room that size.

Sounds like the Minipods look favourite at the moment.

Metman said:
Thanks for that, but the speakers look too 'boxy' if you know what I mean;)

Whilst you think they are 'boxy', this traditional style of bookshelf will give you much better sound quality.

Can I assume then that style is a priority over outright sound quality?

Also the Minipods being £300+ that does not leave much for a brand new cd player and amp.

rupbert said:
Whilst you think they are 'boxy', this traditional style of bookshelf will give you much better sound quality.

Can I assume then that style is a priority over outright sound quality?

Also the Minipods being £300+ that does not leave much for a brand new cd player and amp.

I'm a perfectionist and I want style and sound quality:cool: , although if push came to shove it would be function over form. I would prefer speakers that have curves rather than straight lines - after all don't 'boxed' speakers suffer from all sorts of internal reflections that 'curved' ones don't? After all look at he B+W Nautilus speakers - not a straight edge in sight and widely respected as being the height of sound reproduction.

If I went for the Minipods at £300+ I would then look at second-hand amp and cd player, so that I could get decent performance with what remains of my budget.

At the moment just fishing for ideas - I won't rush into getting just anything that will do, but I would rather wait and get something that is absolutely right for me.

Metman said:
I'm a perfectionist and I want style and sound quality:cool: , although if push came to shove it would be function over form. I would prefer speakers that have curves rather than straight lines - after all don't 'boxed' speakers suffer from all sorts of internal reflections that 'curved' ones don't? After all look at he B+W Nautilus speakers - not a straight edge in sight and widely respected as being the height of sound reproduction.

If I went for the Minipods at £300+ I would then look at second-hand amp and cd player, so that I could get decent performance with what remains of my budget.

At the moment just fishing for ideas - I won't rush into getting just anything that will do, but I would rather wait and get something that is absolutely right for me.

It was the budget I was concerned about; if you were willing to get 'boxy' speakers new at £150 you would be able to get a terrific new amp and cd player.

I guess going the 2nd hand route is sensible though, I got a mint condition Rotel RA-01 for £200. And you could easily get a quality 2nd hand cd player for £100.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom