Be 20mb or Cable 50mb- no brainer ?

Fe_man2000

Hi There,

I am soon to be moving into a new house that has 50mb Cable service availble, this house also has BeUlimited LLU availble which sam knowns rates at full 24mb more or less. Now I have been with Be for a couple of years and am very happy with them and the general approach, I think I generally download around 25-30gb a WEEK so I am a medium to heavy user.

Moneys not an issue in this and I am out of contract with Be so - do I duymp them and get 50mb cable or not ? Personally it seems that even with some throttling I would still be better off with cable , is this a no brainer ??

Opinons and any things to watch out for from cable users out there ?

thanks

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Do Be* throttle p2p and usenet during certain hours? VM do.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Do Be* throttle p2p and usenet during certain hours? VM do.

As long as you're not causing a huge problem, then no, they don't. Personally, I share the Be* connection with two others who like to use iPlayer etc so in peak times, I disable my file transfers and schedule them for 2am-11am instead.

In a fortnight, the router statistics show 350GB down and 50GB up with no qualms. Have a look on the VM forum and see what you think - some people dislike the peak-time approach; for me, it makes no difference, as most ISPs are extremely lenient outside these times.

For 30GB a week, 50Mbit might be overkill, but then again, it might encourage you to use the additional bandwidth :)

I've head customer service dealings with both firms and Be* wins hands down in my opinion, though I am certain many others could say VM were just fine. I just really cannot stress how excellent I feel Be* service is!

Fe_man2000

Yeah I agree about the service from Be - Its been very good, but I cannot resist those bigger download numbers - the internet is paid for by my company so I might as well get the faster service and risk any slow downs in peak times. As long as it isnt slowed lower than 20mb I dont care as that is what I would get from Be. Fingers crossed it doesnt have a fault in the future that needs tech support.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Yeah I agree about the service from Be - Its been very good, but I cannot resist those bigger download numbers - the internet is paid for by my company so I might as well get the faster service and risk any slow downs in peak times. As long as it isnt slowed lower than 20mb I dont care as that is what I would get from Be. Fingers crossed it doesnt have a fault in the future that needs tech support.

If it's free and you are willing to take a risk with any potential CS issues (not exactly guaranteed and likely) then yes, no brainer. Get the faster line :)

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

Fe_man2000

I dont really use P2P (or newsgroups) at all - warcraft uses it a bit for patches but I dont download anyything from it. Thje VM forums are full of angry people compaining about recent throttling in the evening that is not supposed to happen but the posts are kinda messy at the moment so I cannot tell how widespread an issue this is - I dont move for a couple of months so time enough to see whats what - who am I fooling I am going to go for it I think when I get there.

thanks for the replys

The thing of it is that VM has been problematic all over - it isn't just wow - I can be playing CoD Black Ops, and expect pings of around 72ms...Which is actually kind of atrocious. In all honesty, I'm contemplating switching to Sky and taking them up on their unlimited 20mb deal, as I've concluded that I really don't need 50mb internet for the sake of downloading a couple of TV shows a week and gaming.

jb66

Even with the 50meg throttling it'll probably still be faster than ADSL, go for virgin.

Also they have a 28 day satisfaction guarantee so you can cancel if you have issues

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom