Be gentle...... I am definately no tecchie

Olias

Established Member
Reaction score
Object:
To set up a new home cinema system with minimal wiring, maximum simplicity, maximum quality and lowest cost.... Oh and to use the plasma screen for internet access too. Easy huh?

Current hardware: (make maximum use of this to keep cost down)
Sony DAV S500, Linksys 54g wireless network with 2 pc's on current network.

Current thoughts:
I heard that the simplest set up wouuld be to connect the S500 to the Sky plus box and the Skyplus box to the Plasma and do away with the VCR completely and connect a pc direct to the plasma??? I'll take advise on this.

Having read up on the options I am currently torn between the Panasonic TH-42PHD5 for high definition that maybe better to view web pages with. The Panasonic TH-42PW6B coz it's newer and seems better quality for watching films and the Sony PFM-42B2 that can I believe act as a monitor for a pc via the wireless connection. I haven't a clue which screen would give the best pictures though?

I am open minded about these choices for hardware and the set up, so considering I know nothing / very little about the subject, what setup should I use to get the best out of what I buy and what exactly should I buy???

Suggestions and advice in everyday English please <hehe>

Ditch the davs, not sufficient quality. Thought about the pio. MXE, cheaper than the hi res panny? DVI for PC, then why bother with a dvd player, just pop the disc in the drive.

Thanks for the quick reply MAW.

So to translate then, the DAV is not good enough and I might as well not have a dvd at all as I could use the pc to watch films on. Sounds cool but then I need to buy a new surround sound system which I wasn't budgetting for. I'll take recommendations on which one but I might have to stick with the DAV for the sound until I can afford to upgrade it.... What would be good enough at a reasonable price?

"Thought about the pio" Is that a pioneer screen or audio system? Not sure what you meant.... "MXE is cheaper than the high res Panny" MXE???? Whats that?

Will I need a high res screen for using the pc or would standard res be good enough?

DVI?

<hehe> Told you I wasn't a tecchie........

MXE is pio model No DVI (digital video interface ) Better than VGA (normal PC). Perhaps a plasma and a PC would be best. If DAVS has digital audio input it can be used short term for audio only. PErhaps you should search more on Pionner plasmas and compare to panny's (also consider Fujitsu)

No probs, Pioneer screen is 433MXE. Panel the same as the 434hde, hi res. It's needed as you can't get a modern windows desktop onto a std res screen, assuming you run it at native res, only 480 pixels high. hi res are xga, which is ok

The DAVS has digital in and out jacks that are fibre optic. Any good?

OK so for the best quality I need a Hi Res screen with a DVI.

Now I have a screen, a pc, DAVS (shorter term) and Sky+ box. So what connects to what?

PC sound card (must be DD/DTS compatible), optical audio out and Sky+ optical audio out to AMP (DAV for time being[optical switcher available if DAV only has one input]) RGB from Sky+ to screen and DVi from PC to screen.
Simple really!

Really simple:D I should have known...

I suppose the spec of the pc is going to be important so I'll need the right video and sound cards. Will the video card need to be a 'Pixel Perfect' card or would say an ATI all in wonder do?

Regarding the screen, how about the Panasonic TH-42PHD5BX with a DVI and RGB input fitted....I believe they are extra ??

Could you recommend a good HD screen with these already fitted that is reasonable?

Yes the pioneer 433mxe! XGA is not that taxing, any modern card will display it no trouble. Sound, most use the m-audio cards.

I do believe it's sinking in MAW ;) .... So it's the 433MXE then.....

Thanks, that a saving of £1000 already :smashin:

I'll let you know how I get on.....

Good point.

I have a little time before taking the plunge. I need to build a pc first, I currently have a 15" Phillips matchline lcd hooked up to a pc in another room that works really well but the pc is an old PII 350 with a Soundblaster 64 and and Intel 8meg i740 graphics card. Not enough to use for this application.

I also need a builder in to prepare the room as the plasma will be housed on a wall backing onto the stairwell and I want to utilise some of the understair space to make a cupboard to house the pc, DAVS and SDky+ machines. That way most of the wiring can be channelled through the wall under the stairs and be invisible. It's only a small house so maximising space is essential.

This is the planning and evaluation stage which, lets face it, is the most important if I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money, I end up with good set up and I get maximum advantage from the purchase.

Can't wait to play some good pc games on a set up like this :clap:

MAW, Searching for the MXE I notice some have it listed as MXEV.

Is there a difference please and if so what does the 'V' give in addition?

Thanks

v is grey, s is silver as far as I remember, I'll grovel in the stockroom later, forgive my memory lapse. Don't know where you are but could prob arrange a comparison of a few screens inc mxe.

Aha, thanks. You are right, I called one of the online stockists and they have confirmed the MXEV is black and the S is silver.

Well I want it in Silver and so far the best price I have found is £2900.76.... Which seems pretty good to me :D

I'm based in Ilford, Essex......stockroom? you are a dealer then? that explains the excellent knowledge...

I am a dealer, and it's not worth my while to beat that price, they are making about £25 on it probably:rotfl: Just to try and up their discount level with Pioneer. I don't go there, I'd rather build in a margin to get the thing installed right, and make sure the customer is happy. You can get all the info you need to do this on the forum, it's just a case of putting it into practice.

I appreciate the honesty MAW and truly if only I had the budget. I'd love to put my feet up knowing that the install was as good as it gets.

Mind you I'd love a pound for every time I wish I'd called the experts in....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom