Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Beachgoers 'should have to pay'???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stealther, Oct 5, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    92.9%
  1. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Just read this article and wondered what people think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4311472.stm

For those who cant be bothered to read whole article It has been suggested that people be charged up to £4 to visit beaches in the southwest.[​IMG]

Sounds like just another tax on the motorist.[​IMG]

The great think about the beaches in this country is that they offer free or cheap days out for families.

2. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    A silly idea,it will just drive more people to Spain for their holidays with less income from tourists in Britain.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,429
    No, parking charges shouldn't be raised

Call me sceptical, but I support the causes of the coastguard, enviroment, wildlife protection etc. Just don't trust them to actually give all the money to said causes before wasting half the cash on red tape and such

Rather they just put up collection boxes, say next to a ice cream stand, so it doesn't get in way

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,707
    i am getting really annoyed with all these charges that the goverment try and stick on you!! and wnt the local business and our tourism industry suffer from it?

5. nogg

nogg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'd happily pay £4 to avoid a beach like that in the photo :rolleyes:

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The parking is already that expensive down here.

The trouble is that people from up-country litter and pollute our beaches throughout the summer, and the water rates in the south west are astronomical because of it.

If they spread the cost of cleaning up the south west's beaches nationwide, that would be a fairer way than charging to goto the beaches.

Bigbury beach is an absolute disgrace in the summer, it makes me feel sick seeing all these idiots littering it. It is a beautiful beach to behold in the winter when it is clean.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I don't think it fair at all that I should contribute to keeping the Devon beaches clean as if anyone should pay it's either the local businesses that depend on tourism or the tourists themselves.

The Devon water rates are amongst the highest in the land but it has more to do with the years of complacency and mismanagement on behalf of SW Water than clearing up litter and pollution after the tourists.

8. Bev478

Bev478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :lease: can they charge £20 extra & keep all the tourists away from our beaches :thumbsup: :rotfl: :rotfl: Or even better - stick a barrier across all access roads to the south west & charge tourists as they arrive & then locals can park for free :devil: :clap: :clap:

Seriously - I don't think the charges at the beaches are too bad (charges in the cities are a different story) - have just had a long weekend in the Lands End area, never paid more than £4 for all day. One was free 'cos it was out of season. I don't think a few quid extra would be too bad & I go to the beach nearly every weekend in summer. Haven't a huge objection IF monies collected are guaranteed (& accountable) to go towards enviroment/cleanup/lifeguards (who I believe are provided by the RNLI? - voluntary supported) & other directly related services. I do get fed up at paying almost the highest water rates in the country, a lot of which goes towards water treatment before discharge into the sea. Whether by years of mismanagement by SWW or not - 3% of the population pay to clean 30% of the coastline - which is available to anyone who wishes to visit. (Please leave us alone :devil: )

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    It's up to the local authority, not the govt, to set parking fees. In the South of France they have schemes like this in place, and have done for years.

10. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Good point Overkill, it seems like the government get blamed for everything these days! It's the easy answer every time... The problem isn't the fee itself, but the fact that people don't see the link any more with the fee and the end product. Its a fact people that motorists pay less today than any time in the last 25 years all in!