Bedroom sound options advice please.

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by bockster, Aug 27, 2012.

1. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I throw this open to the members?
    I've recently mounted a new tv in the bedroom wall (Sony KDL-22EX320) and, as could have been expected, the sound quality is shocking :(
    So I'm looking for options for improved sound and I'm weighing up the pro's and con's of a soundbar or a speaker dock. I'm thinking speaker dock because it will offer me zero installation issues and there seem to be a lot more bluetooth docks than soundbars, wireless music from iphone being as big a requirement as tv sound upgrade. The downside of the dock is that it will be positioned off centre to the tv, I mean to do a test to see how big an issue this will be.
    The tv has optical output (for the sound?) if this is a worthy consideration.
    We're not film buffs so surround sound is less of an issue to us.
    I'll say the budget is £300 for now. It must also be stylish and have some kick ;)
    Apologies if there is a better place for this post, just say.
    Thanks in advance for any thought's, idea's or recommendations.
    Cheers,
    Bockster.

2. lewis92

lewis92
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would buy an amp with fibre optic input (can get some good second hand ones online for a good price) then buy a decent pair of bookshelf speakers.

Mission MX1 review from the experts at whathifi.com (100 pounds now)

If you want to play music from your iphone just remove the input from the tv to your phone, or remove it from your tv and put it into a laptop or pc, then use an iphone as remote.

Just my thoughts!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. RGM80

RGM80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Bockster

I'm no expert on these things but I've been looking at various options for my living room set-up which has flagged up some products that have impressed me.

Firstly Currys have a special offer on a LG soundbar, LG NB3520A 2.1 Sound Bar buy online | Currys. I discounted for my requirements but it works with bluetooth and the quality sounded good. The amp gives it a good kick too, more than enough for a bedroom. It's a very neat system and also has two digital optical connections plus USB and 3.5mm jack I think. Currys previously sold it for £329 and it's now £199.

After hearing the soundbar I then heard the Bose Companion 3 in Comet. Bose sell them as multimedia speakers for a PC I believe. It was £250 but they had 10% off and the salesman offered me a further £25 of taking it down to £200, sure you could haggle the same deal if you have a store nearby. It only connects through 3.5mm Jack but for such small speakers it was a powerful system and looked nice too. The salesman cranked it up to halfway and the sound filled the store, well the area I was in at least. At no point did it feel as though the sound distorted as he increased the volume so another system to consider if your TV has a 3.5mm jack. Not the best connection method though I would stress.

4. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to consider a bose system but their bluetooth option just aren't doing it for me.
    Forgot to mention before, if its a sound bar it has to be quite short so it can be central to the tv, as the tv is close to an external corner and i don't want it overhanging.
    I'm really limiting my options aren't i :(
    Edit:- 700mm would be the max length of a soundbar.
    Another edit:- oh, and wall mountable.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Couldn't have been Comet (or was it Curry's next door?), Crayford because the Bose Comp 3 sounded complete ***** when I heard it a few months ago. Hand on heart - worse thing I've heard in years. For Bose's sake, I hope someone hadn't got it set-up correctly.