1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beck - 'Guero' CD & DVD-Audio (Double Disc)

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Floodedstatue, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    21st March sees the release of the new Beck album 'Guero', which is supposedly a return to form. Not that I didnt like his previous effort, but it was very stripped-down and acoustic, not his usual funky style.

'Guero' was originally planned as a Hybrid SACD, but for one reason or another Universal decided to scrap that idea and release a twin pack CD/DVD Audio, aswell as the regular single CD version. These CD/DVD-Audio's are being called 'Double Discs'. The UK version includes bonus tracks featuring remixes by the likes of Royksopp and Boards Of Canada...so should be interesting!

Worth checking out I would suggest. The DVD-Audio is bound to sound excellent :smashin:

2. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,584
    I think they're called Dual Discs in the US. Supposedly they've had a successful launch a few months back over there and now they're looking to roll out in Europe. I want AC/DC's Back in Black. Tht should sound great in DVD-A!!!!

3. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There are 2 different types now. There are DualDiscs (CD on one side, DVD on the other) and there are Double Discs (CD and DVD separately). The Beck one is going to be a Double Disc with DVD-Audio content on the DVD.

The problem with DualDisc has always been the compatability. I got one recently and it didnt work in either of my DVD players. So I have decided that I will steer clear of DualDiscs until they get the issues resolved and they are compatible.

As for the AC/DC DualDisc, it has been circulating in America for some time, and I believe it is NOT surround sound. The first batch of DualDiscs that were trialled in the USA simply had DVD videos etc. on the DVD side, there was no sign of any surround-sound content. So if you're anticipating Back In Black in surround-sound, I think you will be dissapointed.

I hope this clears up some confusion. Too many formats to get to grips with, that's the problem :rolleyes:

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Donnacha - DualDiscs are a completely different animal! A DVD on one side with a CD on the other but from the outset were full of problems with some / lots of players unable to play them
    The DoubleDisc that Floodedstatue is on about is a fairly new idea of a pack containing a DVD & a CD - The Beck one features a DVD-A and a CD and can be picked up for a decent price if you shop around
    BTW - The DualDisc of B in B was a CD and a DVD-A but only had a 2 channel mix on the DVD-A and not 5.1 (which seems to defeat the object!) A 5.1 version of B in B would be superb (the CD is one of the best rock mixes ever IMHO)
    Paul ;)

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Play.com had it on pre-order earlier this week for £12.99 but it is now £14.99. Luckily I ordered it at the lower price :thumbsup:

6. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20