Question Bear with me: Going round in circles about new 55-60"

Higgo

Apologies in advance but I've managed to thoroughly confuse myself about what TV to buy. The last TV I bought was a TX-37X10 which is going strong but we're doing up another room and will put a TV in there.

We want one as big as possible for (in order):
  • watching 'normal' TV (inc. sport)
  • the lad playing on a PS4
  • watching films
We will be sat at 3.1metres and the space is not quite big enough for a 65" TV. So logically we should look at 60 (or 58) inch TVs but it looks like there's much more choice (and better value?) at 55"

I'd love a huge Atmos surround system but the fact that it's a family living room first and foremost and the limited time we get to actually sit down, relax and watch a film from start to finish means it's not justified. So that means a soundbar solution. That one's relatively easy. I think I've settles on a Sony HT-MT300. This wins because of the lack of wires and the slim sub living under the sofa.

Where I'm going round and round in circles is the TV...
I can't even explain how I've reached this conclusion but the current contenders are:
Sony 55XE90 and LG 60UJ750V. I came into this with a budget of £700 for the TV and both of these are more than than. I've looked at loads of TVs as part of this exercise, too many to remember (and the model numbers confuse me) but one that I came close to was the Panasonic 58DX700B.

I can get the Sony 55XE90 for £1300 with a 'free' soundbar but it's the HT-CT290. Any views on this combo? The LG 60UJ750V score points with me by being that bit bigger but is it as good as the Sony?

Beyond my budget but very tempting is the LG 55B7

Is there anything else I should be looking at? As much as I'd like to be shopping for the 'best available TV', I'm actually shopping for the best 'value for money' TV.

Thanks in advance for any input.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Do you tend to watch with the room lights up or down?

Will you be buying a Blu-ray UHD player and discs for the films?

Higgo

Most of the time the lights will be on while we're watching TV. I'd love to tell you that the lights are off and we've settled down for an evening of film viewing but family, work and other hobbies means it's a rarity - maybe once every two or three months.

In fact the new room opens onto another room with a lot of roof windows (with no blinds) so apart from winter months it won't be properly dark anyway.

Higgo

Will you be buying a Blu-ray UHD player and discs for the films?
To start with at least, we'll either use the PS4 Pro for Blu-ray or move the under used Blu-ray player from the front room.

At 3.1m I don't think we'd 'see' 4k over 1080p would we?

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Couple of things for you to consider:
1. At your distance, I will get a 65. Make sure you measure the space. The 65xe90 should reach £1500 by Black Friday

2. I will not even look at the xe80 as the xe90 is probably the best value tv of the year. The step down xe85 is virtually identical with less brightness and edge lid. The xe80 just peaks at 450 nits and doesn’t have the x1 extreme

3. 55Xe90 will reach £1k for Black Friday.the xe85 will play £200 cheaper

4.oled 55c7 is top for £1500 around Black Friday

Last edited:

Higgo

Couple of things for you to consider:
1. At your distance, I will get a 65. Make sure you measure the space. The 65xe90 should reach £1500 by Black Friday
We just don't have the room for a 65" TV. It's going on a wall between two immovable things and there's just not quite enough space. Even a 60" is tight.

3. 55Xe90 will reach £1k for Black Friday.
4.oled 55c7 is top for £1500 around Black Friday
I'd forgotten about Black Friday. In fact the building work is due to finish on... Black Friday!

Plugman

Personally can’t go wrong with the XE90 I have the 49inch with sound bar and its brilliant. I think the 55inch will be about £1100 Black Friday without the sound bar. I would check price4.co.uk every day for instance on richer price beat I got the 49inch with sound bar for £1049.10 at richers. The sound bar is quite good really at its best with films bass is tight and not overbearing. The tv picture is excellent android ok and remote is also ok. You view catch is poor slow and buggy you can turn it off and I would without hesitation. The biggest Black Friday deals will always be on stuff that doesn’t sell so well or older models so look out for deep discounts on the Panasonic tx55ex750 and the older dx802 in 58inch currently £999 at John Lewis.

Higgo

OK - another dumb question...
If I watch 95%+ of content through a Virgin V6 box (normal TV and sports etc), is there any benefit in getting the TV that does the best HDR as very little of what I watch will be HDR anyway? Should I go back to where I started and look for a decent TV for about £700? Something like the Sony XE70?

Plugman

Depends how much you want a good picture. The xe 90 will give you the best picture on sd & hd. 4K will also be good indeed this is probably the best 49/50 tv available currently. The xe 70 and the Panasonic EX 700 are value TVs imho. They will give good pictures on sd and hd but not the best. They will be severely flawed on 4K and hdr broadcasts though.