beamax r screen will not go back up

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by activeuk, Feb 25, 2005.

1. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi guys just got my 77" beamax screen it pulled out ok but it will not go back how do i do it i have tryed pulling it but no go

2. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the exact same problem... its a pain... I now have such a technique to do it.. its all in the wrist. I am now quite adept at it. I have to make the short pull down the you have to almost let it free retract up with resistance, I try and keep up with it though to stop it clattering back on the casing when fully retracted.

Its not satisfactory but I bought mine from some distance from home its this or a long drive to return it.

3. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yep I have this too.
    I even contacted discountv who kindly contacted beamax who said 99% of people are just not doing it right and it is not a fault as I suggested !
    They should redesign to make it easier. I do not think you should have to have a good technique.

Anwya like activuk said you pull it down a bit but virtually let go all the way to the top.
    It is a knack. One I have not mastered yet but it is getting easier and easier.

If you go down a bit and let go it will probably work up but you might break it.

I put my middle finger face down in the handle, push down and let it go to the top at a quick and consistent speed.
    :lesson:

Good luck ! Let us know how you get on. Once you can do it it is like being in a special club which my wife is not a member.

4. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    its a real pain still not been able to do it are there any better screens out there at the end of the month i will be looking at geting a 92 "

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I still cannot get my screen up.

Have given up though I suspect it is a fault as has dent on casing.

Cap.

6. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    no my one will still not go up get it to go about half way up then it stops:(]

7. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    out of interest try letting go after you pull down a couple of inches... at your own risk of course

if it goes up then it is just down to technique

by the way I agree it is rubbish

where did you guys get it from?

I got mine from discounttv.

Also anyone from beamax care to comment. I think I have seen Otto's name around !

8. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i got my one from discounttv if i pull down and just let go it goes half way up then stops

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    mine also came from discount tv, but do not fear, the service there is second to none :lesson:

Give em a call. Pam or Benji will help you out. A retailer that is a credit to the forums.

Mine is on its way back by the way.

Cap :)

10. Screen Scene

Screen Scene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harkness Hall , full range of Manual Screens square , 4:3 & HDTV ratios 3 year warranty.

11. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi there,

It seems like there have been some people experiencing problems with the pull-down screens.

As some people have mentioned, it is a thing you have to learn. This is not just the case with our manual screens, but goes for all manufacturers which use the spring-operated system.

The way it works is as follows:
    There is a hammer which blocks the screens in certain positions. This hammer will be pushed outwards by the centrifugal force, which comes in to play as the spring winds or unwinds. As soon as there is an increase or decrease in the speed of winding or unwinding, the hammer will fall inward again, blocking the screen.

With this background, there are a few "tricks" to make it easier:
    1. Make sure the downward motion is made fluently. This prevents the screen from getting blocked by the hammer.
    2. Hold the screen fabric at an angle (compared to the wall). This makes it sometimes easier to make the fluid motion
    3. Ask somebody else to try it. Some people get it straightaway, others have to be shown. In general, women seem to be more sensitive and are better at this than men ;)

If there is really something wrong with the spring, it is shown by the following signs:
    1. The screen is not level and will hang down a bit more on one side than the other.
    2. The screen fabric touches the casing itself, which is indicating by a scraping noise and possibly markings/damage to the screen fabric.

I hope this is helpful, but if not let me know and I'll try to make an even more detailed description.

Otto

12. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Must admit I thought it was broken.

I have had no problems for a while now.

I now amuse myself by trying to get others to do it. No one else can.

13. jace22

jace22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    this screen is part of a package im intrested in anybody have any complaints other than the above mentioned
    has anyone got major ripples or hot spots etc.

thanks in advance