1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be wary of Hitachi Projectors-fan Noise and Dust blobs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thepostman, Sep 21, 2005.

1. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple thread- have owned the Pj100 for about ayear awsome pic simply apaling fan noise!!!! that spoils your films-how about a projector that when the room is even slighty warm goes from whisper to normal which Fyi is like the whining from a 737 landing then NEVER goes bacck to whisper even when the room cools down..........then there's dust blobs internally AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

steer well clear of hitachi projectors or else.....IMHO :thumbsdow

good news is that the other half can't stand the fan noise so i am changing it

Thx

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    What's its Db rating, as a matter of interest? The Sanyo Z3 is 23Db (very quiet) in low lamp mode and doesn't seem to budge from that, no matter how hot the room gets (or at least that's been my experience of it).

Regards

Mark

3. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If the fan is upping its RPM due to a hot room then that could be due to the PCB being coated in dust.

My PC fan was whirring like a jet plane after a few mins of use. Opened up the case, vacumed the dust from the heat sink powered back up and it now runs silent.

Went from 80 degrees to 50 degrees.

So....its possible your PJ is gunked up with dust and thats why its upping its fan speed to try and cool it down.

I also think Hitachi pj's are louder than normal anyway, in the 27db range and up.

Anim

4. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does the heat sink look like??? and where is it when you lift the lid off

Thx

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Not sure of the exact db but it's around that sort of figure and my TX, like your Z3, doesn't budge from that no matter how long its on or how warm the room. Other posters have mentioned loud fans with the TX though, unsure if it's just a case of getting a "noisey one" or whether it's to do with location.

As for dust, it's the bane of many projectors however with the TX it is more problematic if it happens because of the difficulty of getting the case off. And by the looks of the TX200 this may continue to be an issue.

...PJ :)