bedroom speaker placement (against wall) and selection

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by chopra2007, Feb 19, 2013.

1. chopra2007

chopra2007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    My bedroom is 16ftx14ft. My bed is against the back wall of the 14ft section in the very center with my tv against the front wall of 14ft section in the very center.
    Since my bed is right up against the wall, I don't know if I should place the rears on the same wall as my bed facing the tv, or on the side wall facing me. Also I am thinking about going with the KEF Q series speakers. q300 fronts q600 center q800ds dipole rear and REL sub. Which brings me to my next question. Since I am up against the wall and the rear speakers either way would be pretty close to my head, would it be better to get these dipole speakers or q100 bookshelfs?
    I don't care about asthetics, just sound quality.
    Also, are these KEFs good for home movie watching / video games, or is there a better option for the price? I believe the tag will be around 1400 for the 5 speakers.
    Also. I may buy a denon or marantz receiver with 7 discrete channels (if 7.1 ever catches on i can add speakers). If i use a 5.1 speaker setup am I getting more or cleaner sound out of those 5 channels or are the other 2 channels going to waste?

Pics of my room setup are below. (It's messy, I know..)

Postimage.org / gallery - 1, 2, 3

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    Keep in mind in a 5.1 system you don’t have ‘Rear’ Speakers you have ‘Surrounds’ and ideally they fire across the listening position - Home Theater Surround Sound Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

You won’t gain/lose much (if anything) trying to squeeze the ‘Back’ Surrounds for 7.1 into your room – if you are tempted to try it simply lay in the required additional cables and if you do go with a 7.1 capable AVR its relatively easy to give it a go using some borrowed loudspeakers without committing (eating up budget) on the additional speakers.

Joe

3. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You always have the option of using Yamaha front presence, dsx wides and Dolby front heights for a 7.1 option.
    There is an argument for surround being better perceived from the front than from behind.

4. chopra2007

chopra2007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys for the help.
    I am going to get a 5.1 setup, my listening position is on my bed back up against the wall and I am in a medium sized bedroom 14'x16'. I am buying kef q300 fronts and q600 center channel. With that in mind, I have 3 questions..

1. For the 2 surround speakers in my 5.1, should i buy a pair of monopole bookshelfs or dipole's? What are the advantages of either one?
    I am asking this because I read this
    "The problem with di/bi-poles is they always have a diffused sound. With two monopoles, the sound engineer/mixer can create a diffused sound when wanted/needed. Soundtracks nowadays are mixed completely differently. With today's discretely mixed surround sound formats you don't really need or want your rear channels to provide a diffuse soundfield. All of the speakers in the system should have the same radiation characteristics. Any ambiance in the sound field can be mixed in by the engineer at production and doesn't need to be added to or augmented artificially at reproduction by the speakers. And unlike in the past, engineers nowadays are able to mix many distinct and punctate sounds into the surround channels. These sounds are certainly not meant to be reproduced diffusely. Properly configured and calibrated direct radiating surround speakers will reproduce the soundtrack exactly as the engineer intended."
    This is making me second guess buying dipoles instead of monopoles for my small room..
    (I have carpeted floors and small window drapes which hopefully gives decent dampening, if that makes any difference.)

2. If I buy a 7.1 denon or marantz amplifier that has discrete amp channels and I am only using 5.1 speakers, will I in essence get better power from those 5 channels since 2 are not being used, or am I just loosing the extra power from those unused channels? I know that the amplifier will not get as hot using 5 channels instead of 7, but what happens to the extra 100w/channel that is on tap?

3. (This depends on the last question's answer) If it turns out that the extra power is just sitting there and not being utilized by the amp, would it then be better to "bi-amp" the extra 2 channels to the fronts as many receivers have this function? I have read on many blogs that this is a waste unless your speakers are being way under powered but I would like to hear your opinions.

Also, if you look at my first post I have a link to pics of my back wall. I have windows on either side of the wall so I don't know where to place he bipoles if i buy them, unless i place them directly across from the front l/r, and slightly higher.

Thank you guys!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013