• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Becker Traffic Assist High Speed 7934 - Good deal @ £84.87?

SatNavGuest

Standard Member
I've been looking to buy a sat nav for a while but I couldn't really justify the price ... until I saw this deal at Tesco. Does anyone have any experience of this Becker model and is it worth buying a cheapie?

Thanks

Searcher2

I am interested in this too. Did you end up buying it? One of the reasons I am interested in it is that I have been told that this unit can run MioMap software on it (which is supposed to be better than the software on the Becker).

However, I am struggling to find much out about the MioMap software. I have found out that V3.3 has full UK postcode search but I THINK that it may not be able to do advanced journey planning or the option to avoid toll roads. Does anyone have experience of MioMap? Maybe needs its own post really.

emmrecs

Standard Member
Sorry, have only just seen this topic but..

YES £84.87 is a very good price

I have one, bought a few weeks ago from Pixmania for £116 and I considered that a good bargain!!

Mine came with one year's free subscription to Navigon Speed Camera data; there's already been one update.

Just one thing to consider: unless you're VERY fortunate the maps on the SD card are not the latest available. They're Navteq, latest version can be bought from the Navteq site but they cost £95 for the update DVD, delivered.

HTH

Searcher2

emmrecs... Given that TomTom One could have been bought at Christmas for £100 - what was it about the Becker that attracted you to that instead? I presume it is the huge mapping area.

Can the Becker do full postcode search? Show you an overview of the route it has planned? Create a route avoiding toll roads? Avoiding motorways?

I have TomTom on my phone but am looking for an all in one solution - would hate it if it was much worse than TomTom.

Thanks!

emmrecs

Standard Member
emmrecs... Given that TomTom One could have been bought at Christmas for £100 - what was it about the Becker that attracted you to that instead? I presume it is the huge mapping area.

Can the Becker do full postcode search? Show you an overview of the route it has planned? Create a route avoiding toll roads? Avoiding motorways?

I have TomTom on my phone but am looking for an all in one solution - would hate it if it was much worse than TomTom.

Thanks!

Hi Searcher2.

To answer your questions.

My reason for buying the Becker was that I had previously had the 7914 and been very pleased with its speed, clarity, accuracy etc. The only reason for changing to the 7934 was that Becker decided, in their wisdom, to offer no more updates for the 7914.

The huge mapping area was not a particular consideration for me but if I did much driving in Europe would certainly be a factor.

Full postcode search is certainly possible (I've just rechecked this as I had not needed to use this facility before).

Overview of the planned route is available as are the options to use/avoid if possible/avoid completely Motorways, Ferries and Toll Roads.

HTH.

Jeff

Rjudgey

I just bought one yesterday from Tescos at the bargain price of £89.99 and i must say although my first sat nav bit of a techno gadget phobia been a avid map reader the price was really tempting and also being able to drive through europe, also has the updated 2GB SD card inside and already it has shown me new routes i didn't even realize existed that were quicker!! Found it really easy to use and set it up in less than a few minutes first time round. Does everything that i need and has all the options of the others only one it doesnt is the speed cameras as standard, but lets face it if you can't see those you shouldn't be driving and if you stick the speeding warning beep on you won't be speeding to set of the camera anyways. The screen is nice and just big enough and not too big to get in the way the stand i thought was particularily stable and strong. Also love the fact i can play MP3's through it either with onboard speakers, headphones or even plug it into a suitable car stereo which has headphone jack input. Build of it is pretty solid i don't think it would stand too well being dropped on the corners as it's hard plastic but don't intend on using it outside of the car it looks quite good too and the lights are a nice little touch especially as you can adjust the colour from red to blue or off to suit the inside car lights. Also you get a 2 year warranty and Becker is a very well known brand that has always prided itself on very good quality products. So all in all dead chuffed and lets face it for nearly £90 notes it's so cheap it's worth getting just as a 2GB portable MP3 player!!!! Hell the 2GB SD card is worth £15!! and the Sat Nav feature is just a bonus!! Shame it can't play movies or it would be the DB's!!

Searcher2

We may be both posting on separate forums RJudgey...but anyway - for completeness here are my thoughts on the Becker.

I bought one of these units yesterday and have been having a mini play today. I have been used to TomTom on my mobile phone and so far have been a bit frustrated.

1. I updated the software from the DVD. However, from the info on the Settings option the version remained at B.1.0. I rang the Becker support line (0121 522 55 58) and was told that this is the map version not the software version. There is no way of knowing from the normal system whether the software has been updated or not - you just trust the update has worked. I have checked in the system files and they are dated today but a casual user would not be able to tell this.

2. I was told by the support person that you only get the maps shipped with the unit. There is a new set of maps (version 2). We can't have these.

3. If I put in a postcode the system gives me a GPS position rather than a street name. Also if I put in a postcode I can't put in a house number. On the TomTom once you have put in a postcode you (normally) can put in a house number and it will take you to the door. Inputting of postcodes is cumbersome. Get the letters menu up and put in the first 2 letters then go to the numbers menu and put in the next bit then go to the letters menu and put in the space (surely doesn't need the space! But it does) then go the numbers menu and put in the number from the second part of the postcode and finally go the the letters menu and put in the last bit.

4. I put my own address in using Town, then street then number of my house. I live in a T shaped cul-de-sac and it has my location in the wrong side of the T (so it would take me right instead of left when I go in). The TomTom is spot on (even with 4 year old maps).

5. There is no way to plan a trip ahead of time and see the route the unit will take. It will show you the start and the end point on the map - but no route (either graphical or in text form). The TomTom will do this. This unit just tells you the length of the journey in miles and time.

