Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour on Blu

Mr Lime

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At bloody last! Perhaps they will release Let It Be sometime before their original fan base is dead and buried!

The Beatles

I thought in another thread it said that no one ever kept a master copy as the ratings for it at the time were so bad.

It will be interesting to see what the picture quality is like.

HummerUK

The clips from the film shown in The Beatles Anthology DVD release look excellent as do the clips on the promo video for the BD release, so fingers crossed for this one.

yeah im surprised this is being released so close to yellow submarine, which is excellent...im hoping we will see let it be sometime soon as well, also wouldnt mind blurays versions of the anthology and upgrades of help and a hard days night while we at it!...also wouldnt ind the entire beatles boxset in high resolution, which they should have done, on the remastered beatles boxset.

i did notice on the listings for content on magical mystery tour they havent done a feature on i am the walrus which seems like an opportunity lost!

im currently enjoying the mathew street festival, with plenty of tribute bands and music.

me being a massive beatles fan, as if you couldnt tell!

Just been watching the showing of this which was on BBC HD yesterday.

Not bad and I see at the end it was restored from 16mm film to 4k

If I had known they were showing the complete feature I would have posted before rather than after the showing.

HummerUK

£44 for something that was shown on BBC HD on saturday? No thanks!
OK you get a book and a vinyl EP thrown in. But even so...

ive recorded this from the arena specials at the weekend im a massive beatle fan, but i find magical mystery tour nearly unbearable to watch, other than the music sequences, even taken into context of the time and what they were trying to do. i was excited, but then when i watched it again it was very difficult, so ive decided to pass on this now.

ARTS: Arena
On: BBC HD (109)
Date: Saturday 6th October 2012 (Already shown)
Time: 21:45 to 22:45 (1 hour long)

The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour (Part 1).
Arena presents the first part of the greatest Beatles story never told. A documentary full of fabulous Beatles archive never shown before anywhere in the world and the only film conceived and directed by The Beatles themselves, fully restored to the highest and complete with a remixed soundtrack. In 1967, in the wake of the extraordinary impact of Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles made a film - a dreamlike story of a coach daytrip, a magical mystery tour. It was seen by a third of the nation, at 8.35pm on BBC1 on Boxing Day - an expectant public, hoping for some light entertainment for a family audience. Magical Mystery Tour was greeted with outrage and derision by middle England and the establishment media. Where were the four lovable moptops of Help! and A Hard Day's Night? What propelled The Beatles to make this surreal, startling and - at the time - utterly misunderstood film?
(Editor's Choice, Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described, 3 Star)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=69933

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

I would indeed guess that is the same program that you get on the BD box set?

ARTS: Arena
On: BBC HD (109)
Date: Saturday 6th October 2012 (Already shown)
Time: 22:45 to 23:40 (55 minutes long)

The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour (Part 2).
Arena presents the second part of the greatest Beatles story never told. A screening of the only film conceived and directed by The Beatles themselves, unscreened for 30 years and now fully restored to the highest standard and complete with a remixed soundtrack. By the end of 1967, The Beatles had achieved a creativity unprecedented in popular music. Their triumphant summer release, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, was both avant garde and an instant hit. It went straight to No.1 in June and remained there for the rest of the year. They immersed themselves in the fiercely radical art of the new counter culture and decided to make a film on their own terms, not as pop stars but as artists.
(Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described, 3 Star)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=69933

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

And the main feature which was in 4:3 pillar box.

HummerUK

Who amongst you saw this live, first time around?

I watched it round my Grandparents on boxing day. We were all Beatles fans - as almost everyone was then regardless of age - but I remember much scratching of heads by the end of it. What was all that about? :)

If I recall it was the first program to be shown on the BBC and ITV and I think at the same time.

And yes, I remember watching then...

HummerUK

The broadcast was DNRd to an inch of its life. I'm hoping the Blu-ray fairs better

I would indeed guess that is the same program that you get on the BD box set?

And the main feature which was in 4:3 pillar box.

HummerUK

& that quite surprised me

I've never seen it before, but the ratio bothered me

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom