1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beamax R-Black Screens Offer.. too good 2 be true?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dazzler2409, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the following screen for £169 online:

Beamax R-Black 92" Diagonal (visable area 203x114cm) 1.1 gain

This seems a vertible bargain but before I commit myself has anyone of you had any experience of these screens?

The outfit selling is offering £100 off the cost of the screen when purchased with Panny AE700... Seems liek a steal to me??

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on how much they're charging for the Pannie ! :)

I have no problem giving £100 discount (I'm not in AV sales !) if I can add £110 to the price before I apply it :laugh:

3. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panny is £1299 inc free pixel check so total for Panny and Beamax screen is £1369 (whcih sounds like an unlucky nite out)

4. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like a good buy but can anyone confirm if Beamax screens are decent nad what will the quality of the Panny be like on a screen of this size when fed with a Samsung HD945 via HDMI cable ?

I only ask this as i'm now looking to get a little more serious by upgrading my Mitsubishi HC3 (which i've had a lot of fun with) and 6" screen.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

From my experience of looking at screens they all seem to be very good at the price points relative.

I used to have a granview which is a very good copy of a da-lite. They all more or less have the same housing, rolling (manual or electrical) system and most have a gain of 1.1 which is ideal for an LCD unit. Have also seen Owl, Draper and so on.

Check out

www.intoav.com

www.nexnix.co.uk

For other reasonable screens.

Cap :)

6. dion

dion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have the Beamax in white housing and whilst I would prefer a tab tensioned electric screen, I can not afford it yet! The screen is flat (I have the next size up) and image is fine from my Sim2 domino 30H.

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I believe that DRH make a truley outstanding screen for less than similar price.I have seen many incarnations of their screens with dlp and lcd projectors and they are pound for pound inline with the best.
    The extra you pay is for the box it rolls away in and a little prestige, you know? A Honda is more reliable than a BMW but the BMW has greater prestige. So I suppose it depends on what is important to you and what your budget is...

Ive read many complaints about the OWL screens not being true (spot on) 16:9 which would drive me nuts and that they suffer bad screen curl and wrinkling.... and that the Bmax looks incredibly cheap (lumps of angle iron bolted together)!

I believe tab-tensioned screens are made from a different material to normal screen due to there elasticity content which decreases rapidly over time leaving you with a warped/wrinkled screen, however im sure this differs from maker to maker.

CH

8. tomos

tomos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've been looking at the Beamax screen (106 inch) and a panny 700 so i second Salty Seadogs Q about how the quality would be

9. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again,

Well after much thought and deliberation I took the plunge and bought the said bargain quoted at the top of the show.

Without raving too much about the Panny 700 (which incidently would look great shone on the s**t-house door!!!) The screen seems to offer everything you could want. its in a subtle black casing and has plenty of variable black top to the 16:9 screen area to offer scope for adjusting viewing height. This is great when you want to set up for a "situp-and-pay-attention" or a more relaxed "lounge-on-the-sofa" session.

One minor niggle must be mentioned though is the certain knack required to retract the screen mechanism. I have sussed it now after some practice, the good-lady however has give up... hence I wish I had stuck my kneck out for the all singing-all dancing electric remote number as Dazzler here has to do the honours every night.

One last thing before I finish... The guys at Discount TV (Roy Jowett's Hifi) were superb. I drove down as aposed to mailorder (150 mile round trip) and it was worth it to be looked after by Ben and the team in a way I thought died years ago. Proper family outfit prepared to "help" as well as offer belting deals. Top marks, my dealer of the year for 2004!!!!!

10. tomos

tomos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great :) thats where i plan to buy from - end of next month for my birthday :D

11. daredevill

daredevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have a beemax screen and ues a screenplay 7200 cant fault the screen and it was cheap from there website in the clearence section as it was an old model. BEST buy yet and great quality.