• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bedroom clock

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Why is it so difficault to buy a suitable illuminated bedroom clock, this arrived today.

41MrGdbPBoL.jpg

All i want is something that is bright and illuminated and radio controlled and not an hour fast because it's foreign, i seem to be buying a clock every six months because NOTHING is suitable. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Foreign it's an hour fast.

simonlewis

Distinguished Member

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Do you have to press a button if so it's not suitable as the clock is on the opposite side of a king size bed.

IronGiant

Given that our O2 Joggler became a useless clock once O2 stopped supporting it (and I can't be arsed to jailbreak it) it makes a good bedroom clock and updates itself like a good dog :) Maybe you can pick one up cheap?

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Thanks that might be one to look out for in the future.

IronGiant

Edit: Beaten to it

We have a smartlite one for the caravan, does what it says on the tin. It's not radio controlled, but has a solar panel that charges up the smartlite to save the batteries. As we only tend to go away during BST it isn't a problem that it doesn't changeover :)

aVdub

Banned
View attachment 641891
I've got an old Morphy Richards that's so old it has a metre long FM cable hanging out the back and has never missed a beat since 19**

KISS is a word a like to use when it's not really important what it looks like.

Last edited:

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
I have five clocks in my lounge that i purchased for the bedroom and none are suitable. :(

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Well! This is interesting. There's no manufacturers name on the clock itself so I cannot look up the instructions or send you a link, so I've taken a photo. Anyway, as you can see it doesn't have the “LIGHT ALWAYS ON” feature – you have to push the button above for that for a few seconds illumination. But the point is that it keeps local time by the GPS/Satellite function …. even switching summer-winter time automatically. And yes, it does keep a good indoor signal. By pushing the Mode button you can use manual or the GPS system and I do wonder if not all radio controlled have this feature?
View attachment 641892

Yep - that says Radio Controlled - I highly doubt that has anything to do with GPS - it would be necessary and if it's battery operated would be a huge power drain :)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Yes, it is battery operated and I might take your word for it that it shouldn't be GPS-oriented but for the fact that it keeps GMT+1 here at home yet automatically adjusts for other time zones when we are abroad.

Is it not just picking up the local radio signal?

It just doesn't have the look of a device that has a complete GPS location -> time-zone mapping 'chip' - plus it has the official 'radio controlled' logo for the above mentioned transmitters.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Uhhhhhhhh ............
ScratchingHead.gif

All I know is it was dirt cheap and we've had it about 10 years. The point remains, it keeps local time no matter where we are. So I don't understand the OP's problem.

The OP's problem is that it's a clock made for the European mainland market, and it's receiving the European mainland time signal and showing him CET rather than GMT. Some clocks, like mine, have a switch so you can switch it from GMT to CET depending on where you are.

If you travel abroad with your phone, it will know what local time is as it will be determined by the local mobile signal provider.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom