"Beam" mounted speaker choice ?

N

Noger

Hi,

Appologies in advance for a bit of a long winded question !

Following a spectacular U-turn by her indoors, I now need some more speakers for the HT.

Currently we use the living room for both music and AV, with AVI Neutron IV's as the front speakers, a REL subwoofer, and some old JBL monitors as rears. DVD and CD playback are split, with the AV Amp (Yamaha 750) driving the dedicated Music Amp for AV.

The missus has now decided that she would prefer the cinema in the kitchen/family room. However this is a "barn" like construction with lots of beams. These would seem ideal for high mounting of some sort of small speaker, as there is a cross beam behind the listening position and one just above where the screen will be. There are hidden channels for the lights, so the cabling will all be out of sight which is great.

Firstly, is it OK to have to speakers fairly high above the screen, pointing down ?

Given that the Sub will be moving rooms, do manufacturers sell their speaker setups without subs ?

Any recommendations for something small to be screwed to a wooden beam ? The Kef Eggs seem an obvious choice, but is there anything else I should be looking at ? Budget of around £500 I guess. They won't be doing any serious music playback, just movie tracks.

Ta.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom