Beachgoers 'should have to pay'???

Beachgoers 'should have to pay'?

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 92.9%

• Total voters

Drd

A silly idea,it will just drive more people to Spain for their holidays with less income from tourists in Britain.

Steven

Senior Moderator
No, parking charges shouldn't be raised

Call me sceptical, but I support the causes of the coastguard, enviroment, wildlife protection etc. Just don't trust them to actually give all the money to said causes before wasting half the cash on red tape and such

Rather they just put up collection boxes, say next to a ice cream stand, so it doesn't get in way

Miyazaki

Novice Member
The parking is already that expensive down here.

The trouble is that people from up-country litter and pollute our beaches throughout the summer, and the water rates in the south west are astronomical because of it.

If they spread the cost of cleaning up the south west's beaches nationwide, that would be a fairer way than charging to goto the beaches.

Bigbury beach is an absolute disgrace in the summer, it makes me feel sick seeing all these idiots littering it. It is a beautiful beach to behold in the winter when it is clean.

Ian J

Banned
Games Guru said:
The trouble is that people from up-country litter and pollute our beaches throughout the summer, and the water rates in the south west are astronomical because of it.

If they spread the cost of cleaning up the south west's beaches nationwide, that would be a fairer way than charging to goto the beaches.
I don't think it fair at all that I should contribute to keeping the Devon beaches clean as if anyone should pay it's either the local businesses that depend on tourism or the tourists themselves.

The Devon water rates are amongst the highest in the land but it has more to do with the years of complacency and mismanagement on behalf of SW Water than clearing up litter and pollution after the tourists.

Bev478

Novice Member
:lease: can they charge £20 extra & keep all the tourists away from our beaches :thumbsup: :rotfl: :rotfl: Or even better - stick a barrier across all access roads to the south west & charge tourists as they arrive & then locals can park for free :devil: :clap: :clap:

Seriously - I don't think the charges at the beaches are too bad (charges in the cities are a different story) - have just had a long weekend in the Lands End area, never paid more than £4 for all day. One was free 'cos it was out of season. I don't think a few quid extra would be too bad & I go to the beach nearly every weekend in summer. Haven't a huge objection IF monies collected are guaranteed (& accountable) to go towards enviroment/cleanup/lifeguards (who I believe are provided by the RNLI? - voluntary supported) & other directly related services. I do get fed up at paying almost the highest water rates in the country, a lot of which goes towards water treatment before discharge into the sea. Whether by years of mismanagement by SWW or not - 3% of the population pay to clean 30% of the coastline - which is available to anyone who wishes to visit. (Please leave us alone :devil: )

overkill

am getting really annoyed with all these charges that the goverment try and stick on you
It's up to the local authority, not the govt, to set parking fees. In the South of France they have schemes like this in place, and have done for years.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Good point Overkill, it seems like the government get blamed for everything these days! It's the easy answer every time... The problem isn't the fee itself, but the fact that people don't see the link any more with the fee and the end product. Its a fact people that motorists pay less today than any time in the last 25 years all in!