Bedroom set up for Dance music

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dave17, Jan 18, 2008.

1. dave17

dave17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am about to purchase some Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3s & DJM-600 mixer and would like a mew amp & speaker set up to go with it.

They must be wall mounted (on brackets) and not really looking to spend more than £350, anything cheaper is a bonus! I looked in Richer Sounds and they had the KEF Q1s in there, now im sure there are better out there but they sounded 'ok' in the shop, but its the shape that puts me off as i need to wall mount.

Looking to play House music through the set up, so needs a fair amount of bass but still needs clarity for all the mids/highs. Not 'too' fussed on colour or design, but if they look great aswel why not :)

If you could also reccomend an amp to couple with the speakers that would be great also (i understand i am in the speaker section :cool:)

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Have you thought about getting active monitors instead?

3. dave17

dave17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would they not be too big to mount on the wall though? they will be around 70cm above head height, standing around 1/3 metre from the wall

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    They come in all sizes. Click the Genelec banner ad on this page for more info.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    one thing you need to realise is you wont get thumping bass from small hifi boxes.....some can reach reasonably low and some go fairly loud, but you wont get pounding sound from them....for that you want to add a subwoofer.....or go for floorstanders....

6. dave17

dave17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand I wont get thumping bass from them, but I want to be able to get a fair amount to compliment the style of the music. A subwoofer could be purchased in the future but really looking for something to do the job until that time. The problem with floorstanders is they would have to be placed under the shelf where the decks would be, so the sound would be too low down in the room and passing straight past me, was looking for some mounted speakers so they blasted in your face :devil:

7. dave17

dave17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a bit more thought and could someone please reccomend me some nice floorstanders within my budget?

Thanks

8. rwniel

rwniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    How about the Mordaunt Short Avant 904i (basically the floorstanding verson of the 902i); if you feel bass is then lacking you could then add the 309i sub. :D Also, the Q Acoustics 1030i.

Robert

9. dave17

dave17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have my technics (1210's) running through a 15 year old technics amp and 8 year old Wharfdale Diamond 7.1's. I LOVE the sound I get from this set up. Goes easily loud enough to disturb the neighbours, and get enough bass out of them aswell.

I think you gotta be careful if thinking about a sub though. I find that the sub interferes with the noise through the headphones, making it harder to accuractly match the bass frequencies, and hence do the mix. I'm sure it would just take a bit of getting used to, but I find my set-up ideal for home mixing.

Them MS speakers and that amp should be more than adequate as you aint playing in a club anyway. Remeber though, DJ's in a club have a monitor in the box aswell, thats why all that bass on the dancefloor doesn't interfere with what they are doing.

Incidentally, I play breaks / techno / house aswell, and I find the technics / wharfedale combo excellent for that style. I wouldn't be adverse to buying a similar set-up again. And it would no doubt be cheap due to the age of the gear. I certainly wouldn't want to sell my set-up for as low a price as its probably worth, lol.

Hope that helps a bit. I just don't think you would need anymore than what has already been suggested. I doubt the floorstanders would make the difference too much, you dont need them for what your doing, and the extra expense could be better used for higher quality bookshelf speakers ;)

11. rwniel

rwniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    I haven't heard the Q Acoustics 1030i as it's pretty new, but if they're an improvement over the earlier 1030 then they should be pretty good. Actually you might want to demo the original 1030's as well (£150 compared to £210-ish for the 'i' version). You should find they're easy to drive even with modestly powered amps like the Cambridge Audio AZUR 340A. Best to get an audition alongside the 904i's plus whatever other speakers you decide to shortlist.

Robert

12. dave17

dave17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i have whittled it down to a few sets now :clap:

I have seen a set of 2nd hand KEF Q3s for sale so will be keeping an eye on them. Also considering the Mordaunt Short 904i's and the Q acoustics 1030's.

Now i just need to find somewhere to demo all 3 :confused: