1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beamax Projection Screens (and Masking)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamesgrahamuk, Oct 14, 2004.

1. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    During what may turn out to be an epic length of time waiting for my new Panasonic 700 PJ I am busying myself with equipment moves, rewiring, a spot of redecoration and, of course, deciding on a screen.

At the moment, I am leaning towards the 6ft Beamax A-Series, a 16:9 Matt White fixed screen. HiFiBitz are doing them for about £330 - which seems fine to me.

I would be interested to hear comments from anybody out there familiar with Beamax screens.

Also, I was wondering about masking (for 2.35:1, 4:3, etc). Seeing as any manufactured solution to this seems to carry an outrageous cost I was thinking along the lines of cutting some plyboard to size (two vertical masks and two horizontals), covering them in black felt and then employing something low-tech like press-studs, catches or even velcro to fix them in place when required.

Has anybody tried anything similair? Perhaps you could give me some pointers.

2. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi..

I just got a Beamax A frame screen.. after having a few problems with some of their R- Black series.. and got a cheaper upgarde..

The A Frames instructions are not that great.. but its been great so far now its mounted on the wall..

I haven't ever needed to look at any more masking.. in a darkened room it looks great anyway with mt TX1000

3. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do these screens require assembly?

4. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep.. They come in a longish box..

4 Aluminium parts to the frame.. a little screwing is required.. once you have figured out what they don't tell you in the manual.

Then you have to thread some poles through the screen fbric and it secures to the frame using some tensioned rubbers..

It didn't take that long to assemble it.. but you will need some space to do it.

Looks good once its up.. my misus said it just looked like a large plasma screen..

5. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pgre,

I just got my one delivered today and I started to assemble it at lunchtime but I'm back in work now.

You are right about the vague instructions. There is a bundle of screws and metal brackets (other than the two that fix to the top of the frame) that the instructions don't even mention.

What the hell are they for?

Also, how have you fixed your screen to the wall? I was expecting some sort of fixing to be included in the package.

6. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have you managed to get it up yet!!!!!!!!!!

7. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saucy!

;)

Yes, I now have it fixed to the wall and it looks great - just waiting for the AE700 now...

:(