1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedroom System (On the cheap cheap)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Matt Horne, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I am considering putting together a bedroom system.. just a amp and cd player + speakers.

Now for my home cinema setup I have quite a bit of arcam stuff and so I thought I would investigate second hand cyrus kit as a possible solution (and they fact they are quite small - though deep - they would hide better in the bedroom)

So any recommendations ppl.. I have noticed on ebay Cyrus 3 and SL amps going for about £180 ish (auctions not finished). What should I be looking for and how much should I be paying?

Which cd players are work looking at as well?

I do not want to spend a fortune.. just a tidy system.. so second hand seems the way to go. Any other sugestions for other descrete kit from alternative manufacturers?

Cheers

Matt

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    It's not really in the same league ... but new and similar cost to the Cyrus kit ...

How about the Denon D30 and Teac Referenc 300 systems. Going for a song at Richer Sounds at the moment ... just add speakers.

Vikki

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Matt

Depends what you are intending to spend, you can hook up a quite decent system from EXDem kit but that is separates orientated here you can get systems that would grace your living room, or you can buy a Linn Classik 2hand and add new speakers, Sounddogs vibe on the DM30 is good as well this can be had for £200 from Hifibitz, then I would add more substantial speakers than the supplied £70 SCM-50s from Mission, ie say something like the AE Evo 1s @ £150 and for £350 all in you have a stumper system (even with a timer included for those Metallica wake up moments), Ive bought a couple of these for rellies and I think its superb, it has a sub pre out, line in, optical digital out, and a decent little 30Watt output amp section remote control, tuner, add some leads from your portable to it and TV sound, The Classik is a different kettle of fish on a different scale to the Denon but what type of listening do you require from a bedroom system ? Full on ? or just a good little honest system tinkling away.

Back to separates : From the net here is a good selection of sep systems available from Audio Ts websites.

http://www.audiot.co.uk/html/offers/sh/sh_cd.html
    Cyrus dAD 3 £250
    Cyrus dAD 7 £299
    Denon DCD 1550AR £150
    Myryad T10 £175
    http://www.audiot.co.uk/html/offers/sh/sh_amps.html
    Cyrus 3 £199
    NAD C320 £149
    Primare A10 £275
    Rega Mira £300
    http://www.audiot.co.uk/html/offers/dem/dem_speakers.html
    Ruark Epilogue 2 (red cherry) £290
    Mission m51 (beech) £190

Some of the combos above could waltz into most folks living rooms.

Or from :

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/classads.html
    ARCAM ALPHA 8 CD £225. Alpha 8 amp £180. Castle Tays (walnut) £150. Excluding speakers £400 for these 2 pieces of Arcam kit is a no brainer you wont find better cost per performance IMO. I also happen to like Castle speakers so thought I would inlcude these.

Other than that I would get low cost quality separates, in the guise of Rotel/Marantz from the discount knocking shops. HTHs

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks thats great.

I would like to stay with the like of linn/cyrus for the bedroom system rather than the Denon.

How much do the classiks go for on average.. that may be a good one box solution.. though I do fancy owning some cyrus kit :)

I will have a good hard look..

Cheers

Matt

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343