be understanding......

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by nickg1, Feb 26, 2002.

1. nickg1

nickg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I'm getting very interested in this whole Pronto lark but would appreciate some advice from the experts - yourselves.

I have a w/s tv, dvd, video and ntl dig cable. I know that the Pronto won't work with the cable box (I'm not a total d***head) but am planning to change to sky soon anyway, and possibly sky +.

So - do I need a 2meg Pronto, or just the 1meg ?

Will a Pronto work with Sky +, or Tivo come to that, just in case ?

Is letsautomate.com a reliable place to buy from ? If not, what other outlets are ?

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You can get a 2Mb version from Richer Sounds for £149.
    Letsautomate.com is a great site (that's were I got my Pronto years ago) to deal with too.

I would think that both Sky+ and Tivo would work with the Pronto as I can't remember anyone moaning about problems with them.

As for the need to get 2Mb or 1Mb - mine is a 1Mb model and I'm just using over 50% of it for my current setup. So I can't see space being an issue, but since the 2Mb is going so cheap at Richers I'd get one of those.

3. nickg1

nickg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sir, you are a gentleman.

I have been having a look at pronto edit and trying to read the instruction manual off the pronto website - is it as difficult to use as it seems at first glance ?????

4. nickg1

nickg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer's website lists the 2meg version at £188 plus docking station at £34.
    when/where did you see it for £149 ??

5. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick, to answer some of your questions, in no particular order.

Richer Sounds' advert in the March What Hi-Fi has the 2Mb Pronto at £149, so it's probably worth calling them at least.

There are example ccfs (Pronto/RC5000 configuration file), a forum, manuals and FAQs for the Pronto/RC5000 at www.remotecentral.com . It's well worth downloading ccfs to see what can be done, and to see the different approaches people take. Play with the emulator in Pronto edit before yours arrives so that you can get as close to a finished(!) config as possible. It's worth reading up on Aliases too!

I don't use fancy graphics on mine and have 68% of memory free on a 1meg RC5000, despite controlling my Amp, TV, TiVo(with no problems), DVD, Tuner, VCR and Sky Digibox.

Martin.

6. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    nick

you need to go to www.remotecentral.com. There is an excellent forum as well as a v. detailed FAQ and unofficial user guide, loads of sample configurations, discrete codes etc. etc.

You do need to put in a fair amount of effort to get your Pronto working - it certainly isn't a "straigh out of the box" solution. Having said that it is realtively easy to just replicate your existing remotes - it is only when you start mapping tasks (eg "watch DVD") rather than actions (eg "TV on" or "Play DVD") that things get a bit slower. It's worth it though

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Nik

GO FOT IT m8!

I bought mine from letsautomate.com, came in less than two days.

I got the 2mb version. This maybe more than enough but who knows in the future if I add more devices.

Remember the old PC adage....
    "You can never have too much RAM"

I must admit I found Proto Edit very easy to use and had 6 devices configured in a few days.

Some people have said that you will be constantly tweaking your Pronto config file, but this is not true. I have had mine conifigured for well over a week now and don't feel the need to alter anything on it.

Download your matching device ccf files from www.remotecentral.com.
    This will save you learning each button on some, if not all your remotes.

One final, VERY useful tip.....

ALIASES, ALIASES, ALIASES

I can't stress enough the importance of these.
    DO use them, it'll make things a whole lot easier if you do.

BTW, I have ntl Cable and that didn't stop me getting a Pronto.
    This is a lame excuse. If you have several remotes then it's worth it

8. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I had the same dilemma, I was recomended to get the 1M from others on this forum, I did and no problem.

I have mine fully programmed with 6 items and still have 77% free memory

Got mine at Xmas still on the same set of batteries, so docking station and nicads not at all essential

9. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SKY + works no problem with Pronto (any version). It is different than a SKY box but again I have both and can control both. Extremely useful to be able to record siomething at the last minute without worrying about if you have the correct blank tape in the video!