1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be afraid... be very afraid...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, May 28, 2003.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
  2. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Oh.....my....god..... scary geek alert!!

Just hilarious - thanks for the heads up.

3. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly the most hilarious thread I have ever viewed :D :D

These guys are freaks!

4. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaah, pots and kettles, have a look for some of the threads on here about French writing on DVD covers and snapper cases and the like......

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Oh no KRRK! Don't get them started on that one again!

:rolleyes:

6. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really like them snappers, me...

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Me too - who cares if the case breaks? Anyone know of any good bi-lingual snapper sleeves? :smashin:

8. j_morgan54

j_morgan54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just love it when these guys get stuck into each other like that.

First type: the abusers, for example: You are a moron, F Off etc. Second type: the reasoned reply. Third type: opinions don't matter anyway.

Any others?

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    You forgot to mention the self-abusers. There's LOTS of them... :devil:

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    makes u wonder though why are some people so snobbish they assume one persons opinion that citizen kane isnt so great is any less valid than perhaps an opinion that lord of the rings is and will be considered a classic in 50 years time ? now don't assume that is my view pauley as u seem to do a helluva lot of assuming on these threads but just try to bear in mind we all have opinions and people don't always agree, it doesnt mean u have to write threads about it
    p.s. most of my dvds are from canada and contain french writing and talkin bout kettles i'm off for a cuppa

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What has "snobbish" got to do with anything? I notice that term used with alarming regularity on forums when trying to denigrate an argument - usually against fans of "classic" or "art-house" (awful term) cinema. Its constant use in this particular manner really does smack of insecurity.

Maybe some of the defenders of "Kane" on that IMDB thread aren't "snobbish" - maybe they're just more cine-literate, or heaven forbid (WARNING TO MODERATOR - DIRTY WORD COMING!), intelligent. So let's just forget this reverse snobbery and drop the "snobbish" bit in these arguments, huh?

Have you read the IMDB thread we're discussing? I've seen things at the bottom of a petrie dish with more intelligence than many of the people posting there - and I'm including both the "Kane" and "LOTR" camps. That's not elitism by the way, just good observational skills...

I don't for a moment assume it's your point of view - and please don't assume that I do. See? It works both ways matey! .;)

Perhaps you'd like to point me to where I've done a "...helluva lot of assuming on these threads..." then maybe I can answer specific points rather than a generalization. Although, in general terms, one does sometimes tend to have to "assume" as many of the points made - on internet forums in general - are semi-literate, incoherent, and direct questions seldom receive a direct answer. Not to mention the fact that the comma, full stop and capitalization seem to be radical concepts for many users of the old www - so a guy's just gotta try and fill in the blanks...

As to the latter part of your statement (slap my wrist if I'm making an assumption here) you seem to be saying it's OK for people to post threads containing their opinions, but someone with an opposing viewpoint is somehow at fault for replying.

That would make for a pretty dull forum, wouldn't it?

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me for even typing and since when do i need a comma or fullstop to make a point ?

fact is i love all cinema but i was merely trying to point out u seem very very highly strung and debate is fine but for heaven's sake calm down lol

13. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Was I refering to you? I wasn't, but I suppose if the cap fits... The point I was making was that some grasp of basic grammar and punctuation helps those of us who are lumbered with a command of the English language to understand what some of the Ali G soundalikes on these forums are rambling on about. There's a purpose to sharing a common language and the rules that go with it - when people make up their own rules it's a bit like The Tower of Babel. Nothing wrong with language evolving - a healthy thing, but the tendency in many internet forums is for it to devolve, which is when it all gets a bit worrying...

Take for example the train wreck of a sentence in your previous posting:

Study it very, very closely - given the subject matter, it's a tad contradictory isn't it?

Highly strung? I think not - I always argue with clean hands and composure - much more effective - as you well know! :D

Don't confuse "highly strung" with visible impatience or irritation with some of the sub-literate rants one encounters on the good old 'net...

And, for example, as I pointed out in my last post, the annoyance of trying to conduct a debate when one person doesn't have the courtesy answer a direct question from the other. A point that you have just proven... :smashin:

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh heh.

You need to use a capital "I" when explaining about yourself.

"I walked to the shops"

You also need to break up your sentences, and not have a single paragraph of writing. You could add full-stops after each sentence. Then a space after the full-stop before a new word.

I've set myself up for flames now! :)

15. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Oh Nathan, you little mixer! :eek:

Don't worry about the flames mate - they require a spark to produce them... :devil:

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a post I wrote a while ago...:) tried to misspell each word!

"hay mi spel ling iz grate i hav 'th bezt spel ling inn theze four ums .

itz knot mi fult u can t reed wot eye right"

17. neilos70

neilos70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    its all bollo...if one man likes one thing, who am i or he or she to argue or scorn if we do not like...

relax and do your own thing i say...be happy!

18. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    :nono: :nono: one should never assume as it makes an ass out of u and me and is the mother of all ****ups:lesson:

19. neilos70

neilos70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    its a weird and colourful world...i repeat be happy!

hey im a closet hippy ( with a name like neil) :)

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Ah, but being the human animals we are, there are times when one cannot help but assume...

For example the following thread, again from the IMDB, contains contributions by a person named Corsten. Surely we're to be forgiven for assuming Corsten to be a fully functioning (ANATOMICALLY DESCRIPTIVE EXPLETIVE DELETED)?

Check it out, and read through the entire thread - it's even more fun than the first link I posted... and remember my warning - be afraid... be very afraid...

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/board/thread/1496083