Bedding in a Plasma

MisterS

Standard Member
Hi - I am taking delivery of a Plasma at the weekend.

I think I need to:
Keep it in an upright position when I receive.

I also have read about people 'bedding it in'. Is that required? What is the best process?

Many thanks.

nickfrog

Novice Member
I think it's a good idea to keep contrast and brightness low for the first 50 hours or so and minimise static elements.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Don't hammer it with gaming especially ones with huds and dont watch black bar dvd's one after another for at least 100 hours more if possible.

What set are you getting?

Silver Serpent

Just apply sensible settings in the correct picture mode (e.g. Cinema/Movie etc...) and you'll be fine.

Set the brightness (black level) to the correct value as there is no need to have it below where it should be at any stage of a displays age.

Set the contrast for comfortable viewing and don't use excessive sharpening.

MisterS

Standard Member
Don't hammer it with gaming especially ones with huds and dont watch black bar dvd's one after another for at least 100 hours more if possible.

What set are you getting?
It is the Panasonic ST - 42inch.

When people say 100 hours do you all mean 100 hours in one go or split up?

Like is it best to unbox the TV, plug in, put BBC HD on and leave it with the sound low for a week or (when not in use) or just use as normal, turn off, then after about 100 hours start playing with the settings?

What can go wrong with not adhering to this?

Thanks.

petlar

Novice Member
don't mean to hijack the thread. I would also like to know what settings I should use. Im getting a 50gt50 on Monday. just like to know is it ok to just put it on thx or some thing else sorry for noob question.:facepalm:

MisterS

Standard Member
don't mean to hijack the thread. I would also like to know what settings I should use. Im getting a 50gt50 on Monday. just like to know is it ok to just put it on thx or some thing else sorry for noob question.:facepalm:
More the merrier - we're asking the same set of questions :D

Bumtious

Banned
These sets simple

Put it in out of box normal mode, colour balance warm, cats off PNR off, orbiter on, sit back and enjoy.

Coatsy

Standard Member
Is it possible to be too careful when bedding in a new Plasma TV? I purchased a Panasonic Viera TX-P42X50B last week and I've got most of the settings at the very lowest I.e. Contrast, Brightness, Colour & Sharpness I've got really low, all are sitting at around 10% atm.

I've just ran films on a continued loop and avoided all TV channels that have a logo

I'm just worried about being too cautious and causing myself a problem,

I've also got these settings currently cats off PNR off, orbiter on

I've currently at around hour 70 of bedding in this new TV, loving the picture already! It's been difficult the past week being careful with the settings but hopefully worth it once it's bedded in! :)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Is it possible to be too careful when bedding in a new Plasma TV? I purchased a Panasonic Viera TX-P42X50B last week and I've got most of the settings at the very lowest I.e. Contrast, Brightness, Colour & Sharpness I've got really low, all are sitting at around 10% atm.

I've just ran films on a continued loop and avoided all TV channels that have a logo

I'm just worried about being too cautious and causing myself a problem,

I've also got these settings currently cats off PNR off, orbiter on

I've currently at around hour 70 of bedding in this new TV, loving the picture already! It's been difficult the past week being careful with the settings but hopefully worth it once it's bedded in! :)
Brightness needs setting to your environment using a test pattern or if you watch a film with black bars drop the brightness to 0 and bring back up, when the bars change go back a click. Brightness doesn't effect IR.

Colour set at default are use a test pattern to set.
Sharpness can effect IR but shouldn't be too high anyway.
Contrast at default should be fine IR wise, adjust to your environment.
Use normal mode as it has more dither that helps reduce IR.

In answer to your question no, it won't hurt your set having things set low, but it will effect your viewing pleasure and pointless.

Coatsy

Standard Member
Brightness needs setting to your environment using a test pattern or if you watch a film with black bars drop the brightness to 0 and bring back up, when the bars change go back a click. Brightness doesn't effect IR.

Thanks for the detailed reply Scooby!

In answer to your question no, it won't hurt your set having things set low, but it will effect your viewing pleasure and pointless.
If it's pointless then I'll stop doing it!

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the detailed reply Scooby!

If it's pointless then I'll stop doing it!

Thanks again :thumbsup:
Well some may disagree with me but those I respect would agree, turn the set on and use it as you like(to a degree lol).

Sets to vary a lot with IR the main contributors are contrast and sharpness. Sharpness you dint want high anyway and contrast on default should be fine and after a while you can raise it further if needed. Using normal with Panasonics is an idea as this mode has more dither(noise to some) than other presents.
Samsung and LG sets have more dither in their modes so IR is even less an issue.

So, just enjoy your set, if you get bad IR maybe drop the settings a tad, normal IR though tends to go quite quickly and majority of the time you won't even see it.

lord-dudester

ive just done 200 ish hours on mine (GT50) and even with the contrast, brightness, sharpness etc turned down the pictures been stunning !

ive now notched them up a touch and i think im gonna keep them at that as we watch tv/films in very low light

no problems at all and a stunning picture so im well chuffed with it

MisterS

Standard Member

Hi - This looks like great advice but struggling to understand it fully. What's a test pattern and how do i go about doing what you've recommend?

In 'normal' mode my blacks look rather grey and dull.

Thanks.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom