Beautiful Sunday Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Gerard Magnier, 19th June 2010.
</p> ‘A Beautiful Sunday’ was released in 2007 and was written and directed by Jin Kwang Gyo. Having never heard of the cast or director on this release I plunged into the opening scenes unperturbed, confident that Korean cinema would provide another thrilling experience. The plot is split into two distinct subplots. One follows Detective Kang as he lands himself in trouble with local gangsters, following a failed effort to secure funds to pay for his wife’s medical bills. The second follows Min-woo, a young man who finds himself in the throes of unrequited love. Obviously borrowing heavily from the stellar works of Park Chan-wook, this young director has made a brave stab at emulating his hero and attempts to produce an original and thought provoking piece of cinema. Unfortunately, woeful acting, a meandering and uninviting plot and some mediocre direction means that this release falls short of the mark. </p> The transfer on this release is poor for such a recent cinematic release. The use of DNR and edge enhancement means that the image appears false and over processed. Some scenes can display some nice detail but overall this pales in comparison to more recent BD releases. The LCPM surround track is adequate and really just gets the job done with no real moments to impress. The extras portion consists of one paltry trailer and that’s the lot. Overall there is really not a whole lot to recommend with this release and I would only suggest a purchase to hardcore fans of the movie or the director.

Read the full review...

KBeee

"...The plot is split into two distinct subplots. One follows Detective Kang as he lands himself in trouble with local gangsters, following a failed effort to secure funds to pay for his wife’s medical bills."

Sounds a little like Beat Takeshi's "Hanabi"
Now THERE'S a good movie...
:)

reingam

I think, from reading a brief synopsis, that this is a little different to Hanabi - one of the stroylines seems to have a lot in common but I doubt that anything else is similar - Hanabi looks like a good movie though so I will check it out at some stage
Ger :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom