Beautiful South, Awful 5.1 mix

Kevo

Just received Beautiful South - Munch - Hits DVD and the DD 5.1 is the worst I have heard yet for a music DVD.

There is hardly any centre channel and practically no rear channels. Even turning them up to max has no effect.

So you are left with a very heavy and wide Front L & R mix which sounds like an out of phase stereo mix.

I've only a few popular music DVDs and the more I hear, the more I am convinced that it doesn't really lend itself to 5.1.

Queen's Night at the Opera DVD-A was another one, it was ok but a bit contrived, like those early stereo mixes in the 50s where you had vocals coming out of one speaker and music out of the other!

Maybe some of these music studio engineers haven't quite grasped it yet or i've just been unlucky!

Zog

I've got a couple of music DVD's that I am mightyly impressed with.
"Stop Making Sense" by Talking Heads. This has 2 x 5.1 mixes, both with very definite atmospheres. The first is as it would have been heard in the mixing studio, the second is a Live concert mix described as " a recreation of what it would have sounded like to be sat in the front row". Both are frighteningly impressive. The disc only cost me £8 in HMV recently.

The second suggestion is James "Getting Away With It....Live". Again a truly awesome reproduction.

I would never suggest buying these for anything else other than the music, but if you dont like either band it may just be worth borrowing or renting them to give you a little more faith in what is really possible with music and 5.1.

Reiner

What do you expect? Most masters are in plain old stereo so where should the 5.1 mix suddenly come from?
Ok, so you can remix it to 5.1 but most studios wouldn't bother, they just transfer the original track to DVD, somehow blowing it up to 5.1 and you can sell another DVD with "Dolby Digital 5.1". That's what I call a rip-off.

Well, another good example is Roy Orbison's Black and White Night DVD though it still takes me getting used to hearing instruments playing at the back when the musicians are in front of the stage. Yet it's not "as bad" as the Eagles DTS ....

jdanielp

on the topic of popular music DVDs, has anyone got the Saint Etienne, Smash the System DVD and if so is it any good?

jdanielp

oh yeah, also, i was interested in the Beautiful South DVD as well... just wondering, while the 5.1 mode may be crap, does it sound good in Stereo at least and have decent video quality?

Kevo

Originally posted by jdanielp
oh yeah, also, i was interested in the Beautiful South DVD as well... just wondering, while the 5.1 mode may be crap, does it sound good in Stereo at least and have decent video quality?

The video quality varies from grainy (early videos) to excellent (recent videos). I don't think they have done any re-mastering on the pic but it holds up very well.

I've only listened to a bit of the 2.0 channel soundtrack and though not as dynamic as the 5.1 the stereo soundstage is MUCH more natural.

But, it's still an excellent collection of vids (99 mins total!) and each one 'will be your fave' !

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom