1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be honest 54g wireless HD streaming???

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ColdKilla, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just a quick msg can any of these players eg showcenter 200 stream HD movies from the pc over a 54g wireless network with no juttering / jerkiness or should I a) Go for a wired option (not very practical at all) or b) get a pc near plasma that will play the hd direct to the plasma (not very cheap!)

CK

2. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No chance. Not enough 'real world' bandwidth.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    on the better 'turbo' G solutions, you can get about 34Mb/s real world bandwidth. Thats with the same brand of wireless receiver/access point, and about 2 metres apart with no obstructions.

that'll drop quite a bit through walls, if you have a DECT phone, if neighbours are using wifi, if you have other wireless equipment.

I have DECT, my neighbours have wifi, I have a wireless 'b' printer on my network (usually slows the whole thing down) and I usually get about 20Mb/s between my wireless access point and my PC. Thats a belkin pre-N setup, MIMO.

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think the consensus is that 54g is fine for streaming standard def MPEG2 and Divx style video - I have no problems streaming off-air MPEG2 and DVD-level MPEG2 around the house.

However for HD MPEG2 stuff it is more marginal, as the data rate is much closer to the maximum that 54g can deliver continuously.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I've never cracked wireless and HD, I use old fashioned copper :) Would be great....

6. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Or if you can wait until the tail end of 2006 for 802.11n to be standardised then you could get a 540 Mbps device (probably in 2007).

Standards eh? So many to choose from! :rotfl:

7. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I've no problem using 802.11g to stream HiDef (1280x720) MPEG2 and XVID to my SC200. However, anything over about 12Mbps will stutter, but all the legal material I've got for HiDef streaming is well below that bitrate, around 6Mbps. Of course, if you can put a hard-wired connection in, then do, it will always be faster.

8. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I guess my other alternative is to build a pc with a wireless card and a decent gfx and hdd and sit it by the plasma - copy the data to the units hdd and then run it off that pc. Can this be done at a reasonable price tho????

I do have an 4200ti GT GFX card with DVI out already which is not being used or wud I need a more powerful gfx card too??? My main PC is running a 6600GT but as I said a hard wired approach in this instance is not an option!

CK

9. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    One other option is to use a USB2 HDD, and plug that directly into a SC200. You're limited to FAT32 and so file sizes of 4GB. Load the files onto the HDD, unplug it from your PC and plug it into the SC200.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    DECT phones do not interfere with wireless PC networks - they are on a different frequency (1.8GHZ, as opposed to 2.4GHz for Wifi and Bluetooth).

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    What I do, is watch my video through my xbox, modded with Xbox Media Centre.

I also have a buffalo linkstation Network drive. Both are wired to my router, and then wireless to my PC.

I copy any videos I want to watch to the NAS, then watch from there.

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yes - or you could have a small networked hard drive connected to a media player via wired Ethernet sat close to the player, and copy stuff wirelessly to this - you'd need a wireless adaptor as well I guess? (Not sure if the SC200 will stream directly from a NAS - some do, some don't)