6. In the points of interest for my town (and I suspect others) there seemed to be only a few commercial ones. I could not find a hospital for example. TomTom has this and is something I have used in the past when my father was taken into a hospital I had never been to before.

This is without me having taken it out on the road yet! I suspect that this unit is good for people who travel in Europe (especially Eastern Europe when I think this is a real bargain) but for UK use I think it is worth spending a bit more and getting a TomTom.

However, I haven't tried putting the MioMap software on it yet - as mentioned that could be a lot better. I think I should be able to return it on the basis that it doesn't know where my house it.

Rjudgey

Sorry to hear your not pleased with it agree the postcode thing is a pain to use but for the price and everythign else it suits me fine so i'm more than happy with it. Tom Tom's are very good and win all the reviews most the time Garmin are pretty good too but like my little MP3 player with it's Sat Nav feature which was what i was kinda after as i like having an MP3 player in the car and would be nice to have a unit which can do both without having lots of things in the car or my pockets when i leave the car. If you want ultra accurate maps and details of U.K. only worth updating the maps or buying more expensive Sat Nav i've only just got into this so whole Sat Nav thing was just impressed with what £90 can buy you these days.

Searcher2

I think if you have not experienced a TomTom (or similar) before or can't afford more than £100 you will be very happy. I am really looking at it for someone who will want to use it in Romania so for her it is worth it just for that as you have to fork out serious money for a TomTom to do that. I was hoping I would like it more than I do - but I am about to take it on a test run tonight so I may grow to like it more. I wandered outside and it quickly picked up the satellites and planned a route for me but it seemed to hang when I wanted to get back to the main menu and I had to switch it off.

Anyway I will see how it gets on....tbc! :)

SatNavGuest

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Searcher2, it's me on the other forum. :D I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with the MioMap software - are you definitely going to install it?

Searcher2

SatNavGuest.... Not sure yet. I have the software but no maps. And my friend who wants it for Romania wants to pick it up tomorrow.

Gave the Becker software a run out tonight and ended up 5 minutes late for a new college class as it took me at least 2 miles out of the way. I guess I could have put the postcode in wrong so I need to double check that tomorrow - but had it given me a street name when I put in the postcode I would have known if I had got the right location. As it was I got lost!

There were no speed limits either. Other than that it was loud enough and the voice was clear. It stuck to the windscreen well.

I know I don't want this unit and daren't really risk messing it up if I am giving it to my friend... so probably won't try MioMap.

EDIT : I reinput the postcode in the Becker and also in TomTom. The Becker gives a location about 3-4 miles from the actual location (making me late for my class). Having got back and checked - the TomTom is spot on. On the way home the Becker tried to take me a way I would never have dreamt of going.... it being a good 2 miles longer than the way I would normally go. I have just put it in the TomTom and the TomTom would have taken me the way I would have gone. As for the MioMap I thought they used the same mapping company as the Becker so I think it would come up with the same wrong postcode location.... Maybe I got unlucky - but as a result of that one experience I would not like to trust the Becker in the UK. It doesn't help that it doesn't know where my house is. Maybe the newer maps are more up to date and they are more readily available for the MioMap.

SatNavGuest

Standard Member
OK, thanks Searcher2. So as it is, it's probably not worth keeping then. Do you think your friend is likely to want to install MioMap and are they on any forums so they could let us know how they get on? :D

Edit in response to your edit: Hmmmmm, perhaps I'll just take it back and spend a bit more getting the Garmin Nuvi 250 which 2 different people have recommended.

Animal388

Standard Member
hi all got this sat nav form tescos b4:) got to say for the money you cant go wrong :) also went straight to becker web site and got update to sort the post code thing mines fine, but i would be definatly interested in software change, if anyone knows how to this help greatly apprciated.

emmrecs

Standard Member
hi all got this sat nav form tescos b4:) got to say for the money you cant go wrong :) also went straight to becker web site and got update to sort the post code thing mines fine, but i would be definatly interested in software change, if anyone knows how to this help greatly apprciated.

Hi Animal388, what software do you want to update?

If you've downloaded the operating software update from Becker, the only other one, I think, is a map update which you can buy from the Navteq site:
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...Ce0&ShowAllProducts=YES&ShowAllCategories=YES

HTH

Animal388

Standard Member
hi sorry its doing same thing now it appears the post code only works after ive put town in, it did however work directly, but iam asuming this was because i was in doors and it did it off memory.

Animal388

Standard Member
card reader!! anyone had problmes with a pc card reader and the becker cards?? ive tryed putting new maps on card though usb and the count down list 3 and half hours??? then its just stops half way though so ive tryed using the card reader in my pc and the reader pauses for about 10 mins thens says i have to format card witch i do then it tells me that the card is only 1 gig and not 2 gig as is writen on the card so now the maps wont fit on??? this is going to be the second becker in week and looks like this one is going back!!!

emmrecs

Standard Member
card reader!! anyone had problmes with a pc card reader and the becker cards?? ive tryed putting new maps on card though usb and the count down list 3 and half hours??? then its just stops half way though so ive tryed using the card reader in my pc and the reader pauses for about 10 mins thens says i have to format card witch i do then it tells me that the card is only 1 gig and not 2 gig as is writen on the card so now the maps wont fit on??? this is going to be the second becker in week and looks like this one is going back!!!
Yes, update via card reader is MUCH quicker than via direct USB connection.

Don't know why the card should be seen by your PC as only 1 Gig. As you say, that would make it not big enough to contain all the necessary data; in fact, it couldn't have worked at all! As supplied the card has about 1.4Gig of data on it.

My suspicion is that either Windows is not seeing it properly or (possibly connected) the reformat did not work properly. I would try to reformat, using the option for Full Format, i.e not "Quick Format".

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom