"Beautiful" Sub with power that goes LOW <15hz

alegend2k

Standard Member
Reaction score
hey there
Im currently lookin for 2 subwoofers for my room which is rather big - its a living room / Kitchen, roughly 65 square meters. (measuremants in plan are in meter!)
The sub should be "beautiful" as stated above .)
Meaning no monolith monster or Arendal or anything like that) - my wife would kill me :-9
Im running 4x KEF CI 200RR Ceiling speaker, 2x CI 200R surrounds and 3xci3160rl on a Marantz SR8015.
wall.png

Attached you can see the height of the room - it is pretty high!
So the goal is not to get crazy all room shaking bass (as I know most of the subs which fit here wont be able to do that) - i want a nice deep bass and good looking subs.

Mostly used for Home Theater and some music (not loud but good sounding)
So I thought about: ( i would prefer a sub with a dsp!!) so maybe with app....
-2xMartin Logan Dynamo 1600x
-2x B&W DB1D
-2 SVS SB 16 ultra (no dsp:-(
Any other idea for non ULTRA huge subs wich perform great and are available in germany?
Max budget would be like 2x DB1D
I would appreciate any input...

Wilson Benesch Torus?? - not sure what the new model RRP's at??

Hsu model looks nice

Can't beat the finish of a Funk. They'll outperform the DB range as well.

Ok lets wrap things up
=> Velodyne DD15+ outta my price range here in germany bechause I need 2x
What about Velodyne DD Plus 10 x2 ? too small drivers? as far as the data these seem to go very low and lots of wattage...but missing soom boom for movies because small driver?
Im asking because I can get these discounted here for 3000€ (around 3350$ usd) per piece.
Only downside...looks are not that nice :_9
=> Paradigm Signature Sub 2 too expensive x 2
=> Wilson Benesch Torus => MASSIVE OVER BUDGET LOL
=> ULS-15 MK2 dont like the look and not availabel for me in germany
=> Funk Audio - 18.0E looks great but i cant get here in germany....
Any other solutions?

=> For Velodyne you'd be better off going for the non-plus version and sticking with the 15 (or 18).
There's a 12 as well. If you can get used and you're happy with used then the DD15+ isn't more expensive than the DB1D.

=> With the Paradigm sub 2 you might only need one. It's over budget though.

=> HSU ship internationally.

=> For Funk, this is from their site:
Prices are in USD and include shipping within North America
We ship worldwide, contact us for a quote.

So you could get them in Germany as well.

You might be better off going for something like four SVS PB3000s in piano gloss. You'll be able to put them around the room then which should help with any weird room modes you get from the angled ceiling. There's no point having them look amazing but sounding awful.

You'll also need something like an UMIK1 microphone and a minidsp to manage and integrate them properly.

Don't understand your "no DSP" comment here - the SB16-Ultra uses Analog Devices DSP like all latest generation SVS subs.

You might be better off going for something like four SVS PB3000s in piano gloss.
Do you mean SB-3000s? PB-3000 is only available in Black Ash.

Don't understand your "no DSP" comment here - the SB16-Ultra uses Analog Devices DSP like all latest generation SVS subs.

Do you mean SB-3000s? PB-3000 is only available in Black Ash.
I'd made an assumption that they were consistent with finishes through the range.
It'll have to be the 4000 then to get the gloss by the looks of things.

That means the OP would be able to get three for the money of dual DB1D.

I'd made an assumption that they were consistent with finishes through the range.
It'll have to be the 4000 then to get the gloss by the looks of things.

That means the OP would be able to get three for the money of dual DB1D.
Yes, all SVS ported subs below the 4000 series only come in black ash which is a shame as in many ways the 3000 outperforms the 4000. That said, as the OP wants infrasonic bass the 4000 is a better choice albeit a far more expensive one.

If your budget is big enough Ascendo can and do an upmarket finish

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 10.52.00.png

Im not sure if the sb 16 ultra is that good?! pb 16 ok but sb 16? Not sure and my wife doenst like the looks
Currently I came across
Merovinger Subs from Germany- a built to order manufacturer with quite interestings subs i think up to 52 inch? or at least 46".
Their subs are active subs with a small sensor in the membrane...which corrects the signal...
Here in germany ppl say these are very very good subs especially because the build what you want in a case you want..
Im scared of ordering funk audio subs because if there is a warranty case....
I gotta admit the ASCENDO SMSG 15 looks really good!
But I think to expensive...

Sv
m not sure if the sb 16 ultra is that good?! pb 16 ok but sb 16? Not sure and my wife doenst like the looks
Currently I came across
Merovinger Subs from Germany- a built to order manufacturer with quite interestings subs i think up to 52 inch? or at least 46".
Their subs are active subs with a small sensor in the membrane...which corrects the signal...
Here in germany ppl say these are very very good subs especially because the build what you want in a case you want..
Im scared of ordering funk audio subs because if there is a warranty case....

Svs used to be good value for money but no so anymore.

What you described are servo subs, velodyne and rytmik are two brands that have this tech (I think paradigm and Yamaha also)

SB16 was mentioned because you said it had no DSP, I think. Both the 16 Ultras have DSP.

Never heard of Merovinger. I would be more focussed on multiple subs rather than larger. Larger will get you more headroom, and better extension (usually) but more will give you a smoother response across a wider area. That sensor is probably a similar thing to the velodyne (and others) servo control. Only velodyne and rhytmik (I think) use it now, it's generally not needed with lighter drivers, bigger voice coils and more powerful amps. It doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't pay extra just for it. Low distortion is generally achieved through less driver movement, which means more drivers or larger drivers, or both.

The only thing that goes wrong with subs is the amp and amps are light. I think funk amps are outboard as well, so nothing to dismantle.

Servo design means higher risk nof failure also need factory servicing and calibration over time. I guess the servo needs to be set and DSP instructed when it's at the "rest" position and calibration means input from calibration unit the servo has to match this and then something like a potenmeter isnset so at certain signal voltage the two are set?

Merovinger subs look interesting, and they're local too (to you, at least)

They're 460mm though, not 46" (that would be nearly a 4 foot driver!), so 18". Should still be capable. I'd go with the two or three of the 1/38 or two of the 1/46.

Bear in mind the prices on their site are 2019 prices. My guess is they will have gone up a lot in the past two years.

Merovinger subs look interesting, and they're local too (to you, at least)

They're 460mm though, not 46" (that would be nearly a 4 foot driver!), so 18". Should still be capable. I'd go with the two or three of the 1/38 or two of the 1/46.

Bear in mind the prices on their site are 2019 prices. My guess is they will have gone up a lot in the past two years.
Looks like £3k+ for the single 18" sub, interesting all the same and looks like they do offer high end finishes.

Looks like £3k+ for the single 18" sub, interesting all the same and looks like they do offer high end finishes.
Where are you seeing that? I'm seeing €2,500 for the single 18". The more expensive one is the dual 18 isn't it?

Sorry for the 38" :) was a mistake - of course 38cm...
I wrote a msg to Merovinger about pricings. They build any case and finish you want...so will see what the price will be.
For me the size, looks and power of the FUNK 18.0E is nice - could be a bit too wide. (see attached pic)
I think pricing will be too high also ...i will ask about pricing for shiping to germany and whether the offer tax and customs service....so that I have an final total price.
JTR RS2 => i need two seperate subs for left and right
In the above posted pic there is a lowboard which sits directly between the in wall speakers so there is not sooo much room
I attach another picture...the SLIMFOCUS SUSPENDU is a chimney which hangs on the ceiling at a distance => rouhgly about 30cm from the floor...
U can google the chimney to see what i mean...so the 1st sub hast do sit between the lowobard and the chimney .
I generally aim for 38cm (15") subs not smaller.
1641316733926.png

hey there
Im currently lookin for 2 subwoofers for my room which is rather big - its a living room / Kitchen, roughly 65 square meters. (measuremants in plan are in meter!)
The sub should be "beautiful" as stated above .)
Meaning no monolith monster or Arendal or anything like that) - my wife would kill me :-9
Im running 4x KEF CI 200RR Ceiling speaker, 2x CI 200R surrounds and 3xci3160rl on a Marantz SR8015.View attachment 1629268
Attached you can see the height of the room - it is pretty high!
So the goal is not to get crazy all room shaking bass (as I know most of the subs which fit here wont be able to do that) - i want a nice deep bass and good looking subs.

Mostly used for Home Theater and some music (not loud but good sounding)
So I thought about: ( i would prefer a sub with a dsp!!) so maybe with app....
-2xMartin Logan Dynamo 1600x
-2x B&W DB1D
Any other idea for non ULTRA huge subs wich perform great and are available in germany?
Max budget would be like 2x DB1D
I would appreciate any input...

Is the Arendal 1723 2S too boxy? It`s narrower with lower depth than SB16U, they have larger ported models which you might have only seen, the 2S is sealed design. Performance wise similar to SB16U at 20hz and below, Arendal ahead from 50hz upwards. Sadly gloss finishes (black/white) available 15.4.2022 so longer wait, but satin finishes in stock. Arendal offers great bang for buck if we compare to others on your list!

Pricing for single:
Gloss black/white 1723 2S = 2300€ vs. SB16U = 3099€ (DE pricing) - B&W DB1D 5000€ (DE pricing).

New Velodyne DD+ and JL Audio models should be introduced shortly (Q1/2022).

Funk probably costs so much shipped to EU. JTR would be killer, but not cheap to EU either.

@
Is the Arendal 1723 2S too boxy? It`s narrower with lower depth than SB16U, they have larger ported models which you might have only seen, the 2S is sealed design. Performance wise similar to SB16U at 20hz and below, Arendal ahead from 50hz upwards. Sadly gloss finishes (black/white) available 15.4.2022 so longer wait, but satin finishes in stock. Arendal offers great bang for buck if we compare to others on your list!

Pricing for single:
Gloss black/white 1723 2S = 2300€ vs. SB16U = 3099€ (DE pricing) - B&W DB1D 5000€ (DE pricing).

New Velodyne DD+ and JL Audio models should be introduced shortly (Q1/2022).

Funk probably costs so much shipped to EU. JTR would be killer, but not cheap to EU either.
You right ! Could fit in my environment looks pretty nice..
just measured again and it would fit really good!
There are 2 things which "may" be deal breakers - i want your opinions on that:
- Sidefire => the sub on the right side will face directly to concrete wall on its right side (maybe with 30cm distance, its left sub will face the lowboard with around 30cm distance;
For the lefthand sub, its right sub will face directly to the lowboard, left sub will face no where :) (height is 62cm => USM HALLER BRAND) so you can see what kind of "low"board this is

- No automatic room correction => Will I be ablet to get a good bass in my difficult room with these?

-Maybe a third point => "only" 17hz - is this enough for things like edge of tomorrow!?
I cant find a reald good review on these subs

30cm gap is fine to the wall or lowboard. You might need to make sure the lowboard is very secure to avoid resonances.

You don't say what the gap is on the left sub between it's driver and the lowboard, but as long it's 20cm or more you'll be fine. I think Arendal say it can be as low as 10cm.

You're generally better off using DSP before the subs anyway. Your Marantz has dual sub outputs and Audyssey which should do a decent job with the bass. You can always add something like a minidsp to improve things later.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom