BDV-E280 & "fat" PS3 audio connectivity problem

myunhen

Standard Member
Hi there!
This is my first post in this forum, and hope that someone might be able to point me in the right direction…

First up, here is my AV-set-up situation:
“Fat” Japanese 20GB PS3 (region A blu-ray playback) → Sony BDV-E280 → Toshiba 40LV655P (no ARC) ; all connected via HDMI

Here the tech-spec-facts I know about my set-up, just so that I don't look like complete noob who hasn't read up on his equipment:

Old “fat” PS3s have no HD audio bitstreaming capability; for full HD audio, one needs to set the PS3 to Linear PCM (LPCM), it decodes internally and passes the decoded DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD audio on to a receiver as lossless LPCM HD audio. Output over bitstream results in lossy 5.1 DTS core or DD core audio streams, just like standard DVDs.

The Sony BDV-E280 has 2 HDMI-IN ports, however, external LPCM input is output to maximum of 2ch LPCM, for whatever reason that limitation may be. This tech-spec is well hidden in the owner's manual at the very bottom of the list about its audio capabilities, and is almost nowhere to be found in any product descriptions on any sites that sell the surround sound system.

I really don't mind this fact, as the BDV-E280 is an absolutely fantastic system for small rooms and really is worth its money. 85% of my blu-rays are Region B/Region All anyway, so I can experience full HD audio via blu-ray playback through this system.

However, I have a few selected US and Japanese blu-rays which are Region A only, which leaves me with playback through my PS3.

Resigned to the fact, that I won't get HD audio from my PS3, I am trying to get at least the lossy 5.1 DTS & Dolby core surround audio streams.
I set the PS3 to bitstream out over HDMI, connected it to the HDMI-IN port 1 of the BDV-E280, set the BDV-E280s surround options to A.F.D. standard, which should give out the audio source as it is being input.

So, unless I somewhere made a mistake, blu-ray audio output from my PS3 through the BDV-E280 system should look like this:
5.1 DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD streams through bitstream→ 5.1 DTS/DD core audio stream output → BDV-E280 A.F.D. standard setting → 5.1 DTS/DD core sound to audio recepticles (my ears).

Nevertheless, I keep on getting 2ch LPCM audio output only from the BDV-E280 when playing blu-rays with my PS3.

What gives? Help anyone. Any suggestions?

Thanks to anyone in advance for providing some advice.:)

P.S.: And, if anyone asks, optical input on BDV-E280 is already taken by an IPTV receiver, plus wherever I read up on similar topics, HDMI connection was always the preferred choice.

Last edited:

myunhen

Standard Member
Hi there!
This is my first post in this forum, and hope that someone might be able to point me in the right direction…

First up, here is my AV-set-up situation:
“Fat” Japanese 20GB PS3 (region A blu-ray playback) → Sony BDV-E280 → Toshiba 40LV655P (no ARC) ; all connected via HDMI

Here the tech-spec-facts I know about my set-up, just so that I don’t look like complete noob who hasn’t read up on his equipment:

Old “fat” PS3s have no HD audio bitstreaming capability; for full HD audio, one needs to set the PS3 to Linear PCM (LPCM), it decodes internally and passes the decoded DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD audio on to a receiver as lossless LPCM HD audio. Output over bitstream results in lossy 5.1 DTS core or DD core audio streams, just like standard DVDs.

The Sony BDV-E280 has 2 HDMI-IN ports, however, external LPCM input is output to maximum of 2ch LPCM, for whatever reason that limitation may be. This tech-spec is well hidden in the owner’s manual at the very bottom of the list about its audio capabilities, and is almost nowhere to be found in any product descriptions on any sites that sell the surround sound system.

I really don’t mind this fact, as the BDV-E280 is an absolutely fantastic system for small rooms and really is worth its money. 85% of my blu-rays are Region B/Region All anyway, so I can experience full HD audio via blu-ray playback through this system.

However, I have a few selected US and Japanese blu-rays which are Region A only, which leaves me with playback through my PS3.

Resigned to the fact, that I won’t get HD audio from my PS3, I am trying to get at least the lossy 5.1 DTS & Dolby core surround audio streams.
I set the PS3 to bitstream out over HDMI, connected it to the HDMI-IN port 1 of the BDV-E280, set the BDV-E280s surround options to A.F.D. standard, which should give out the audio source as it is being input.

So, unless I somewhere made a mistake, blu-ray audio output from my PS3 through the BDV-E280 system should look like this:
5.1 DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD streams through bitstream→ 5.1 DTS/DD core audio stream output → BDV-E280 A.F.D. standard setting → 5.1 DTS/DD core sound to audio recepticles (my ears).

Nevertheless, I keep on getting 2ch LPCM audio output only from the BDV-E280 when playing blu-rays with my PS3.

What gives? Help anyone. Any suggestions?

Thanks to anyone in advance for providing some advice.:)

P.S.: And, if anyone asks, optical input on BDV-E280 is already taken by an IPTV receiver, plus wherever I read up on similar topics, HDMI connection was always the preferred choice.

Seems like a few people have readt this thread, so for anyone who encounters a similar problem I'll just explain what seems to have been the problem and how I managed to fix it:

When streaming audio from the old "fat" PS3 (, don't know about the slim versions...) it seemingly it isn't enough, under the PS3 BD/DVD video output options, to simply set the audio output over HDMI to bitstream, but one needs to return to the xmb menu, scroll within Settings to sound options, click HDMI. On the next screen one is given the option, whether the PS3 should automatically select the most fitting audio options that should be streamed to the connected receiver or if one wants to select all the possible options manually.

Up until that point, I believed all the different posts in various different forums which recommended that PS3 owners should most of the time put everything within the PS3 on automatic, the PS3 will select the best possible options for you....
Well, surprise! Wrong assumption. :nono:

I clicked "select manually" and I was given a wealth of options of what audio options could possibly streamed over HDMI either via bitstream or LPCM to a receiver.
Each option could be checked or unchecked, and I discovered, that the only options that were currently checked at all were... 2ch LPCM at various hz frequencies only!:facepalm:
None of the multichannel options were checked at all!

Quickly clicked the DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 options at the top, went back to the main XMB menu.
Switched on my Sony BDV-E280, went to HDMI-IN1, the PS3 screen came up.
Inserted my Japanese Predators blu-ray (Region A) into the PS3, went to the BDs menu, selected English DTS-HD MA, pressed play and was presented with crisp, booming (albeit lossy non-HD) DTS 5.1 surround sound! Great stuff!:thumbsup:

Anyway, thanks to anyone who might have been willing to help!:)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom