Beatles vinyl remasters

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by vinylman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I know there has been a thread on this already but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know if the Beatles vinyl remastered are completely authentic? I've been listening to the, and really enjoying them but haven't they been processed digitally at some point meaning that they are not as authentic sounding as they would have been in the 60s?
    Also, does anyone know if/when the mono versions will be available?
    VM

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Yes, they are mastered from the same digital source as the 2009 CDs.

3. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Dave, that's what I assumed. Surely there's little point in putting digital music onto vinyl. I've been listening to the new records and really enjoying them but I can't help but feel let down by apple. In fact I buy lots of new vinyl on a regular basis and I'm sure it sounds much better than my CDs do but now I'm wondering if I'm just hearing what I want to hear? Surely the vinyl and the CD are the same?

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Someone more knowledgable will be along shortly, but I think there will be some difference.

Assuming the masters are Hi Res digital files at 24/96, they would have to be compressed to 16/44.1 to go onto a CD, but not to go onto vinyl. If they were released on SACD, there should be no difference at all.

5. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Good point! So I guess a decent digitally sourced vinyl should be comparable with a DVD/Bluray audio or SACD?

It's not all bad then...

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Exactly.

There will be differences between LP and Res digital sources replay of the same master, mainly due to the replay system. I'm not a huge fan of DSD, as I find it often err's towards emphasising the higher end of audio stream, and that makes them too bright for me.

The new Pink Floyd albums are taken from a Digital source. It makes for 'interesting' comparisons, and I find the new Floyd LP's sterile by comparison with the analogue sourced. But that may just be down to the ****wit who mastered them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  7. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have the new Floyd LPs and they sound great to me when I compare them with the CD, DVD audio and Blu ray audio. I don't have the SAcD unfortunately and I'm told that it is the version to have. Having said that, I would have thought that a blu ray audio should outperform an SACD?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    That's the Michell working it's magic. The Xerxes is pretty ruthless with some recordings and the new Floyd albums sound devoid of life compared with my original versions.

The SACD's are the ones to have for 5.1, but they don't do anything for me. In fact having recently heard the Quad DSTOM, Guthries atrocious mastering was put in an even worse light. The Quad version is streets ahead of the SACD.

Blu ray vs SACD. In theory the Blu Ray should sound better. However, I'm not convinced thus far with the Audio Blu Rays I've bought. Some have been seriously good, some a real disappointment.

I'm hoping the latter is purely down to the mastering! :rolleyes:

9. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I listened to Abbey Road earlier. Wow - the bass is so strong on the remaster and the drums have a new thud to them. I can imagine how it might have sounded to hear them playing come together as a group with the mighty Ringo behind the kit and Paul playing bass in his inimitable style.

10. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
  11. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: